Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Summer quilt

As the weather turns hot and humid especially here in the south I have been questioning What i should use for a summer quilt.

Ideally something lighter in weight then my regular top quilt I have a few ideas but am wondering if anyone out there has any more that i may not have thought of?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Neat Sheets work pretty OK. When it is warm at night I usually just bring a bed sheet. Cheap, easy, and light.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah i was tinking maybe a bed sheet too but they actually weigh as much as my down quilt is that not strange or what

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've picked up fleece on sale at Joanns fabrics - Haven't even hemmed it. Spent about eight bucks and there's enough to make a light blanket for when night temps are 50-60.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah I did grab some fleece but it also seems to be just as heavy as my normal quilt Also trying to find some actual polartec fleece is hard

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a thin fleece bag that I used as a quilt on my thru from central VA to NH. It weighs a pound which is barely less then my no sniv. It doen't get me below 50 with some modest clothing on. It just isn't worth it compared to a down quilt. I am planning on making a sewn trough summer quilt very soon. The only problem is once you make the shell, you already have 7.7 ounces. I always have a habit of being overzelous with the down. But the most I would put in it is 4 ounces I think. Thats about 3/4 of a pound but it will have a little bit bigger range then a fleece and you can always vent it. I cann't imagine you could get much lower and still have much insulation.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have a thin fleece bag that I used as a quilt on my thru from central VA to NH. It weighs a pound which is barely less then my no sniv. It doen't get me below 50 with some modest clothing on. It just isn't worth it compared to a down quilt. I am planning on making a sewn trough summer quilt very soon. The only problem is once you make the shell, you already have 7.7 ounces. I always have a habit of being overzelous with the down. But the most I would put in it is 4 ounces I think. Thats about 3/4 of a pound but it will have a little bit bigger range then a fleece and you can always vent it. I cann't imagine you could get much lower and still have much insulation.
    I'd put one inch baffles in it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    As the weather turns hot and humid especially here in the south I have been questioning What i should use for a summer quilt.

Ideally something lighter in weight then my regular top quilt I have a few ideas but am wondering if anyone out there has any more that i may not have thought of?
    Good luck! I slept out the other night, I think lows might have finally got down to the high 60s from the low 70s most of the night, with a deluge approaching which got there about 5A.M.. I was using a 40-50*F summer synthetic bag, but it was just sticky and too warm most of the night. But not quite right with nothing. I was camped about 10 feet from the lake, it was quite humid. But, when the wind would blow, it was a tad uncomfortable on my back. So, I got in the rectangular bag with zipper on top. This is all I needed on bottom, but I couldn't get comfortable on top- too warm over me, a little cool on top if open.

Finally, about 2 A.M., I put the torso length WM blue pad in the BMBH, and loosely drapped the bag over me, and temps had dropped enough by then that I was able to sleep comfortably. But what I probably needed on top was a cotton sheet or at most a light blanket, something like I would use on my bed.

A few weeks ago at Hot Springs, N.C., beside the river, same problem! Just too warm and humid for me to get comfortable. Of course, the trouble there was all I had with me was cold weather gear, and I don't know what the night time temps were, but it felt warm. I had a MWUQ under me as loose as I could hang it on the BMBH, and cotton shorts and tee shirt plus a 20*F quilt drape very loosely over me, with nothing on or near my head. I woke up in the middle of the night covered in sweat! And that was April(end of) in the mountains- though only at 1300 feet.

So all I need in the summer most of the time is a bed sheet. The trouble is, in the mountains it can sometimes be pretty cool even in the summer. Tough for me to come up with one item to do it all. But, I'm not much of a summer camper any way. I like fall through early spring.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah we were there for fri-sat night at the hot springs hangout and it was cooler that night was not that bad.

Thats my problem i cant just camp in certain seasons i have to go all the time. I have been thinking about taking a reactor sleeping bag liner and cutting it up to use as a blanket

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I've had pretty good luck with the Neat Sheet. That what I use in the hottest summer months.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast