DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    That sounds like a full weekend! You should make good time since you are travelling the major trails. I didn't consider 208 boring even though it's an old roadway -it goes through some beautiful and varied terrain. After you climb out of the Braziel Creek drainage, you're in for a nice walk through some beautiful upland hardwood forest. This is also some of the highest ground in the area, so if you need to make a call nows the time to check for signal. I would go up 204A (straight up Bee Branch and East Bee) to Big Tree. It's probably slow going since the storms, but you can climb out on the right behind Big Tree to link up with 204 and back to 209.
    Have fun

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    That sounds like a full weekend! You should make good time since you are travelling the major trails. I didn't consider 208 boring even though it's an old roadway -it goes through some beautiful and varied terrain. After you climb out of the Braziel Creek drainage, you're in for a nice walk through some beautiful upland hardwood forest. This is also some of the highest ground in the area, so if you need to make a call nows the time to check for signal. I would go up 204A (straight up Bee Branch and East Bee) to Big Tree. It's probably slow going since the storms, but you can climb out on the right behind Big Tree to link up with 204 and back to 209.
    Have fun
    Seeing the "big tree" is priority. Hopefully we can meet up with you guys again for a weekend in the spring. I had considered Cheaha for this trip but want to spend a bit time in the backyard before I move over to your neck of the woods. Lets get the boys back together and have another acorn fight. He still talks about that. Glad you guys are a part of that memory.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Seeing the "big tree" is priority. Hopefully we can meet up with you guys again for a weekend in the spring. I had considered Cheaha for this trip but want to spend a bit time in the backyard before I move over to your neck of the woods. Lets get the boys back together and have another acorn fight. He still talks about that. Glad you guys are a part of that memory.
    That's what it's all about!

Cheaha is easier IMHO, than SWA. Even with the longer climbs. If you explore you'll see the difference. In the Sipsey you can't always take shortcuts-you'll find yourself rimrocked or boxed in a canyon or on the wrong side of a creek etc.

If you need more info on your trip shoot me a PM.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I just got caught up on this thread.. Looks like you got a good route going! I just scoped out from Thompson>Big Tree and coming out 209 at the trailhead on Cranal last week. I wish that I knew the names better. I am still trying to get my dad to go with me to Sipsey and I think that this will be our route. I only had to wade the creek right before I went out at Cranal Road. (Thanks to James for giving me a ride back to my truck)

Squidbilly! I wish that I had known! I was there solo last weekend. (beautiful weather, huh?) I wish that I would have known, and I would have tried to find you guys!

Chriss: I am ready for another acorn fight!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

You can bank on a head in Sipsey

Oh those pictures bring back memories! I have never seen the water in the creek like that and I have camped in that area dozens of times. We used to go there all the time in high school and college. Great place, very pretty. Wish I could go with yall. Have fun.
    Cedar Tree

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    I just got caught up on this thread.. Looks like you got a good route going! I just scoped out from Thompson>Big Tree and coming out 209 at the trailhead on Cranal last week. I wish that I knew the names better. I am still trying to get my dad to go with me to Sipsey and I think that this will be our route. I only had to wade the creek right before I went out at Cranal Road. (Thanks to James for giving me a ride back to my truck)

Squidbilly! I wish that I had known! I was there solo last weekend. (beautiful weather, huh?) I wish that I would have known, and I would have tried to find you guys!

Chriss: I am ready for another acorn fight!
    We're pitiful ain't we! All either of us had to do was call. Did you take the shortcut to Big Tree? You must have parked at the Day use area( by the bridge). If so that was Borden Creek you crossed-at the confluence with Sipsey Fork.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    We're pitiful ain't we! All either of us had to do was call. Did you take the shortcut to Big Tree? You must have parked at the Day use area( by the bridge). If so that was Borden Creek you crossed-at the confluence with Sipsey Fork.
    I bushwhacked up east bee from the campsite by the river and took the trail back toward the day use area. I would not call it a shortcut exactly. I had a gps, so I was just wandering around to find something new. I was parked at Thompson, but a nice fellow that I met walking out took me back to the truck. It worked out nicely!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    It sounds like you took 204A- the unofficial trail from 209 up to big tree. The shortcut I was referring to is the route up Whiteoak Hollow, then over the ridge and down into West Bee. The normal route is shown below in blue: 206-209-204A The shortcut in red.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    If anyone is wanting to go end of Feb or first part of March we would be interested.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    It sounds like you took 204A- the unofficial trail from 209 up to big tree. The shortcut I was referring to is the route up Whiteoak Hollow, then over the ridge and down into West Bee. The normal route is shown below in blue: 206-209-204A The shortcut in red.
    I know what you are talking about now. I have never made that whole shortcut route. I have just walked up WOH until it starts going up the ridge, then went back to 204.

As you know, I have been trying hard to get my dad to Sipsey for the last few years. I am looking for a an overnighter possibly a 2 day trip to break my dad in right. I figured a good one was 204-209 from thompson, but I am having trouble finding a 2 day route that does not involve crossing the Sipsey. I may need your expertise! My dad is ok with bushwhacking a little, but I want to show him as much as possible.

Maybe I just need to take a weeks worth of food and just get lost up there. I never get to do as much off-trail as I need to do to really know the area by heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast