Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Ok, THAT I follow.

Brandon also says (on his website) that his Traveler is comfortable for someone up to 6'-8. I'm with him on hanging with the head at the lower end though, I've done this for a long time. If I hang the hammock level, my center of gravity wants to slide down to the low point of the hammock, and now my feet are out FOR SURE.

Anyways the WB is a lot longer than the DD Travel Hammock, which I've used successfully even upside-down (bugnet underneath) without falling out of it... makes me think overall length isn't the only answer?

Maybe I should try the WB Traveler with the structural ridge removed, and hung the way I would normally hang one of my other hammocks?
    I'm pretty sure Brandon says the same about the blackbird too, comfort to 6'8". But he also says there's a noticeable comfort difference for some one over 5'10" going to the XLC, which is 11'.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    I'm pretty sure Brandon says the same about the blackbird too, comfort to 6'8". But he also says there's a noticeable comfort difference for some one over 5'10" going to the XLC, which is 11'.
    I hear you. Weirdly, I AM comfortable in the Traveler, just wish I felt a little more secure, especially at the foot end.

I tried my TTTM Double for winter camping once. It was a real PITA, it's too long for my hammock sock and DD UB. Can never be simple I guess.

What I like about the WB Traveler about all is the structural ridge... it does a great job supporting both the hammock sock and the side shock cords for the UB. The double-layer is a bonus too, as I like to supplement with a CCF pad in stupid-cold...

I have the same issue in a lite owl 11' hammock, especially when using a pad under my feet (tried several types). Pulling the knotty cord doesn't help much. What works best is to raise the foot end significantly, which positions the body closer to the head end, and gets the feet closer to the wider middle section of the hammock.

Basically, move you body closer to the head end.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    A google search found the following https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&postcount=12

Trosen said "Just back from a 3 day trip with the traveller. I found that less slack in the ridge line keeps the sides more vertical, and contains me and my sleeping gear better. The traveller fabric is so slippery that setting the ridge line closer to horizontal reduces sliding towards the ends.

Ted"

I don't really follow what he meant by "setting the ridge line closer to horizontal" but "less slack in the ridge line" I think I can follow... A shorter ridge, right?
    To me, that means (as a gross oversimplification), changing the ridge line from, say 100" to 80".
    Would that be correct?
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I have always used a longer RL than the standard 83% rule (don't know who came up with that anyway). I find that I get a flatter lay w/less diagonal. Make yours long and see if that helps. I'm 6' and use a 10 foot gathered end hammock with a 106" RL.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have had the same issue with my Traveler - and I'm only 5'4". I liked the lay a lot, and I found it changed to the worse when I played with the ridgeline length. I ended up selling the Traveler. BUT: I'm thinking of getting another Traveler and putting on a footbox as seen in this thread. Brandon says that it doesn't change the lay, but it sure helps with keeping feet and quilts/sleeping bags in the hammock.

With regards to a longer hammock: Before 11' hammocks became all the rage, the 10' Warbonnet hammocks seemed to be perfectly OK for larger people. I tried several 11' hammocks, and they are nice. But my 10' Blackbird still is the most comfy hammock with the flattest lay. I'd try the footbox mod first, before getting another hammock. Unless you *want* to get another hammock, of course

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad49426 View Post
    To me, that means (as a gross oversimplification), changing the ridge line from, say 100" to 80".
    Would that be correct?
    I'd agree that is what is meant by "less slack in the ridgeline", what had me a little baffled was the bit about "setting the ridgeline closer to horizontal". I think of this in terms of head end vs. foot end (none of my other hammocks have a ridgeline, so...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 SL & BMUL Bridge
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have the traveler and the BB XLC. I find the extra length of the XLC more comfortable but that doesn't stop me from using the Traveler based on weight reductions. I agree the head end lower is the way to go.

Images
    We do now recommend the BB for folks up to 6'0", and the XLC for folks up to 7'0"

we could do a custom 11' traveler for anybody who's interested. also, you might try hanging the head end very low and sleeping as close to the head end as possible, this will give max leg room.

You can only lay diagonal so much, at some point on any no-net end-gathered hammock there would be a point where your feet will go past the edge, but the above tips should help.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    We do now recommend the BB for folks up to 6'0", and the XLC for folks up to 7'0"

we could do a custom 11' traveler for anybody who's interested. also, you might try hanging the head end very low and sleeping as close to the head end as possible, this will give max leg room.

You can only lay diagonal so much, at some point on any no-net end-gathered hammock there would be a point where your feet will go past the edge, but the above tips should help.
    One of the best things about this industry/hobby is that when you have a question on a product, sometimes the boss himself will chime in to help

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12