Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: UQP users

  1. #11
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,810
    You will love it Chigger, and it will come in handy at the hang.
    PitaPata Dog tickers

  2. #12
    cba191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    Posts
    173
    My UQP just shipped. My setup is coming together nicely.

  3. #13
    Lamboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Posts
    281
    Images
    1
    My status has been changed to shipped also. Holy Cow that was fast and now I am overly excited!!!

  4. #14
    michigandave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Clarkston, MI
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner, Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD TH. WH, Asym
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, EE
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Posts
    726
    I got one last month after seeing one in action. I've noticed a boost in temp and overall comfort. I just got in from backyard hang in 40 degree, 100 percent humidity and rain for most of the night. Started out with 16" of snow and now it's half that. Needless to say, it is very damp out. The results with the UQP and my KAQ New River UQ? It worked perfect as the first level of protection and kept my UQ bone dry. A must have for any kit
    Hangin' in the Great Lakes State

  5. #15
    Ratdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Swamp in the woods
    Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Posts
    2,672
    Picked up a 2QZQ UQP from the for sale section (thx RadicalHoope) and have been using it for a couple days.

    Definitely noticed the increased warm from the blocked airflow.

    Temps went from 34-53 last night with rain, i.e. heavy humidity. The UQP is damp, unfortunately the New River is a bit damp as well. This is the breathable UQP but it is not magic and condensation happens.

    Still, there is no doubt, this is part of my full time kit short of very warm temps and clear weather. Very happy to have it.

  6. #16
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,013
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Picked up a 2QZQ UQP from the for sale section (thx RadicalHoope) and have been using it for a couple days.

    Definitely noticed the increased warm from the blocked airflow.

    Temps went from 34-53 last night with rain, i.e. heavy humidity. The UQP is damp, unfortunately the New River is a bit damp as well. This is the breathable UQP but it is not magic and condensation happens.

    Still, there is no doubt, this is part of my full time kit short of very warm temps and clear weather. Very happy to have it.
    +1 on the condensation can happen with breathable stuff. Probably why I am a VB fan. But I imagine the biggest advantage of the UQP- as with the UC and even over cover of the HHSS, would be blocking of wind, and to a lessor degree blocking of splash up and wind driven sideways rain that manages to get past the tarp. IOW, the OP wanted to know if it would maybe by him a few more degrees. Some have said maybe 10F additional. But I think the real benefit would be: if wind is getting to your UQ for whatever reason, it could rob 20 or 30 degrees from it's rating, even compressing loft. Assuming the quilt itself is not windproof, the UQP should protect from all of that as well or better than a well pitched tarp. And maybe even allow the use of a smaller tarp if desired without giving up much protection.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  7. #17
    Lamboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Posts
    281
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    +1 on the condensation can happen with breathable stuff. Probably why I am a VB fan. But I imagine the biggest advantage of the UQP- as with the UC and even over cover of the HHSS, would be blocking of wind, and to a lessor degree blocking of splash up and wind driven sideways rain that manages to get past the tarp. IOW, the OP wanted to know if it would maybe by him a few more degrees. Some have said maybe 10F additional. But I think the real benefit would be: if wind is getting to your UQ for whatever reason, it could rob 20 or 30 degrees from it's rating, even compressing loft. Assuming the quilt itself is not windproof, the UQP should protect from all of that as well or better than a well pitched tarp. And maybe even allow the use of a smaller tarp if desired without giving up much protection.
    Yup. I wanted something to get me comfortably down to the rare occasions in the teens and single digits in Maryland with my 20*incubator. It is a plus for the protection and water resistance

    Update* fantastic workmanship
    Last edited by Lamboy; 01-13-2014 at 19:08.

  8. #18
    King Dork brooklynkayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Posts
    245
    I don't use an UQP, but instead use my WB Traveler Sock as a UQP.

    I carry it almost always. I will always hang it if it is at all cool out or I expect weather, but leave it unzipped and rolled up on my ridgeline.

    I can then unroll it to cover my underquilt like an underquilt protector. If I want more warmth and/or weather protection, I can zip the ends in as far as required.

    I now carry a lighter top and bottom quilt because of the sock and I would expect the same results with an UQP.

    UQPs and socks are the future. They add a lot more protection and warmth for their weight than other options.
    It just takes a while for most people to realize/believe this.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

  9. #19
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Incubators/Burrow
    Posts
    3,423
    Images
    20
    I'll have to give mine another try. I purchased the breathable version but ended up with ~2oz of water in mine in the middle of the night! Luckily my Incubator didn't absorb any. It also held in a lot of condensation that formed on the UQ.

    Maybe I should just save it for warmer trips to block any rain blowing in from t-storms?

  10. #20
    Senior Member Fire-Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    RevX and Incubator
    Suspension
    Woopie/Dutch Gear
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'll have to give mine another try. I purchased the breathable version but ended up with ~2oz of water in mine in the middle of the night! Luckily my Incubator didn't absorb any. It also held in a lot of condensation that formed on the UQ.

    Maybe I should just save it for warmer trips to block any rain blowing in from t-storms?
    I'd be very curious for you to try it again and post your results. Most of what you hear is very positive, but some have warned to hang it low, just off you UQ - just in case...

Similar Threads

  1. Any Fan Users?
    By WLMiller54 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 21:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •