Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Seneca Creek, Spruce Knob, WV January 3 Backpacking Trip

Our backpacking group DC Backpackers Meetup went out to Spruce Knob for a late "New Year's" Trip this past Friday. When we left home, temps were -20*F with wind chill. At the trail head, the temps were a balmy 6*F. Fortunately we were mostly protected from the 30-40 mph gusts by the many ridges along the way.

The trip up the Horton Trail from the trail head was 1300' elevation gain straight up over 1.5 miles. We followed along a nice half frozen stream, with 4 or 5 shallow water crossings.

At the crest of the ridge, the wind was whipping us pretty good, and the sun had started to go behind a nearby ridge. I arrived at the top with 3 layers of wool. Before I could get my down jacket on, ribbons of ice crystals were already covering my wool outerlayer where the sweat was evaporating.

We descended to Seneca Creek carefully, as the 6+ inches of new snow was very slippery; I decided to leave my microspikes in the car. The only way across the creek was a downed tree. Crossing was a little harrowing at times

We arrived in four groups, with Uphill from this forum coming in on Saturday, having spent the night at the trailhead.

All I can say is that for everyone that can do the -0 thing, good for you. I think my fun threshold bottoms out around 10*f :-) Too much work to stay cold below that, unless someone already has a roaring fire, that is! The wood was saturated, and we got a fire going, but it was a lot of work and a team effort!

I camped in my hammock, stacking my 0* and 20* underquilts, which worked well. Condensation on the sock was a little heavy, as seen in the video.

Saturday we hiked the High Meadows, which were beautiful. Saturday night we ate steak by the fire!

Here's my video of the trip

Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Nice video, looks like a great crowd. congrats to all you brave souls.

Good thing the log fell where it did.

Images
    Nice TR.
    Beautiful waterfall and stream.
    The log crossing was a hoot to watch glad to see no one when in.
    What sock were you using? At 0F one has to really vent.
    I usually stop using one about 15F as switch to a UQP.

thanks

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Thanks for sharing! Awesome winter scenery.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the nice replies!

As for the log, there were a few comments about what next year's group will do should the log be washed down stream!

The sock was one I made with DWR ripstop. An UQ protector would make more sense. I was worried about wind, for which the sock is great...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug

Seneca Creek, Spruce Knob, WV January 3 Backpacking Trip

Well put Demeter, I'll add my report as well. It was good to meet a fellow hanger in a group of almost all ground dwellers.

I had a great time on the trip. After working all day, I met up with 8 other backpackers at the Dunkin Donuts in Centreville, VA. When we finally arrived at the trail head after a Walmart stop, it was 12:30, and the car thermometer was reading 0*. Our group decided to jut camp at the trailhead instead of taking on the 3.2 mile hike to the campsite under the cover of darkness.

Some set up tents, 3 others slept in the back of a minivan (sans backseats), 2 slept out in the open in their sleeping bags, and I slept in my hammock. This sub-zero hang was by far the coldest I've ever experienced. I had 2 UQs stacked, a 20* down stuffed, and a 30* synthetic stuffed. On top I had my 40* REI down stuffed bag (thanks Shug for the inspiration). I also had my REI self inflating sleeping pad under me. I really was not uncomfortable at all. I did keep my head and neck gear on, as well as cozy socks and down booties on as well.

Saturday, we woke up, packed up, and hit the trail. It warmed quickly from the low temps on Friday night as we hiked up and over the ridge line. My keychain thermometer was reading in the 30s as we neared the river crossing to the campsite. Crossing that downed tree was an interesting experience, but all of the group made it across.

Saturday night was down right balmy compared to the previous night's frigid temps. Woke up Sunday, and made breakfast from the hammock (again, thanks Shug for the inspiration) before packing up my gear for the hike back to the parking lot.

Though the hikes weren't long, the experience of hammock camping during the "Polar Vortex" was an experience I enjoyed. Now I can relate (well, sort of) to Shug, and all of those crazies who do the frozen butt hang, and other trips up in the northern Midwest.

This was my second trip this winter, and I think winter camping is one of my favorites.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Nice report as well, Uphill! I love to see hammock hangers added to our ranks!!

I do wish the early and late groups had more time to hang out. Next time you need to join "Team Early" as we have started calling ourselves
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    thanks for the trip report...lovely scenery, and i loved the log hop glad everyone made it across!!!! nothing beats winter camping...i miss it so much..
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Very nice video. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm hoping the hike that area in the spring. Would be nice to do some morel hunting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast