Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hennessy Underpad adjustment Q

Hey.
    Just wondering for those who have more experience with the HH underpad - when you get in to the hammock, it is difficult to readjust the underpad which must be sort of pushed aside in order to enter the hammock. with even half of your weight already in the hammock, how the heck do you effectively pull that underpad back over to cover the perfect spot -especially in the dark?

any ideas would be great.

thanks

Hammock
    Clark NA & Hennessy UL Backpacker
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    The underpad is suspended by bungees under light tension so it won't compress and just snaps back in place after you get in. I think the only time you might have to fight with it is if it was adjusted too tight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I do not do any real cold weather hanging with my hammock. With that said, I do not use a full length pad on my hammock so I do not have that problem. I have a pad that is the length of my torso up. So it does not go over the slit in the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I do not do any real cold weather hanging with my hammock. With that said, I do not use a full length pad on my hammock so I do not have that problem. I have a pad that is the length of my torso up. So it does not go over the slit in the hammock.
    Sorry about the last post I thought you were referring to pads inside the hammock. Please disregard. Sorry.

Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    You know, I've got some pictures I took when I first got my SS for my UL Explorer. Tonight I'll try to upload them when I'm around some high speed internet. I think it might be a pretty good photo tour of that system.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner,Homemade,Hennessey BP
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, MacCat
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    Images

Hennessey Underpad Adjustment

First let me say that I don't consider myself really experienced, having slept with the underpad only 10 or 12 times. I don't recall having a real problem readjusting the pad, but do remember having to reach through the slit and pulling it back after entering. However, after a couple of nights with the pad I decided that I was not happy with the way the pad attached to the side pull-outs. The long bungee was attached near the knee and the short bungee was attached near the left shoulder. I felt that the pad wasn't extending far enough to cover my right shoulder adequately the way I laid, so I exchanged the bungee cords which allowed the pad to move further to the right shoulder (I did shorten the cord just a little by tying a knot near the tie-out). An added benefit of exchanging the cords is that moving the short bungee to the knee position has considerably reduced the problem with pushing the pad aside since not as much of the pad extends into the slit and seems to snap right back into place after entering. YMMV depending on how you lay in the hammock. But it is a simple adjustment and will only take a few minutes to test. Good luck.
    Joe's rules of contentment: 1. Mind your own business, 2. Don't mind others' business, 3. Remember rules 1 and 2.

Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    Ok, I uploaded those pics from my 1st time putting up the Super Shelter. Here's the link to the 1st of 7 pics.

Hopefully that link works. I've never done this before. If not, it's in the 'hammock accessories'/'pads' gallery & at this point they're the only pics in it.

Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    Oh man, that's not a link! I didn't know you could put a pic in the text! Anyway, the rest of them are in Hammock Accessories / Pads in the gallery...

Thanks guys. I will try making it tighter on the side so that it pops back into place better. Otherwise, I guess I'll just be gentle.

adjusting underpad

Just pushing it aside to enter/exit works fine; I do tend to fiddle with it a little after I'm in to make sure I've got coverage. The velcro of the HH opening can stick to the underpad.

Where it really gets fiddly is if you also add a space blanket into the mix. Something else to get in and out around and adjust once you're in, plus noisy. Still, a lightweight way to help stay warm if you're really up against it. About the only time I use the space blanket these days is if I slept cold without it the night before ...

Brian Lewis
    Last edited by brianle; 08-12-2007 at 16:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast