Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders

Gsx-rboy750 from Milwaukee Wi vroom vroom!! hammock hammock also have some questions?

Hi,

I am from Wi as the title says. I am 30, a welder fabricator, outdoors man, tinkerer, auto upholster, boiler operator etc. I actually purchased my first hammock when Hennessey was just starting. I am looking at sellin it. Believe it was their first model.
    Anyways I stumbled on the site preparing for this summer and in particular a trip to Isle Royale. Currently I have the old Hennessey and a ENO double (which I thought was so tight till I got here) planning on buying a bearcawwd tarp and on to my question.
    One last thing I already purchased a emberlit Ti yesterday after reviewing. I want to bring something lighter and more natural then my MSR burn everfuel stove. Having welded Ti and worked with many metals I am impressed with the site member uses of Ti. I am going to be making a couple TI Ulus. I post some pics once they are finished.

Now my questions
    1.What is the best weight for a ultra light hammock? I am coming up with 1.7 in the nano 7 but not finding it. I plan on making one but have only found 1.1,1.3 ,1.9 all of which claim to be American made.
    Does any one what to give a pattern. I have seen acouple and am thinking 9/4.5 feet. WHo is a good American made material vendor?

2. What is a good thread of thin mil?

3. Going to be purchasing the nylon, no see um for the mock and a bug net but thinking about getting some cuben to try a for some gaiters. Does anyone see why this would not work??
    ok did some more research and found this http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/hammock-guide/ Are there anymore?
    Last edited by Gsx-rboy750; 01-02-2014 at 22:48.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    First of all, welcome to the forums from guam, secondly, neither of the hammocks you have are bad at all, you have just discovered that each are unique in their own way. Since it sounds like you are really good at working with your hands, i think you will find that hammock camping can be fun to tinker around with. If you are good with welding titanium, you would be able to make some really cool ultralight stoves and other gear for yourself.

As far as answering questions go, i believe all fabric that you can buy will be manufactured in a foreign country, but I could be wrong. As far as good ole american companies to buy stuff from, i think diygersupply.com has the best selection. There are others, but they also have diy patterns and guides on their website. They are also fairly active on the forum here and are well established as trustworthy and loyal people. a good selection to go with.

For hammock size and material weight, it is a personal preference. warbonnet outdoors has a guide for comfort level on diferent material weights for ones given weight. for size of your hammock you really want to consider your height. I am 6'2" so i need a longer hammock to remain as comfortable as a shorter companion. Ed Speer recommends 1'6" longer than the user at minimum if i remember correctly, and holds pretty true. I have a DIY that i made to those specs a couple of years ago, and it is my lower limit for length comfort.

Width will also affect your comfort level but is not as big of a deal as the length. Some can get away with a more narrow hammock, i cannot. once again i have found that a hammock a little over 60" wide is most comfortablefor me.

Because this is such a long welcome message for you, i am providing you with a few links to get started.

www.warbonnetoutdoors.com
    www.tothewoods.net
    www.diygearsupply.com

Also check out "Shug" on youtube

By the way, if you are comfortable with one hammock, it's generally good to stick to it till you get everything else in the system figured out and dialed in. ENO's are a popular hammock for a reason.

Once again welcome to the forums, and i hope this has been of some help to you.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Funny (i work second at a boiler house my top responsibility from supervisor is to awnser the phone, i switched from 1st for school and the relaxed pace) i was board weigting backpacking gear and measuring my hammock I started drawing up some gaiter i want to make and realized i have got some flat sheet , 2.5 round and 3.5 round Ti at the house so I decided I am going to try a cup and maybe a water-bottle both will require a little welding of the bottom. Also going to try some simple streak out of the tube 2.5 Ti.

Ya only reason to sell the hennessey is because i prefere the open hammock + bug net. The Eno is nice but after seeing the cottage companies I think i know my direction.
    Fyi if anyone needs anything welded LMK. Just did some exhaust temp and O2 bungs welded in for a guy how could not find anyone in his area to weld thin Ti.
    I go by JP.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    if you weren't a million miles away, i'd have a welding job for you. I need racks for my '02 Triumph Tiger

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    if you weren't a million miles away, i'd have a welding job for you. I need racks for my '02 Triumph Tiger
    My ex boss's wife died in the 90's I think because of that he owns like 18 motorcycles, 2 sidecars and a ton of ****. 2 years ago he endod into a car that cut him off and wrecked the front end of guess a 2003 trumph tiger with hard bags, heated grips, seat, cage, pipe, chip. Well after dickign around trying to get me to finish it he sold it to me with clean title, hid headlamps he bought for a streetfighterish replacement front end and the thing is mint/straight beside needing a guage cluster and headlight assembly for 1000$
    It will most likely be my hammock adventure mode of transportation.

Worked with some of the Ti last night and after argueing with .020 wall on a band saw I am starting simple with a coffee cup with a handle and on simple bottom weld.
    Me in the UP

my rig

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Hello from Florida, w/a 03' GSX-R 1000
    Hey I recently found this, hope it might help.

- Kyle

www.ripstopbytheroll.com[/QUOTE]

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    The guys name is Kyle, not me, I'm Chris or Skrewloose

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by skrewloose View Post
    Hello from Florida, w/a 03' GSX-R 1000
    Hey I recently found this, hope it might help.

- Kyle

www.ripstopbytheroll.com
    [/QUOTE]

Nice thanks. I am at work so I am doing all the research I can working a double. do you think 1.1 is enough weight for 200-220lbs for a hammock and also a good weight for a tarp?

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    I'm 250 and if I going to make a hammock it will be 1.1

My other hammocks are 1.9 double and I think its overkill.
    Being a medic, I've borrowed a few hospital flat sheets and made hammocks from that cotton material. I only had one rip on me after it was washed for the 3rd time.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by skrewloose View Post
    I'm 250 and if I going to make a hammock it will be 1.1

My other hammocks are 1.9 double and I think its overkill.
    Being a medic, I've borrowed a few hospital flat sheets and made hammocks from that cotton material. I only had one rip on me after it was washed for the 3rd time.
    I assume you are going to purchase the material from this guy? Ya it looks good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast