Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Split Rock Lighthouse S.P., MN

Had an itch to get out of town so I cruised up to Split Rock Lighthouse S.P. on the North Shore of Lake Superior to one of the backpack sites. Had a good time. The weather was dreary and chilly Saturday but it didn't rain too much...just overcast with times of sprinkles to light rain. Great view of the lake! The sound of the waves crashing into shore below me was great bedtime music. I had the best sleep I have had so far in my BB. It was awesome. My first couple times out didn't really go all that well...I just generally didn't sleep well and kept waking up and tossing and turning but I think I have found the sweet spot for me now. I ended up lugging my HEAVY +10F bag (took up half my pack) this time as the low was forecast to be 32F and from past experience I knew my +30 bag wasn't going to cut it. I was toasty warm and comfortable. I turned in at about 8:30pm and only woke up one time to water the tree and slept soundly until sun up. After waking up in the morning I noticed that the end of my bag at my feet was soaking wet. Lifted the bag and there was standing water in the BB at the foot end but it was bone dry where the Yeti was positioned all the way to the head end. I was using a blue Walmart pad from the end of the Yeti down to the footbox and then the DriDucks poncho under the hammock. The DriDucks had a little moisture on the inside of it as well but not much at all. The Yeti stayed completely dry. My question is do all pads cause condensation like this? The last time I was out the foot end was damp as well but not this bad...this was drenched! Glad it didn't run down and soak into my Yeti. Next time I may ditch the pad altogether and just throw my pack in at the foot end and see what happens. Heading out again in two weeks for a couple days at Shug's stompin' grounds...Crosby Manitou S.P. Can't wait!
    Note: for the third pic I reset the hammock up at the tent pad site just for some extra practice this morning before packing up and leaving. I didn't set it up there yesterday as the wind would have blown rain into the ends of the hammock. The wind was coming in off the lake which is why I had the tarp pitched so low.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    One of my favorite places in all of Minnesota no matter what time of the year. Was there any noticeable damage from the last ice storm ?
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    One of my favorite places in all of Minnesota no matter what time of the year. Was there any noticeable damage from the last ice storm ?
    I did the split rock loop a week ago, and that was the first piece of trail cleaned up.

Damage was heavy in the area. I helped clear Tettegouche on Sunday until Han's chainsaw bar broke. I suspect he's got that piece finished now.

Pretty devastating.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Was there any noticeable damage from the last ice storm ?
    Yes, there were a good number of downed trees and branches in the woods but the trail was clear except for a couple of trees that I had to go over or around that were laying across the trail.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Nice - I love that area. Split Rock is one of the most beautiful places on the North Shore, and now is the time to go (because it so busy in summer,and fall when the leaves change.) I'll bet you didn't go swimming, though.

I wish I still lived up there; but man, the summers are short and the cold, dreary times are long. But it is so beautiful up there. I miss the big lake, and the Piney Woods.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I did the split rock loop a week ago, and that was the first piece of trail cleaned up.

Damage was heavy in the area. I helped clear Tettegouche on Sunday until Han's chainsaw bar broke. I suspect he's got that piece finished now.

Pretty devastating.

--Kurt
    One of the downfalls of my chose profession is I work on weekends and that's when most of the trail clearing days are scheduled. Every year I tell my self... "self lets take some time off and help the SHTA on one of the trail maintenance trips". But then life takes over and it slips your mind. NEXT YEAR !

Thanks to you kwpapke and the other volunteers in the SHTA for making one of the most beautiful trails in the US stay that way.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

photo of Split Rock Lighthouse

Couple photos I took of the lighthouse & the NorthShore back in the '80's, the ground dwelling era. Just couple views of this beautiful area & reasons to visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by koaloha05; 05-15-2009 at 00:08.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Great trip report. I'm planning on being up there in a couple of weeks, but I wish I could just go right now.

For the moisture in the lower part of the hammock, are you sure you didn't just dream that you got up to water the tree?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One of the downfalls of my chose profession is I work on weekends and that's when most of the trail clearing days are scheduled. Every year I tell my self... "self lets take some time off and help the SHTA on one of the trail maintenance trips". But then life takes over and it slips your mind. NEXT YEAR !

Thanks to you kwpapke and the other volunteers in the SHTA for making one of the most beautiful trails in the US stay that way.
    I am in the same boat .... always have gigs on the weekends that the Trail Maintenance is scheduled.
    I am going to call up and do some weekday trail angel work sometime, see what they need done.
    Having hikes miles and miles on the SHT I need to physically give back. I do send financial gifts every year but i feel the need to get dirty and ticky! also it is a reason to sleep out in the woods.......
    Shug of Guilt
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts