Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7dbl
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

First hammock setup

So I've decided I want a hammock for some overnight hiking/fishing trips. Other than what I've learned on here over the past few days, I am completely bling in the ways of the hammock. After looking around a bit, it seems like the best bang for my buck is going to be a GT Skeeter Beeter Pro and swap out the suspension for some ENO Atlas straps or similar. My main concern is, I'm 6'3 220lbs, is it going to be big enough for me to sleep comfortably through a whole night? Other than that, does anyone have any better recommendations for something I should be looking at to start off with? Thanks for any help.

Images
    At 6'3" I'd look at 11' hammocks for the most comfort. 220 is nothing to worry about.
    Wilderness Logic Owl or Snipe hammocks come to mind. There are others also worth checking out. Look in the vendor section of the forum.
    You are probably going to need a bug net and tarp as well. WL sells them also.
    Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on OandB's recommendation of looking at 11 footers. You're a big guy and you'll appreciate that wisdom down the road. Also, not a bad idea, if you have friends or acquaintances in your area that have hammocks, to try a couple just to get a feel for the lay.

All in all, there are plenty of 11 footers to consider. In some part it will come down to how much of an investment you want to make and how quickly.

All the best and keep us posted as to how you make out.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Have a look at the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 its around $169-175.00 come with cool options , roomy, shelf, and bug net but no tarp. YouTube it and you'll see if you like it or not. I went w a Clark but they are very expensive. I wasn't going to buy my son a Clark so he got the Warbonnet on sale. (1.7 has 2 layers of rip stop nylon and it supports 250+)

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7dbl
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks guys. I have previously looked at just about everything out there, but was looking to start out with something "economical" price wise to see how I'm going to like hammocks. Unfortunately from what I can tell that's pretty hard to do for someone my height. I had considered WB, but looks like I'd have to step up to the xlc for the length. After more consideration I'm leaning toward just shelling out the dough for a HH Explorer Deluxe with the hex fly and grabbing some larger tree straps, biners, and rappel descending rings for the suspension. What do you guys think of this setup? I think I've spent more time looking at suspension than anything and this just looks to be the simplest method for me to start off with, without having to actually make any mods to the hammock... But to be honest I really don't have a clue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSaac View Post
    Thanks guys. I have previously looked at just about everything out there, but was looking to start out with something "economical" price wise to see how I'm going to like hammocks. Unfortunately from what I can tell that's pretty hard to do for someone my height. I had considered WB, but looks like I'd have to step up to the xlc for the length. After more consideration I'm leaning toward just shelling out the dough for a HH Explorer Deluxe with the hex fly and grabbing some larger tree straps, biners, and rappel descending rings for the suspension. What do you guys think of this setup? I think I've spent more time looking at suspension than anything and this just looks to be the simplest method for me to start off with, without having to actually make any mods to the hammock... But to be honest I really don't have a clue.
    Most hammocks come with your choice of strap and buckle or whoopies and tree straps. So you don't have to buy extra stuff.

If you buy a good brand name hammock & tarp you will have no trouble selling it in the forsale section losing very little of your investment should you decide hammocks are not for you.
    HH are good hammocks but they don't resell as fast as WB, JRB, WL, TTTG, Dream.
    How much is a HH Explorer Deluxe with the hex fly vs. Wilderness Logic Snipe, and Tadpole?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7dbl
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Alright, so I checked out WL and I like the size of the Snipe and the fact that it already comes with a good suspension system. I do wish they made an option for a built in the bug net, but thats not a deal breaker. As for the Tad Pole, do you know how well the coverage is with the 132" ridgeline? If im reading it right, it looks like the tarp is the same length as the hammock which makes me wonder if there is enough hangover on each end (although I guess when the hammock sags it's not a full 11ft). Also, I see all the options for different tie out points on the tarp. If I don't choose any of these what comes on the actual tarp itself? Sorry if all these questions seem a bit ignorant, I just want to make sure I don't waste my money on something Im not going to be happy with. Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSaac View Post
    Alright, so I checked out WL and I like the size of the Snipe and the fact that it already comes with a good suspension system. I do wish they made an option for a built in the bug net, but thats not a deal breaker. As for the Tad Pole, do you know how well the coverage is with the 132" ridgeline? If im reading it right, it looks like the tarp is the same length as the hammock which makes me wonder if there is enough hangover on each end (although I guess when the hammock sags it's not a full 11ft). Also, I see all the options for different tie out points on the tarp. If I don't choose any of these what comes on the actual tarp itself? Sorry if all these questions seem a bit ignorant, I just want to make sure I don't waste my money on something Im not going to be happy with. Thanks
    The only bad question is the one you did not ask.
    I believe you can get a tadpole with a 144" RL which is highly recommended for an 11' hammock.

Having a seperate bug net means you don't have to carry it in your pack when there are no bugs.
    I hate bugnets they are nessary sometimes. A cool backup when you leave your bug net at home
    and bugs show up is a fishermans head net. Super light just tuck it in your pack and forget it.

Pullouts are optional on a tarp this size it's your call.
    Some love them some don't. I never use pullouts. To many lines to deal with extra stakes to carry.
    Since you are trying to save money I would not get them. You can add pullout at a later time.
    Tarp grip clips easy and cheap way to add pullouts.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-07-2014 at 15:40.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7dbl
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well I went and jumped in the deep end. Just ordered a WBBB xlc 1.7 dbl with whoopies, figured why not go ahead and buy something I won't have to upgrade later. No tarp as of now, that will have to wait for the next paycheck.

• + New Posts