Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Slap straps are very heavy in comparison - 12oz vs ~3-4oz for tree huggers and whoopies. You can save weight by going with the Pro or Micro slap straps, but you still don't get close to the weight of a whoopie setup and you have to deal with a whole lot more stretching from what I hear.

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    personally-i love my Doublenest with slapstraps.i have never had a problem with stretch in mine but if i did that may turn me off but...i haven't.i have no scales to weigh anything other than myself but i can't see how-whoopies,biners and 6ft treestraps could possibly be lighter than the pro slapstraps-anyone ever do the actual weight comparison
    that's what i was thinking, is even if i use whoopies... i'll still have to use tree huggers, and since i have then that would most likely be slapstraps... i really want to try the whoopies out, but i can't justify it yet. does anyone know a thread just talking about different whoopie setups? it would be nice to replace the stupid black rope and biners with whoopies though.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    personally-i love my Doublenest with slapstraps.i have never had a problem with stretch in mine but if i did that may turn me off but...i haven't.i have no scales to weigh anything other than myself but i can't see how-whoopies,biners and 6ft treestraps could possibly be lighter than the pro slapstraps-anyone ever do the actual weight comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray022085 View Post
    that's what i was thinking, is even if i use whoopies... i'll still have to use tree huggers, and since i have then that would most likely be slapstraps... i really want to try the whoopies out, but i can't justify it yet. does anyone know a thread just talking about different whoopie setups? it would be nice to replace the stupid black rope and biners with whoopies though.
    With whoopies you can eliminate much of the length of your tree straps. Some get away with 3-4'. I personally like 6'. All you need is enough to get around the tree and either have 1 or both loops available to hook too. Or if you use the MSH, then you just need about 1-2' of tail to tie the knot.

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    With whoopies you can eliminate much of the length of your tree straps. Some get away with 3-4'. I personally like 6'. All you need is enough to get around the tree and either have 1 or both loops available to hook too. Or if you use the MSH, then you just need about 1-2' of tail to tie the knot.

now that i get to see the (sort of) set up, i think i'm going to go for it, i'll run out to joanns and get some webbing, then i'll pick up whoopies from you. what size do you recommend? the slapstrap pros seem to have more than enough length.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

now that i get to see the (sort of) set up, i think i'm going to go for it, i'll run out to joanns and get some webbing, then i'll pick up whoopies from you. what size do you recommend? the slapstrap pros seem to have more than enough length.
    6' is by far the most popular. That affords you approx. 11' of total adjustment (5.5' on either end) But it never hurts to have the extra length.

Most hammocks run right around 9.5-10' strung up. Add 11' to that and you are up to a span of 21'. If you have any length in your straps, you can increase that span.... Going with a longer sling does not effect the minimum length, which is around 18" with my slings.

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    how would i go about sewing loops for the webbing (to hook a biner into, then onto the whoopie sling)? and can anyone send/post a link with an example of what would make good webbing for tree huggers

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    how would i go about sewing loops for the webbing (to hook a biner into, then onto the whoopie sling)? and can anyone send/post a link with an example of what would make good webbing for tree huggers
    I have done this with my sewing machine with good luck. If you have the webbing... make a measurement 8" from the end. Fold it over and apply several bar tacks up to the 4" point. That will leave you a 2" loop on the end.

If you arent comfortable doing that, then Strapworks.com can hook you up. 1" polyester webbing.... Or AHE also sells webbing by the foot and will sew the loops in the end. Ive thought about stocking the straps.. and I may in the future.... But right now theres no time....

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234