question about sewing machines

This is my first post so please excuse me if this has been covered. My wife has a kenmore 24 stitch model no. 176480 and a Singer Merrittlock 14U44. I have asked her to make me

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg

And

http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGo...orgeQuilt.html

She is concerned that her machine doesn't have enough power especially when sewing the webbing. She is also concerned because the reverse function of her Kenmore doesn't work. Will either of these machines be able to complete the listed projects? If not what machines would you recommend for diy gear? I'm also an avid hunter and fishermen and having her make my gear and clothing is very appealing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The Singer is a Serger machine and isn't used at all on either of your projects.

The "webbing" is grosgrain which is a light webbing or heavy ribbon and the Kenmore should do fine. The reverse function isn't necessary, but she will need to turn the fabric around and back tack a few stitches at the start and end of any lines of stitching that will not be crossed by another row. Most are crossed by another and don't need back tacking.

Start with a new sharp pointed needle for each project.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by apphunter View Post
    This is my first post so please excuse me if this has been covered. My wife has a kenmore 24 stitch model no. 176480 and a Singer Merrittlock 14U44. I have asked her to make me

http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg

And

http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGo...orgeQuilt.html

She is concerned that her machine doesn't have enough power especially when sewing the webbing. She is also concerned because the reverse function of her Kenmore doesn't work. Will either of these machines be able to complete the listed projects? If not what machines would you recommend for diy gear? I'm also an avid hunter and fishermen and having her make my gear and clothing is very appealing.
    Yip! I agree. Since I started making my own outdoor gear I haven bought a thing.
    I would go on craigs list and look for a decent industrial machine if you're serious about making outdoor gear.
    A simple 188k $50 singer will sew anything up to #138 thread and 3000lb webbing. If you catch a fish more than 3000lbs you will need a bigger machine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The reverse function isn't necessary, but she will need to turn the fabric around and back tack a few stitches at the start and end of any lines of stitching that will not be crossed by another row.
    Another work around for no reverse is to stop, raise the presserfoot and pul the fabric toward you the equivalent of 4-6 stitches, lower the presser foot and resew over the stitches already there. This saves having to wrestle the whole of the fabric around. Either one is equally valid. Just one requires the turning and the other doesn't.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    'Round these parts we call 'em 'thread injectors' 'cause it sounds cooler.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

No Reverse - No Problem

For 20 years I used a machine that had no reversing mechanism. I simply turned the fabric around, made a few stitches and then turned the fabric around again.

Thanks for the replies guys I'll have to show these to my wife. I think she lacks confidence in her ability more than anything.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You can always do it yourself. Lots of successful projects have been done by HF members that had never sewn before.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What everyone else said.

Also, if you do wind up looking for a new machine, I don't know if you saw the link in Ramblinrev's signature, but I found his sewing machine purchase advice very helpful when I went looking for one that could handle pack fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Another work around for no reverse is to stop, raise the presserfoot and pul the fabric toward you the equivalent of 4-6 stitches, lower the presser foot and resew over the stitches already there. This saves having to wrestle the whole of the fabric around. Either one is equally valid. Just one requires the turning and the other doesn't.
    Thank you, Ramblinrev! That'll help with some of my silnylon ends...been looking for a workaround with my machine that didn't require a different presser foot when I need to do a couple reverse stitches right next to the edge of the fabric.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    My wife has a cheapo Walmart machine, I can't remember who made it, but it's an electronic one with "project runway" or something on it. It was around $150. Its made a lot of bags and clothes and even tree straps for my hammock. Three layers of poly webbing is about its limit, though, once you start bar tacking the stitches. I finished my UQ with it, and it sewed right through the layers of m50 and climashield. Having a big $800 machine would be nice, but the cheapies work okay at least for a while.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts