Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps

Mazama Ridge - Mt. Rainier

Okay, I'll start, but I'm the rookie of the four of us that made the three day, two night adventure to Mount Rainier National Park.

Rolling from home relatively early on Friday morning. Missed connecting with Dedominick for a carpool, but did not get either of us off track. Met up with Coil and Zugcat at Highlanders in Ashford for lunch. Dedominick met us there about the time we were done with lunch, so he got his to go.

Brief stop at the backcountry registration counter, Dedominick chained up...creatively, proving the benefits of mule tape run far and wide and that a creative and motivated hammock camper will not be stopped.

Arrived at Paradise, parked in the designated area and began to pull the pulks out of our rigs. Happy to see that both Coil and Zugcat had pulks as filled as mine. They each sport a cool Gary_R pulk with different customizations, mine is my own DIY from a Lucky Dog sled and the rickshaw belt/poles from our Chariot stroller. Dedominick was the only brave soul packing it in on his back. I was using my splitboard for the first time in three or four years, hoping it would be better than snowshoes, but I had the snowshoes along for the ride...just in case.

The plan was not too aggressive, do a slight descend from the parking area around the Mazama Ridge road, picking someplace to head off trail up toward the ridge. No intentions to go to the ridge, or too far, just trying to get out in the fresh mountain air with snow and friends. Needless to say that mission was so accomplished. Having left the parking area pretty late, we did not have much daylight with which to play, so we struck off.

Second bridge, hang a left, up a short hill, cross a open snowfield with loose glades and there is a nice grove of pines situated just for us. We started making camp and getting our shelter prepared, all toiling away happily. Then, I noticed something...what the heck kind of hammock is that red thingy there, Coil?

First night's temps were the coldest, hit 14 on a couple of our thermometers. Inside my WBBB and sock I found at least 10-15 degrees warmer temps! Good piece of kit for sure! Set up my WBBB with HG 20 degree Incubator and HG 0 degree Burrow. I was way more comfortable than expected, as this was my first actual winter hang. I've camped in the snow in the Midwest (NE Indiana), PA, Europe and the PNW, but always on the ground. Second night's temps were around 22 and I found myself actually heated and venting on a few occasions throughout the night.

The camp common area was cool. Creatively crafting and customizing our seating spaces by cutting out blocks with Coil's snowsaw was fun, and a good way to warm up when the chill started to set in. All I can say is I'm a novice in this category, and Coil, Zugcat and Dedominick all had way cooler ice lounger/kitchen areas than I.

Gear was cool too. Coil is a beast, lugging out a bunch of fresh proteins and veggies to cook up in his camping wok, yes I said wok! This is a full sized wok and he cooked some awesome smelling and looking meals in his wok over his Svea. Zugcat has his Svea too, first time I've seen them in action, pretty cool things for sure. Dedominick's canister and Jetboil system worked pretty well, even roared when the canister was placed into a pot of water. My Brunton white gas stove ran reliably and I found that I need to do a bit of work on my MSR Whisperlite before it is ready to roll.

This looked like a reflectix convention, although the tent camping, wok toting Coil opted to not bring along any reflectix, except for hiding some in his camp shoes as thermal liners. We all deduced that snow's abrasive qualities thrashes the silvery layer fast, but reflectix would make a really slick gliding sled...should you have any wonder.

I was delighted that my, as of yet unnamed, snow melting pot worked awesome. I fabricated it myself, repurposing a 6# tomato can for the pot and removing the bottom of a 5L Newcastle Brown beer keg and making a nifty lid for my pot. I dare not call it a Hillbilly pot, for fear of offending ShugShuggity himself. Name suggestions welcome. I think I ran my stove for about a straight hour, melting snow like a champ, and refilling all the water bottles around camp. This was my first white gas camping stove use, and I learned a lot thanks to the support of the group.

Conversation was grand, beer was brewed in the backcountry by both Coil and I. Wine was enjoyed by all, and when Dedominick and I hiked back out to the visitors center to look for three of his college buddies (that could not see the trail marking gnome left prominently for them to follow to our camp) he hiked in a few of their left over PBR tallboys, and we put them to good use too.

After two glorious nights it was time to return home...but not before having a Boinker Burger (burger, lettuce, onion, bacon, cheese and peanut butter) in Elbe on the way out.

My photos were limited, my experience single perspective...time for the other three to chime in with their additions!

I know the other three are close to 100% for the upcoming Oregon hang. I'm hopeful that I can add my name to the list of attendees...trying to convince the whole family, or at least one brave daughter to attend. Off to you gents!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mumbles; 01-07-2014 at 02:09.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Nicely done, Mumbles.....
    I'm starting to get the urge to be buried in fluffy white snow with all these
    wintery trip reports.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Nice report, and pictures.
    I hate that feeling when you are stuck in the shade in winter and you can see the sun shining warmly just yonder.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice report! Thanks for the pics... can't wait to see more! I agree with ofuros about getting the itch to get out and sleep in the powdery white!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Love the snow lounger pic! Wish we got snow like that in Georgia.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Awesome! I'd like go to Rainier one day.

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies

Mazama Ridge - Mt. Rainier

I had a great time! I have to admit that I chose to use my neglected Hilleberg tent for this trip. The GSI wok worked out great with my SVEA 123 and Sigg Tourist cook set. As Mumbles said not too many pics were taken and for whatever reason I'm missing a few. :/

Last edited by Coil; 01-07-2014 at 14:11.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific to see your trip out in the chilly chill.
    The wok is mighty fine.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Nice report and picts Mumbles.
    Thanks for sharing your adventure and congrats on your first real winter hang.
    Man that Coil knows how to do it in the snow. Love the wok with seva.
    Any picts of your hammock setup for winter slumber?
    Sorry had to ask, love checking out winter kits.

Amazing pictures.looks like you had some nice days.really enjoyed them,thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast