Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I just uploaded the pics. Check here. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p?albumid=3234. The first one shows my upper vertical busted gear. The first few pics are from the side and show the reverse rod n spring pushing in and out towards the bracket. I am still not sure if the bracket is suppose to move but thats my guess as to whats the cause.
    Last edited by miyanc; 01-02-2014 at 18:46.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Ok let me start over with a question, how or what makes it go in reverse? Is it a switch in that it reverses the motor? Or is it belt or a cam? Should I be spraying into the button/knob? That part moves freely it just doesnt do anything. From the inside what should I be looking for in terms of the reverse? I also notice that the freedom of the reverse button (the distance in or out) is limited depending on the stitch lenth choices. On 6 it goes all the way in and out, the closer to 15 I go the less it goes in and stops being mobile on anything else. On the inside I can see the knobs plastic cam that is limiting this movement. Is that a product of the type of stitch? Maybe reverse is not needed making a button.
    What do i know at this point?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Ok let me start over with a question, how or what makes it go in reverse?....
    It is done mechanically. The only thing that changes direction is the feed dogs...everything else stays the same. Some small movement changes the relationship between linkages that drive the feed dogs. Start at the feed dogs and work your way back to the reverse button.

I still suspect it is a gummed up linkage problem (unless it is a broken plastic part).

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It is done mechanically. The only thing that changes direction is the feed dogs...everything else stays the same. Some small movement changes the relationship between linkages that drive the feed dogs. Start at the feed dogs and work your way back to the reverse button.

I still suspect it is a gummed up linkage problem (unless it is a broken plastic part).
    The button is basically a rod with a spring thru the width dial. I dont think the mechanical action is in the dial. All the dial actions seem to work. The rod comes out past the dial and when pushed in touches a bracket that is at the back end of the cams on the main drive rod. It also attaches to a u shaped metal that is attached to the main support and cant be fiddled with unless I take off the hand wheel, which is attached to the drive belt whicn is atttached to the motor which is attached the frame. I am going to see if I can alter the pictures and upload more pointing to the details.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Email sent, let me know if it was any help.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Replied yes that is correct. Now what? I cant see into that part to see what is hanging up. I can see the place this bracket connects to but its behind the big hand fly which as I said it atached to everything. In one of my pictures you can see space in between the metal housing and the item marked C on your diagram.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    There should be motor mount bolts that are reasonably easy to get at. You'll need to loosen them to take the tension off of the drive belt and remove the drive belt from the motor pulley.

Remove the screw in the stop motion knob (small knob in the center of the handwheel) and unscrew and remove the stop motion knob. Behind it is the clutch washer. Note it's position and remove the clutch washer and the handwheel should slide off the shaft.

Reverse the above steps to reassemble. When you put it back together, if the stop motion knob or it's retaining screw don't fit/work correctly, rotate the clutch washer 180*. You should be able to tighten the stop motion knob so the hand wheel turns with the motor and still be able to unscrew the knob about 1/3 of a turn so the hand wheel does not spin while you are winding a bobbin.

Tension the drive belt with just enough tension so it doesn't slip. Overtightening it is not good. The belt always looks looser than I think it should when it is correctly tensioned.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    30% of my machine is in pieces and I am closer to fixing. I can finally see whats not working, just not why yet. So in advance, and even if I dont fix it, thanks to all especially gmcttr..
    Last edited by miyanc; 01-03-2014 at 18:15.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am not a fan of WD40 (kerosene in a can) for lubricating a machine.
    Agreed. To my knowledge, WD-40 is not and never has been a lubricant.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Agreed. To my knowledge, WD-40 is not and never has been a lubricant.

Rain Man

It is both a lubricant and a displacement. When firstapplied it uses hydrcarbons to displace and then they evaporate leaving an oil. The problems its not great as either and often you dont want your oil to displace or displacement to have oil. It has its uses but knowledgeable people know to use products more specific and less multipurpose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast