Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Question Pad and uq

Is it overkill to use a pad with an underquilt?, does one cancel out the other?
    I have a dl with an opening for a pad and i am about to go on my first winter hang, i have a nice pad with reflectex on one side but i also have an awesome underquilt ratd for minus 12 degrees, i dont want to take any chances and wake up cold..
    Do i use both? And yes, i also have a nice tq as well with a diy fleece lining with footbox and plenty of sleeping bags as backup, my concern is my backside

Any opinions ??

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    On a recent hike in SW VA (Dec 28-30) I recently used an old 20 degree Speer PeaPod, HG 20 degree UQ and threw in my cut down, 6 Section Z-rest sit pad for grins. It got down to about 19 degrees and I wound up being too hot and had to vent the PeaPod. My rear end never even thought about being cold, so I think the pad is a good "hedge" bet, especially if it can pull double duty as a sit pad. I used to go down to the low 40's with reflextix only back in the days before commercially available UQ's. Short Pads work just fine!
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I always bring a pad (cut down thin windshield reflector). I sit on it at camp, stand on it at the hammock and tuck it under my rear if needed. for some reason my lower back will always be cold no matter what I use. I think this is one of those items, thats better to bring and not use than want and not have.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pad, to me, equals condensation. When I was a pad user, I had no alternative (no UQ). Now that I have one (or two) UQ, I haven't used a pad since. I've experimented with a small pad in the footbox but didn't notice any difference.

The whole point of an underquilt, for me, was to abandon the pad. I haven't had cold butt syndrome down to 3 degrees F, so I don't see the need for sticking a pad under my butt.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Zilla, I'll be sleeping outside tonight not far from you.
    Temps are already down to 8 degrees with a 5-10 mph breeze.

Underquilt only. Happen to be stacking a pair of AHE KAQ's, New River and Jarbidge.

I expect it to be just about 0 when I turn in tonight.

Those first few seconds in the hammock are COLD, but then, and this is the point, within seconds I will feel the warmth of the synthetic insulation. The body heat transferring to the insulation, warming up the dead air space, that's what it's all about. The same goes for my down topquilt, seconds after pulling it over me, instant warmth.

Now, toss a pad into the equation, the heat has to travel through the pad to the underquilt and heat up the dead air space. Sure the pad will warm up and offer insulating properties but the underquilt will be underperforming.

I sleep outside everyday, and my 2 cents is, underquilt only. If you want to use a small pad under your feet, go for it. But if your underquilt is rated for the predicted temps, don't bother with a full length pad. As always, hyoh and best of luck.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I recommend UQ only. Especially if it is rated at -12º.
    If it eases your mind to carry the pad then do so and have it on stand-by. Trust the UQ. Hope you have worked on getting it dailed in.
    Carry forth and have fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    While we may not notice it. I believe do do sweat and thus pump moisture into the underquilt thus degrading the down. Not a problem for a weekend but could cause problems on a two week deep winter trip.
    That is why I alway use a fuzzy VB jacked from Stephenson Warm Lite so I know before I sweat.
    Thoughts?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    i have since tried it both ways and Rat dog is spot on, trust the down, it took ALOT longer to get warm with the pad in getween me and my uq, and silvrsurfer was also correct, it got alittle damp with the pad.
    I will do like Shug said and have it on stand by just in case, maybe just slide it under my feet.
    Thanks for all the great input.....

• + New Posts