Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Hanging The Backpack

For many years, I have used a single extra-heavyweight bungee to hang my backpack on a tree. My initial pack weight for a four - five day trip is about 45 pounds. In Arizona and northern Mexico, I usually pack 4 liters of water for safety. If you are consuming water as recommended out here, your pack weight will drop pretty fast. The weight of the heavyweight bungee is ~4 oz.

In the picture I posted, I hung my pack on the same tree that is at the "head end" of my hammock. I just take one loop with the bungee around the tree (hopefully catching a branch on the backside), then hook the bungee to the haul loop on my pack, and let gravity do the rest. It's really fast and easy. At night, if it looks like it might rain, I wrap my silnylon poncho over the pack and its all good; even in a downpour. My long haul pack, shown in the picture is an Arcteryx Bora 80.

I think that most folks would like the way that the stretch in the bungee is easy on the tree, it holds well, and the pack suspension acts as additional padding against the bark. In the end; my aim is get the pack at about waist height so I can work out of it while not doing careless damage to the tree. Sometimes, I just work off the ground and stack my pack under the hammock at night.

I like to leave my camp area pretty much as I found it. If I'm hunting, I even pick up my brass; a hold over from my military days.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Great Pics!

You can fold the poncho liner in half to get a double layer UQ that is about 45" x 61". With all the tieouts it is easy to join the ends and have points to attach the suspension. Great for late spring to early fall for most. When temps drop into the 40's and below it is hard to beat a good UQ for warmth.

I like to leave my camp area pretty much as I found it. If I'm hunting, I even pick up my brass; a hold over from my military days.
    With a name like longbow why are you picking up brass?

I just ordered a NX250 today after selling my NA. I'm stoked! Thanks for the really nice pictures... they sealed the deal for me.

-ZA

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    I just ordered a NX250 today after selling my NA. I'm stoked! Thanks for the really nice pictures... they sealed the deal for me.

-ZA
    Make sure you post how you like the 250 vs the 200. I have wondered if it is really worth the extra $$$

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

UQ for the NX-250

Hangnout... that's a terrific idea you have about folding the poncho liner in half. I'm going to try that. It should fit well under the NX-250.

As for picking up brass while hunting, with a name like "longbow", well... that's a "long" story. Your comment gave me a great laugh, thanks very much.

I'm a two season hunter; for sure... no guns on the bow hunts. I have been working to learn instinctive shooting with my bow. Traditional archery fits in well with lightweight backpacking. But, man you really need to get close to make a safe bow shot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    darn, I was hoping with a name like longbow and living in AZ you flew the AH-64. I was really looking forward to hearing about picking up brass!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123