Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    I have some tests going on.
    I've done some simple pull-stretch tests, as a weight I use my own bodyweight combined with climbing gear.
    It looks like this:

"Venivus" means elasticity, as a source I've used extremtextil.de fabric store.
    It seems there's no point to use expensive climbing-rated tubular webbings.
    There's 25 mm X-tube (35 g/m), 16 mm Edelrid (about 30-40 g/m) 25 mm strong polyester (28 g/m), 25 mm polyester (18 g/m) and 19 mm polyester (14,6 g/m).
    Unluckily I've lost sixth competitor, 19 mm security-webbing type polyester webbing.
    Going to test another types also, I have various types of 25 mm polypropylene and polyester webbing to test.

For me elasticity is the biggest problem. The more it stretches, the more it rubs against the tree under great load, which means wearing.
    The other thing is it's weather resistance, thus I prefer polyester and if there's no alternatives, polypropylene webbing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I guess this is where i get confused...
    Welcome to the club. Look at any two commercially (including cottage) made tarps and you will find a variety of grosgrains and webbings used. I just pulled out two tarps I have. One has 3/4" grosgrain binding on the ridgeline, rolled hem perimeter edges and 1" grosgrain corner tie outs. The other has a flat felled seam ridgeline, 3/4" grosgrain perimeter edge binding and 3/4" (I'm guessing nylon) webbing corner tie outs.

There is no right or wrong as long as there is sufficient strength to do the job.

My preference would be something stronger than 1/2" grosgrain for tie outs and rolled hem edges because I find that easier than grosgrain binding. Others find the rolled hem more difficult and seem to find 1/2" grosgrain is sufficient for tie outs.

So....you make your best guesses knowing that most any of it will work.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Thanks again fof your help gmcttr. I am go with the reflective webbing for all tabs and tie outs. And gross grain probably 3/4 for rl and rolled hem for edges.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Metavo View Post
    I have some tests going on.
    I've done some simple pull-stretch tests, as a weight I use my own bodyweight combined with climbing gear.
    It looks like this:

"Venivus" means elasticity, as a source I've used extremtextil.de fabric store.
    It seems there's no point to use expensive climbing-rated tubular webbings.
    There's 25 mm X-tube (35 g/m), 16 mm Edelrid (about 30-40 g/m) 25 mm strong polyester (28 g/m), 25 mm polyester (18 g/m) and 19 mm polyester (14,6 g/m).
    Unluckily I've lost sixth competitor, 19 mm security-webbing type polyester webbing.
    Going to test another types also, I have various types of 25 mm polypropylene and polyester webbing to test.

For me elasticity is the biggest problem. The more it stretches, the more it rubs against the tree under great load, which means wearing.
    The other thing is it's weather resistance, thus I prefer polyester and if there's no alternatives, polypropylene webbing.
    Great info.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    All of those sling materials tested would be considered static in the world of climbing. There is no tangible benefit in reducing stretch from 4% to 2% in a sling of typical climbing lengths for the purposes that it would typically be used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12