Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone interested in purchasing down? Mini group-buy possible...

First, thanks for the treasure trove of knowledge in this forum. I've been lurking for awhile and the information here has helped me make my hammock and tarp. Now that I'm making the TQ and UQ, I'm in the process of purchasing down.

I'll be buying Canadian Hutterite Duck Down (800 fp, 90% net down) from a bulk supplier that I found. Since you guys have been so helpful, I figured I could try to give back to the community by ordering extra down and supplying it at the bulk price for anyone who is interested. I'll probably only be able to purchase no more than 4-5 pounds before import taxes negate the bulk savings.

If anyone is interested, reply here so I can get a headcount! Mods, I posted this here since I'm not actually selling anything yet, just gauging interest...but if this should belong somewhere else, please let me know and I'll post there instead.

Edit: If there's no interest in the duck down (which I'm told is just as good as the goose down and cheaper) there's also the option of getting Canadian Hutterite Goose Down (850fp, 90% down) if that's what everyone prefers but the cost/oz will go up
    Last edited by theledman; 01-02-2014 at 16:37.

Images
    I'll be perfectly honest in that I've never even thought about buying down in bulk. Are you able to give a cost per oz. figure? I might be interested in the group buy if I can understand where the cost will be. Working on a pillow design right now that would benefit from at least one down version per chance.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let us know about price and I may be interested!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    i am interested as well if the price is right

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Thought about doing this at one point, then remembered how much 'fun' it was to package and weigh down..

Feather Industries is my go-to for down, since I'm in Canada, no duties! I've used duck and goose down. Aside from what I've read of the differences, I couldn't tell any difference when actually putting them to the test.

Best of luck, I think you should get some interested parties willing to pitch in for a bulk order.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will indeed be sourcing from Feather Industries in Canada. From my research (I've been looking for down for awhile now), it seems like this is the most cost effective way to secure high quality down and they seem quite reputable.

As for the cost per ounce...I can give a ballpark estimate but it really depends on shipping, which I'll be paying for myself by supplying them with a prepaid label (their own shipping estimate was crazy expensive). At this point, I can't get a shipping estimate until I know the dimensions of their box, which they can't tell me until they know how much I want to buy. My current calculations peg it at $6 per ounce for the 800 fp duck and $7.75 per ounce for the 850fp goose down. Shipping to each of you isn't factored in either, but it shouldn't be too much, especially since I get shipping discounts from work (I'm talking $2-3 for overnight fedex). My time and packaging will cost nothing, you guys have been great. Figured it's my way to contribute.
    Last edited by theledman; 01-02-2014 at 20:39.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theledman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will indeed be sourcing from Feather Industries in Canada. From my research (I've been looking for down for awhile now), it seems like this is the most cost effective way to secure high quality down and they seem quite reputable.

As for the cost per ounce...I can give a ballpark estimate but it really depends on shipping, which I'll be paying for myself by supplying them with a prepaid label (their own shipping estimate was crazy expensive). At this point, I can't get a shipping estimate until I know the dimensions of their box, which they can't tell me until they know how much I want to buy. My current calculations peg it at $6 per ounce for the 800 fp duck and $7.75 per ounce for the 850fp goose down. Shipping to each of you isn't factored in either, but it shouldn't be too much, especially since I get shipping discounts from work (I'm talking $2-3 for overnight fedex). My time and packaging will cost nothing, you guys have been great. Figured it's my way to contribute.
    At that price it would be cheaper to buy from Wilderness logics and you would get it in one ounce or half ounce bags for $7 per ounce. I don't mean to shoot down the idea, just want y'all to get the best price is all.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    At that price it would be cheaper to buy from Wilderness logics and you would get it in one ounce or half ounce bags for $7 per ounce. I don't mean to shoot down the idea, just want y'all to get the best price is all.
    Wilderness Logics raised their price to $8.75 per ounce or $8.25 in bulk.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Wilderness Logics raised their price to $8.75 per ounce or $8.25 in bulk.
    Good to know, thanks

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel

Maybe here?

Could try here at $5.75/oz for 800fp water resistant down. 1lb minimum. Free shipping.

www.downlinens.com/products/premium-washed-down

Ryan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast