Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Incubators/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Bug View Post
    I'd be very curious for you to try it again and post your results. Most of what you hear is very positive, but some have warned to hang it low, just off you UQ - just in case...
    I wonder if it's possible to have it TOO low? I really cinched the thing up and it's still a good 6" away from my UQ. But everything was covered nicely so I just left it that way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I purchased the breathable version but ended up with ~2oz of water in mine in the middle of the night!
    It doesn't sound like it was very breathable if water was gathering in it?
    Check it by breathing through the fabric.

It is normally for it to be wet from condensation, but pooling water sounds like waterproof material.

Any condensation that is in a UQP is condensation that probably could have collected in the down of your underquilt if you didn't have the UQP.

I suspect you can reduce condensation in the UQP by leaving just enough gap on one end or side to allow for some air flow, at the cost of warmth of course.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    I wonder if it's possible to have it TOO low? I really cinched the thing up and it's still a good 6" away from my UQ. But everything was covered nicely so I just left it that way.
    I had similar issue only mine was even lower than 6 inches. Then add to that I am short so my set up is closer to the ground and my UQP was sitting on the ground. I put a prussic on both ends of my suspension and attached the UQP to that so I could move it up/down as needed. It worked pretty good.

Images
    Hi Mark, What would you guess the humidity was that night?
    If it was 95-100% there really would be no place for your perspiration to go.
    I could see in some situations perspiration and environmental condensation collecting on everything.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Incubators/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Mark, What would you guess the humidity was that night?
    If it was 95-100% there really would be no place for your perspiration to go.
    I could see in some situations perspiration and environmental condensation collecting on everything.
    It sure was high. The day started off around 15 when I woke up, sort of a freezing fog. Quickly rose to about 35 by afternoon and started raining around 6PM. I believe it rained/freezing rain solid until 10AM or so, but that was my whole purpose of having a UQP - to block any splatter from the ground and blowing rain (both not very likely though)

Images
    It sure was high. The day started off around 15 when I woke up, sort of a freezing fog. Quickly rose to about 35 by afternoon and started raining around 6PM. I believe it rained/freezing rain solid until 10AM or so, but that was my whole purpose of having a UQP - to block any splatter from the ground and blowing rain (both not very likely though)
    I don't do the tiny tarp thing so rain splatter from the ground isn't very likely for me. I mostly use the UQP as a wind breaker.
    If I thought an UQP would help in humid conditions I'd hang it loose so there would be no wicking up into my quilt.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've been looking at these for too long. It's time to jump on the bandwagon!

Love this forum! Have questions about anything ever in the history of hammock hanging (or the history of the world, for that matter)? Just start reading and you're bound to find lots of sound advice.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamboy View Post
    ... For those of you with the Under Quilt protector. How often does it go with you and does it make a large difference for you?
    I have the UQP and a BBO for each of my WBBB hammocks. I take them on every trip. If I'm not using the UQP for warmth, it makes a good gear hammock or sorts. (This was discovered by accident and now it is my norm.)
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    So...similar question.

Ordered my UQP today. Thinking about spring/fall use...any thoughts on how a breathable UQP might work with a PLUQ?

Add a bit of warmth like with any other UQP?

What about running a space blanket directly under the quilt, on top of a PLUQ, and then the UQP?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Images
    I have used my UQP once and it performed admirably. I had it along with my 20* set of top and bottom quilts from hammock gear. Temps got into the teens and then windchill on top. Im looking to hopefully try it this weekend again as we are in for some close to freezing temperatures and rain. So far so good.