Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Life Span of hammock??

I was laying in my hammock last night and a had a horrible thought. The DIY hammock that I made 2 years ago and have something on the order of 150 nights on, days are numbered.

Seriously though. Does anyone know the expected life span of a hammock? I remember hearing or reading something about Ed Speer testing his to failure. I keep thinking he said something like 300 nights, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to test my hammock to failure, or end up having to go unexpectedly to the ground for a night or so should it break. Plus I took that fall to the ground a couple times and don't really want to do it again (although we all know it is only a matter of time).

I am asking this as it applies to my DIY hammock, but I think it is the same with the commerical ones. Due to the way a hammock is used and the way we use them I really think hammocks to have a life span shorter than the ground options.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I wish I had an answer. This is something I have given a lot of thought to, as well.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Maybe a tad tongue in cheek here... but... with the way most of the members here accumulate hammocks, is there really any way of knowing? The only place for failure I can see is A) the fabric itself, B) the stitches. Synthetic fabrics are not subject to the same rot or deterioration forces as cotton or other natural fabrics. Abrasion and UV damage would seem to be their biggest weaknesses. Abrasion is relative easy to prevent. The UV damage is more difficult and potentially more catastrophic because the weakness is in the fiber itself. Fading of color is a common early symptom of too much sunlight but not the only one. UV damage has a lot to do with the exposure to the sun and so would vary widely depending on where, when and how it is pitched. I had some nylon on the back porch which just sat there for several years. It looked fine until I picked it up and it shredded in my hands. So if you set it up in the yard and leave it in the sun then it will deteriorate faster than if you pack it and properly store it.

The thread the stiches are done with is the other main focus of decay. A good synthetic thread should be at least as robust as the fabric, but subject ot the same failure sources. It it has a natural fiber content then moisture and fungus will lead to its demise sooner.

I am not sure I understand why the use of a hammock would result in a shorter life span than ground options. The sunlight exposure issue is the same if not more so for a tent as hammocks are traditionally hung in trees, affording a certain level of UV protection. Plus being modular the tarp of a hammock would take more expoaure than the hammock itself, but it is easier and more reasonable to replace than a rain fly from a tent which is usually so model restricted as to be irreplaceable once the production of the model is completed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Good point on the UV light. I haven't thought of that. I very rarely hang in direct sunlight. In camp my tarp is usually up or half up (it always tends to rain). My tarp should be getting the bulk of that. But having said that, the tarp is still looking good.

I was refering to the weight loading properties of a hammock. The fabric needs to hold your weight each time. Where as a tent lays on the ground. A weak seam or hole in a tend isn't a big deal, but a show stopper in a hammock.

I see what you mean with buying new hammocks. I only own three. My DIY see's the most use, my eagles nest saw some use and an indoor hammock, and I haven't put that any real use on my blackbird yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I used a 1.1 oz ripstop, tied-end hammock for what turned out to be 7 solid months. My weight varied from 235 to 195. Would still be using it if I were not experimenting so much.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I was refering to the weight loading properties of a hammock. The fabric needs to hold your weight each time. Where as a tent lays on the ground. A weak seam or hole in a tend isn't a big deal, but a show stopper in a hammock.

Here is a hole in a DIY hammock. Now understand I would not want to rely solely on this hammock for any length of time and I have no idea how it got there. If you watch my vid on hammock camping with disabilities you can see me in this beasty. It holds my weight very securely. But I don't like the hammock partly cause I can't get out of it and partly because it doesn't have a bug net or anything else. This hole is right at major torso weight level. So the ultimate danger of a hole is the ripstop nylon stuff we use is probably minimal as far as catastrophic failure is concerned. This is thin stuff and while I wouldn't try to use it for dynamic load testing ala cannabal I would not hesitate to lounge in the backyard if I had some to help me get out.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 05-10-2009 at 13:20. Reason: added link
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    From Ed's site:
    1.9 RipStop Nylon Ripstop nylon, 1.9 oz/sq yd, 70 denier, 1st quality only (no 2nds); Perfect fabric stretch for superior sleeping comfort. Ideal for lightweight hammocks. This fabric has survived over 5,000 hours of hammock use! Rated to 250 lbs weight limit.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I left a single layer 1.9 oz. homemade hammock tied up in the front years for about six months this fall and winter. I was checking the durability of the Wally World ripstop nylon. This hammock was not covered by a tarp. I had to dup the rainwater out a time or two. The fabric held up with no visible effects. The straps that used had some effects from the sun but the fabric held up fine.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't remember just how long before the 08 Mt Rogers winter trip I made it, but on that rip I was using the same hammock I'm using now, so it's had at least close to 16 months in constant use.
    Of course most of the time it hung in the protection of my bed room.

Good point about the UV damage. I remember Ed Speer talking about very visible color change on the end of a pea pod on a hammock that was being left hung under his back porch. The color change/damage was at the end that got several hours of direct sun light each day.

I was on Mt Mitchel w/ Ed when his famous red hammock (pictured on the front of his book) failed, causing him to spend the night on the ground using his ccf pad, pea pod, & top quilt.
    Of course Ed will admit that he did something he shouldn't have, especially on an older hammock... especially on a cold winter night.
    He raised himself up on one elbow... RRRRIIIIPPPPP.... followed by Ed's 4 letter expression of what just happened.

Along w/ UV damage or just to thin a fabric for the user, a couple other failures I've experienced (or herd of) are
    1)... very small support cord cutting the fabric.
    2)damage to the hammock body, as in abrasion from scrubbing the ground w/ a person's weight, or sharp or small stuff in the hammock being pressed into the hammock by the user's body weight.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

This is making me think 1.1 fabric may not be the way to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast