Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex tarp
    Insulation
    ccf pad & thermare

sew i got this machine

OK it all started about a year ago. I was looking to lighten up my pack. Which lead me here to research hammocks. From there it has just snow balled. Since then I have bought a HH Safari with hex, and taken to learning to make my own gear. I have copied every stove i have seen, sewn a but pack and harness, and added many strap and buckles to my gear. ( All by hand sewing ) All the time cussing about how much easier it would be with a machine. well yesterday was mothers day. While all the attention was on my wife a friend of ours brought her some flowers, and me a 1960s singer fashion mate model 237. This is my first machine. and it belonged to my friends mom. She bought it new. She passed a few years ago. Now i have been told this is the last of the all metal machines and will sew leather canvas like 12 layers of denim yet do a very delicate stitch like satin. Just wondering what I have is it worth something what ever you can tell me. looking forward to making more gear. Think ill start with skins.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    As other will tell you in the forum... As long as the machine can do a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch, these are all you will need. It doesn't matter how old or new the machine is... As long as it can sew.

As for if the machine has a antique value to it.. I don't know.

Enjoy!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have a 1880s singer, it still sews. Yes, that is right EIGHTEEN EIGHTYS! With a: one eight eight zero (1885 actually).

We save it for just what you talk about, the really really thick stuff. It will go thru 5 layers of denim easily. But, needless to say they don't make parts for it anymore, so we use it a little as possible, as I am the only one that can run it, that isn't a real problem. Oh, yea, it's a treddel or foot powered machine, no electric motor.

So very likely you have a real find there, Singer makes a darn fine machine.

BUT: if you havn't started DIY yet, back away from the sewing machine now! Cause once you start down that slippery path it is too late to go back to a normal life.

OH! I see that warning is too late. Oh well, welcome to the club.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Take it to a repair shop if you want to know the value. They have 'blue books' for sewing machines and can give you the market value. Might be a fun exercise, but it sounds like that is a sewing machine you will want to keep, not sell. Have fun and be careful with your fingers. I have nightmares of the needle splitting a fingernail.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't count on anything of significance for book value _except_ possibly to a collector. It's like computers to some degree. The market migrates to fancier and flashier. No biggie for the gear maker. In fact we get the better deals cause there just is not a great market for them. Take it to a dealer and have them tune it up and service it and rejoice in your find.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex tarp
    Insulation
    ccf pad & thermare
    I just noticed that it needs a tensioner bracket any one know where to buy one? I dont really care how mush its worth because ill be keeping it. Thanks rev when i first hit the forum you where the first to greet me. thanks

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    not sure what that part is on those machines. Take it to a dealer. It is well worth their experience and knowledge for those kinds of repairs. On the open market you ain't gonna find one most likely. But a dealer may be able to work something out. Lots of them have parts. If you can post a pic of what ain't there... if that makes sense... maybe we could be more help.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    I'm with Ramblinrev - try either going to a Sew&Vac that carries/knows Singer machines, or try finding a Singer online forum (they must exist?) and ask away there. While HF as a community is great as a resource, a sewing-only forum might be the place to look for specific parts.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

• + New Posts