Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Wiggy's Ground Pad kept their promise. It is warmer than my Fjällräven Ground Sheet CCF EVA pad which is 14 mm (0,55") thick. Fjällräven pad could be used when sleeping directly on snow, so Wiggy's pad can do it even better. Of course Wiggy's product weights over double the EVA pad. ..................................
    Weight of the pad and pads is enormous when taking their insulation capability to the equation if comparing for example to Exped Syn mats. But I have a dream to spend 1-2 months at the woods or lake area. Then these would in my opinion be usable. Bomb proof equipment which is easy to use makes your life easier and keeps the need of repairing/emergency equipment lesser, so makes the whole of your pack lighter and more manageable. Light is good, but less equipment items is good also. And also because in very long trip there is no hurry to go anywhere the weight of the equipment does not slow you down too much.

I'll report more after using doubled up pad system next night... Thanks for Your time!
    Thx for the report!

What is the advantage of these pads over a 1" thick(25.4 mm) CCF pad or an even thicker CCF pad or multiple thin CCF pads inside an SPE or ENO Hot spot? Wouldn't the CCF be warmer at even less weight? And it also could not be punctured, is wind proof and water proof, as I think the Wiggys are also.

Would the advantage of the Wiggys ( vs CCF) be comfort in a hammock, works better in a hammock?

EDIT: Wait! I just saw this:
    - Tightly packed Exped takes under half of the space needed for one Ground pad, so I could carry three Exped pads and have same weight and less bulk in winter time. That would equal six Ground pads insulation capability!

- Thick CCF EVA pad insulates less and is as bulky and harder to roll tightly. I think three of those would be needed to get similar insulation than two Ground pads, that would be too bulky, but weight less than one Ground pad. EVA foam also hardens at cold and is sometimes frustrating to roll open. EVA pads are not as nice to sleep on at hard wood in cabin use or at wooden floored lean-to's. Even when using two of them.
    Thick CCF insulates less?

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thx for the report!

Thick CCF insulates less?
    On contrary to the CCF pads usually talked at these forums the 14 mm CCF is thick. And it insulates less than Wiggy's ground pad. Text is about comparison to the Ground pad which is the main subject in this review.
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-16-2014 at 11:15.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thx for the report!

What is the advantage of these pads over a 1" thick(25.4 mm) CCF pad or an even thicker CCF pad or multiple thin CCF pads inside an SPE or ENO Hot spot? Wouldn't the CCF be warmer at even less weight? And it also could not be punctured, is wind proof and water proof, as I think the Wiggys are also.

Would the advantage of the Wiggys ( vs CCF) be comfort in a hammock, works better in a hammock?
    If you use 1" CCF it can not be rolled as small as Wiggy's Ground pad. Actually I can not think anyone could roll 28" x 72" sized 1" thick ClosedCellFoam EVA pad to anything that could be meaningful as a camping equipment. Is there something I do not understand?

I have been using two Fjällräven Ground sheets 14 mm and even those are not small enough to use in real life scenarios.

So we have something which is easier to handle, warmer and little bit smaller, but weights lot more than CCF. I do not yet know if Wiggy's ground pad is good enough solution to anything, but I'm willing to test it. We will see what happens...
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-16-2014 at 11:19.

Hammock
    DD Hammocks Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    DD UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    L&L Cinch Buckle
    Thank you for your rolling review. I'm pretty new to sleeping in a hammock and have been using Wiggy's sleeping pad between the layers of my double layer hammock. Two weeks ago I was very warm and comfortable in a Wiggy 20F bag and the pad in <32F overnight.

I tried CCF but found it not as comfortable. Great idea using two Wiggys pads. I have bought a thin extra wide (36") CCF pad to add under the wiggy pad if it ever gets cold enough here.

I look forward to your updates.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    I have been using exclusively my Wiggy's Ground pad - and I have no intention to change.

Minor negative point has been the fact that when used in hammock the insulation has a tendency to drop away from the corners. I mean when the pad is U-curved under sleeper at some point after several nights you notice that insulation gets crumbled away from the side especially from head area, where there is no pressure from sleepers body. There are few through stitched points in pad, so insulation should stay in it's in place, but there are these problem areas anyhow. I do not yet know if this is a show stopper in hammock use. At this point it seems that insulation is easy to straighten.

Otherwise I'm very happy! Pad is way better than EVA-foam, better insulation and more cushioning. And it is more usable than air-pads. In my recent bicycle trip it was very easy to take it off from my bike and throw it in to the ground for a short nap on gravel road. And after the nap it was very easy to roll it again and fix it to the bike with it's own straps. If I had been using air-pad pumping it full and then emptying it would have been too big job to been done when I was tired.

I will continue to test the pad. Autumn rains will come and show me what happens when it gets wet - there is no cover pack included for the pad and I have no intention to use one.

So I'm happy as I said. And I still think this is a best compromise between air-pads and EVA-pads. Better insulation and comfort than EVA-pad and easier to deploy than air-pad. And because there is no fear of puncture there is no need to keep patch kit with you.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-11-2014 at 09:12.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad &amp; Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    There is a Wiggy's store up here in AK, I have one of their bags and love it. I was debating on making on of their blankets or underpads into an UQ, anyone have any thoughts about this?
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    I have been thinking the same, but I mainly use pad and I already have Enlightened equipment climashield quilt and have no need to experiment with Wiggy's quilts.

My question is what about the water and Ground Pad. It is not totally waterproof, but it is so whether proof that I have a fear that inside of it will not ever dry if it gets wet. Mainly the problems are stitching parts of it but when it gets very old I think at some point there will be small holes on the fabric also.

So has anyone got any ideas what will happen if Wiggy's Ground pad gets soaked? Experience or educated guesses are both valued and needed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad &amp; Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    I will have to check but their bags are insulated with lamilite, a synthetic that doesn't lose it's insulating property even when soaked. IT was part of the reason I bought from them up here, the bag is much heavier that typically cold weather bags but here in AK when temps can hit -40 I'd prefer something that will hold its properties no matter what.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonhawk View Post
    I will have to check but their bags are insulated with lamilite, a synthetic that doesn't lose it's insulating property even when soaked. IT was part of the reason I bought from them up here, the bag is much heavier that typically cold weather bags but here in AK when temps can hit -40 I'd prefer something that will hold its properties no matter what.
    I must clarify myself it seems.

The soaked part is true. I got my Wiggy's +35 F Overbag soaked once in the Alpine hammock, water had got in and because the bottom is waterproof it stayed in. Bag was wet and actually so was the Ground pad. I shaked up both and got to sleep. Almost instantaneously I was warm but very wet, at the morning I was dry, bag was a bit moist. It was not cold enough to prove the legend, but I was very impressed.

When I said I do not test Wiggy's quilts I meant I have no need to test them as an UQ. Climashield is almost as good as Lamilite.

And the problem I fear with the throughly soaked Ground pad is the scenario that if the water will stay in then there will be fungus etc. growing inside pad and bad smell at some point. I'm not worried about loosing insulation. Ground pad with fungus farm inside will be unusable and may be even a health hazard - fungus toxins are very dangerous.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast