Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

NX-250 First Time Out

Hello, I am posting for the first time.

I recently purchased a Clark NX-250 with an RX-250 camouflage rain fly. In my opinion; the design, workmanship, and overall quality of Clark’s products are impressive. The pole design included on the NX-250 spread out the hammock over my head and provided a very roomy feel.

I have only had time to complete one quick 3 day trip so far. Here is my report. I hope it is useful.

I took the NX-250 hammock out on the Highline Trail which is located in Arizona below the “rim country”. Trail elevations are generally above 6,000’. The habitat is primarily Ponderosa forest with intermittent perennial streams coming off of the rim. The temperatures on this trip ranged from the low 40°s at night to daytime temperatures approaching the upper 70°s. The winds were light to moderate.

On each of the nights that I was out, I picked well sheltered areas off of the trail to set up camp . My sleep system inside the NX-250 included an old style 20” x 72” Thermarest mattress (R = ~ 3.5) and a 20° NF semi-rectangular down bag. I slept in heavyweight capilene underwear, wool socks, and a stocking cap. My trail clothes and a few pack items were stuffed in the NX-250 hammock’s under pockets. I zipped in the NX-250's weather shield to increase the warmth. Overall, I slept very comfortably. Towards morning, I cooled off a bit and put on a wool shirt which helped to warm me up. I think my approach to insulation needs work.

In the past I have been a lightweight tent camper. I have limited hammock experience, and I definitely have lots to learn. I decided to make the full jump out of my tent and into the NX-250 hammock primarily to help lighten my pack load and to increase my options for "rough country" camp locations. So far so good!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    sounds like a fantastic first time out trip!
    When you're at home, do you have trees in your yard or a park nearby that you can "practice" hanging?? This way you can try different sleeping arrangments to see what works for you and what doesn't. Finding out that something isn't keeping you warm while out on a trail is not fun!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey longbow, Welcome to hanging! It's good to see another AZ hanger. We've got a fast growing community out here. It's a good time of year to be up in Rim country for sure. There's plenty of insulation options to explore. These folks will steer you right.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Glad to hear your first time went well! I think you'll be very happy with the Clark; I know I am!

As for better insulation options you may want to check out the pocket quilts that RAW had made a while ago for his Clark. That and a half-UQ would probably do the trick.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Pocket-UQ thread RAW's Pocket-UQs

Nx-250

I just have purchased the NX-250 and have only been able to hang it under my shop once. I cannot wait until I can get out for real camping after I feel that I have beaten the learning curve al little. I am glad some others are now going to start posting about their 250's. I have been reading all over this forum and really enjoy everyone's enthuasium and knowledge. I had a question about the head pole. I am guessing that when I put mine up I did not stretch it tight enough because the pole was leaning towards my feet, I read somewhere that it needed to streched it tighter. So, i guess my question is how tight you streched your hammock, did it have any sag at all before you laid in it. I have never posted before, I am a new member and cannot wait to start hammocking!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    welcome to HF, mbubbz.

thank you, I will post some pics from an upcoming trip as soon as I can. Have a wedding this weekend and family coming in town next weekend. Hopefully I can get out real soon after the 23rd.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Thanks for the feedback on the NX-250

Regarding the question from mbubbz regarding the head pole position on the NX-250; I pitch my NX-250 with only a slight sag. I have found that to be the most comfortable position and it keeps the head pole upright. I have been experimenting, and learned that pitching the NX-250 too tightly can stretch the system and somewhat impede the smooth operation of the zippers on the netting and weather shield. After only a few nights out in the NX-250, it is now easy to “eyeball” the correct degree of sag so everything works out smoothly.

Thanks to bernc3 for the insulation tip on the Clark. The recommendation among the Forum members in favor of an UQ setup of some type in cold weather seems like good advice. I sometimes camp during the winter months in northern Arizona. Depending on the location, winter nighttime temperatures can easily get down to 15° and even lower if the sky is clear.

I’m looking forward to rigging out the NX-250 to keep me warm in winter. I’ll be experimenting with different insulation set ups; closer to home as suggested by TinaLouise.

Images
    Welcome Longbow and mbubbz!

Longbow, good to read about your successful first hammock trip out there in beautiful AZ! There seems to be a relatively rapidly increasing number of hangers in AZ for just one western state. There is getting to be quite a gang of you folks! But I can understand the increase when I think back on that country I loved, but before I was a hanger. There is so much perfect country for hanging- as well as spectacular country! I don't believe I ever actually hiked the Highline Trail, though I was all over other areas near the Mogollon Rim and lot's of other AZ spots. But it sounds great. Looking forward to pics!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Thanks to bernc3 for the insulation tip on the Clark. The recommendation among the Forum members in favor of an UQ setup of some type in cold weather seems like good advice. I sometimes camp during the winter months in northern Arizona. Depending on the location, winter nighttime temperatures can easily get down to 15° and even lower if the sky is clear.

I’m looking forward to rigging out the NX-250 to keep me warm in winter. I’ll be experimenting with different insulation set ups; closer to home as suggested by TinaLouise.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your hammock so far. Just a heads up before you spend money on UQs; you may want to wait a bit as Clark is releasing their own UQ insulation system. Here's a quote from one of their Reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer: Clark Rep.
    "Hi all,

Okay, so some of you have apparently noticed the velcro strip that has been put on all 4-season models since April 1, 2009 (North American, NX-200 and NX-250). The strip runs across the hammock where the pockets end. The strip also runs between the pockets and the footend of the hammock along the sides of the base material.

This velcro strip will help in the application of our new insulation system, intended for temperatures below freezing. The system will include insulation pads which are filled a high quality synthetic insulation. This is a higher quality insulation than is found in many sleeping bags. These pads will work with our insulating pockets to increase the insulating properties of the hammock.

Six of the pads will fit nicely in the 6 insulating pocket sof the hammock, and will utilize the velcro already available in all of our 4-season models to keep cold air from getting in between the insulation and your body. The pockets will still be useful for holding other items such as boots and gear. One large pad will use the new velcro strips to be secured under your legs and feet.

We anticipate that this new system will weigh the same or less than underquilts currently on the market. We also anticipate that this system will cost far less than many underquilts of similar effectiveness.

So what are the benefits of this insulation system? We foresee that installing this system will be simple, eliminating worries about cold spots or adjustments. You will have the option of installing your insulation before leaving home so that you don't need to worry about it on the trail.

More about Clark's new insulation system will be available in the coming months.

Spencer"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast