Thread: AT Thru Hike

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock

AT Thru Hike

My wife and I are talking about doing a Thru hike of the AT. I wanted to ask on here for a little advice.

First, which UQ and TQ should I use being as we will be hiking thru multiple seasons.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Depends on where you start from, and at what time.
    The best plan is to change out from one temp to another during the hike, sometimes you need to go back to the warmer system later in the hike.

I use a 20 degree 3/4 length Phoenix and a 20 degree top quilt in colder times and a 50 degree set in warmer. If you start before March possibly some even lower rated.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've taken my 30° UQ and 40° TQ down to 27° and lived... although I wasn't totally comfortable. I also consider myself to be somewhat of a cold sleeper. Hopefully you can use that information to help make an informed decision based on your start time and location.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Extremely hard for us to help/answer your question without some much needed information.

NOBO or SOBO?

Start Date?

What type of sleeper are you? Hot? Cold?

What is your age?

Physical fitness level?

Metabolism?

What is the clothing your bringing?

Do you plan to supplement insulation in anyway?

I ask these things as I see many whom are asking this type of question and it would be wrong of someone to offer you suggestions on what to take without having vital information at hand. Staying warm at certain temps is different for everyone.

Also bear in mind that every year the weather is different, so what worked for last year or the year before that may or may not work for the upcoming thru season.

Temps can range from the 30's to single digits, with very high snow or almost none at all.

Also most women require a little more insulation than men, but not in every case. For example while a man may need a 15 degree set-up, a woman may need a 0 degree set-up.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but, hopefully you can provide us with some more info so we can offer better suggestions.

Good luck on your thru, if you are going to do a blog or journal we (well I) would love to see/read it as you are going along.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    i did south end January and February with zero degree Mt. Wash 4 and High Sierra Sniveler by JRB.
    August and Sept up north with JRB Nest and High Sierra Sniveller (both 40 degrees)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Seeing as that you are in Raleigh, you know what March is like in the North GA area. Its a crap shoot most years, and you'll find most hammockers have more that one UQ and TQ. You'll need to purchase them in advance, though, as most companies that sell them have waiting lists. IMO, choose a 20 degree TQ/UQ and supplement as needed, with something like reflectix or layering. Also, if price is an issue, use a mattress instead of an UQ, since you might need to sleep on the ground sometimes, and an UQ wouldn't be much good to you on the ground. Hope you two get out there and do it.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    You didn't mention if you plan on staying in any shelters from time to time. You might want to consider double layer hammock with an air mattress or pad. I've never tried using a UQ on the floor but I'm pretty sure it's not pleasant.

A 20 degree UQ can be used comfortably right up to the point of not needing one. Once summer hits you could swap your cold weather TQ for a summer TQ.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I have this dream of an unsupported thru hike with no mail drops so the idea of switching out quilts makes me cranky. Am I stupid too? (Be gentle.)
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I have this dream of an unsupported thru hike with no mail drops so the idea of switching out quilts makes me cranky. Am I stupid too? (Be gentle.)
    [gentle] Yes. [/gentle]

Sorry, I have no experience at all, but this was too good to pass up.

What I have _read_ is that most hikers switch to a different temp system to be both lightweight and comfortable. I guess you need to make concessions to either comfort or weight when you do not switch or augment your insulation.

I even type with a Dutch accent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    i have never heard of unsupported being associated with mail drops? what will you do when gear fails (it will fail), town doesn't have it and they want to send it to you up the trail?
    supported usually means a vehicle is following and YOU never go to town.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast