Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Regarding the question from mbubbz regarding the head pole position on the NX-250; I pitch my NX-250 with only a slight sag. I have found that to be the most comfortable position and it keeps the head pole upright. I have been experimenting, and learned that pitching the NX-250 too tightly can stretch the system and somewhat impede the smooth operation of the zippers on the netting and weather shield. After only a few nights out in the NX-250, it is now easy to “eyeball” the correct degree of sag so everything works out smoothly.

Thanks to bernc3 for the insulation tip on the Clark. The recommendation among the Forum members in favor of an UQ setup of some type in cold weather seems like good advice. I sometimes camp during the winter months in northern Arizona. Depending on the location, winter nighttime temperatures can easily get down to 15° and even lower if the sky is clear.

I’m looking forward to rigging out the NX-250 to keep me warm in winter. I’ll be experimenting with different insulation set ups; closer to home as suggested by TinaLouise.
    I have been to those temps easily with just a pad,sleeping bag,and the right clothing in mine. But to each there own.

I am glad to see that your getting along with yours. Have fun with it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Those NX 250s are a nice looking unit. I look forward to hearing about them more.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

I agree.... I'm dying to get one. Some of you guys with the 250's need to post up detailed pictures. I'm gonna sell my NA for one.

-ZA

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Z Lite
    After reading about this hammock on the Clark site, I'm interested in hearing more too...

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

NX-250 Pictures

Some of you have requested pictures of the NX-250. So, I am including a few from a solo backpacking trip that I made this past weekend to an area about 30 miles southeast of Flagstaff, AZ. I was camped at about 7,400' altitude. Temperatures ranged from ~ 40 - 75 degrees. The wind was gusty to about 25 mph.

I have used the NX-250 on quite a few nights since receiving my order from Clark in May 2009. On this most recent trip, I was out for two days and slept with the RX-250 tarp installed both nights. I filled the under pockets of the NX-250 with miscellaneous stuff as recommended. For sleep clothes at this time of the year, I wear mid-weight polypropylene long johns and a stocking cap. My sleeping bag is a semi-rectangular NF-20 degree down bag. I used a regular Thermarest pad inside the NX-250 for additional insulation. As an experiment on one night, I installed an improvised UQ using two military poncho liners

On this trip, I slept warm in the NX-250 with just the Thermarest pad and down bag which has proven to work fairly well for me; down to temperatures in the high 30's. On the second night out, I tested the improvised UQ which added some welcome warmth. At some point in the future, I think I might move towards a "full out" down UQ. I would like to leave the pad at home to save weight. Although the Thermarest does a good job in the NX-250, I also find myself chasing it around a lot. In looking for an UQ, I'm going to check with Clark to see if they have any UQ products upcoming. I also like the look of the JRB Mt. Washington UQ.

I apologize for any shortcomings in my photography. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks for posting those. That underquilt of poncho liners looks like it worked out slick - the NX-250 seems to have good attachment points for them. If you used two of them, it appears from the pictures they were used as a "double thickness" liner - is that correct?

My NX250 should get here today, and I am also waiting to see what Clark's rendition of the underquilt will be. Hopefully they will have something out before Fall, but it sounds like they are hard pressed to get just the hammocks made right now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great pics. I think Clark has some of the coolest looking hammocks

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Improvised UQ

Regarding the improvised UQ that appears in the pictures of the NX-250; I used two Thinsulate poncho liners, which I had obtained from Brigade Quartermasters a while ago. Together, they created a double thickness UQ. I was just experimenting to see how they would work. I would definitely use them again. At one point in the night using the improvised UQ, I was actually too warm with temperatures in the low 40's. I threw off my sleeping bag and just slept in a t-shirt and polypro pants for a while.

I'm glad the poncho liners worked, and I'll probably use them again. I would also like to consider getting a lighter weight (down) UQ as on option at some point in the future. The poncho liners are 22 oz. each for a total pack weight of 44 oz. A JRB Mt. Washington UQ is 28 oz. if I recall correctly.

IMO, the NX-250 has good attachment points for an improvised UQ. I snaked a line through the hoop pockets then tied the UQ into the stakeout loops at each of the four corners of the hammock. Tieing in through the hoop pockets keeps upward tension on the UQ. I think next time I can improve the rig by using bungee cord to tie the UQ in a gathered configuration then onto the main support lines at each end of the NX-250.

Good luck with your new NX-250.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Well I am finaily at a computer and can now say great pictures and trip report that thing looks so cool it will be fall before I a can get one but I will no bout a dout it.....

How did you hang your pack to the tree?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast