Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I actually may have to try this one, but DEFINITELY going with a hands-free option 0.0

Hammock
    ENO Double/HH Ultra Explorer
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Convincing article, but I probably will just go on without one.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I can see the benefits of an umbrella out west, but where I hike in dense eastern forests, there simply isn't enough room for one 90% of the time. I wish there was because all other rain solutions involve sweating.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Integrity, DIY
    Tarp
    Poncho/DIY-winter
    Insulation
    Pad/Over Bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Tree Strap
    It just seems soooo British.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Actually tried this, the GoLite Chrome, West Rim Trail in PA, about 30 miles. Rain on Day 1 and I deployed the umbrella for about two hours. Very narrow trail through rhododendrons; so long as the umbrella could spin a bit, no problem. Very narrow places, just collapsed the umbrella a bit. 8 oz. so there is weight there (dang light in the context of umbrellas...but 8 oz on the trail is half a pound...). I did not attach it as described elsewhere, just held it--the thing is so light that didn't tire me out at all. I don't use hiking poles, and didn't hit any scramble sections requiring hand-work.

Still some contact water from wet underbrush, and solid wet from the ankles down from wet grass etc., but not sweaty hot from raingear (I draped mine over pack as additional water safety measure), and dry on top half.

Others here have mentioned how valuable an umbrella is for casual camp chores--I didn't need to use it this way, but I imagine it would have been useful in that role. In addition, I think it would be very handy in direct sun, but the West Rim Trail is almost entirely shaded, so I didn't get to test that aspect.

Worth it overall? I dunno. I do know I'm more willing to hit the day hike trail with it than I would with just regular rain gear. . . .
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've used one a few times and liked it, but I don't always bring it. Not sure why not? Feeling a little more inspired after watching the video. For the times I have used it, it worked well in a few different ways.

On and off rain leaves you in a predicament. Will it keep raining or will it stop. Sometimes you are already wet before you finally stop and put on rain gear. Then if it's warm out sweating occurs. It is one reason I switched to Frogg Toggs. Any other rain coat doesn't breath enough for me in warm to mild conditions. It can also help in a major downpour having two lines of defense. Rain always seems to find a way in.

Another good use was up in the mountains as a wind block. When a cool wind was blowing I had the umbrella up in front of my body, not above. I didn't have to put another layer on to keep my chest warm. Again it kept me from overheating on my back.

Being bald I need a hat. Hats are warm. It is much cooler to use when active. You can learn a lot by watching other cultures. I have seen many Central American women using umbrellas during the heat of the day. Why? Because it works. I also hate putting on sunscreen. My wife, who is very light complected, uses one when we walk at times. We use the GoLite Chrome Dome. They work very well, are durable, and are reasonably priced. I highly recommend them.

So now we can be even stranger. "Look at those crazy people hanging in hammocks, using umbrellas. What will they do next?"
    It may not work in every situation, but they sure help in most.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB/Marmot 0 Bag
    I have backpacked all over the Southern Appalachian Mtns. and never once did I see an umbrella in those woods or trails. As MAD777 said, no where near enough room. Then I went out for a month and half on a NOLS medical and outdoor certification class, and one of the instructors swears that an umbrella and a solid wind breaker soft shell is the cat's meow. All he would talk about during rain storms was his umbrella, I am still not sold on the idea but one day I think I will give it a try, upside is less sweating.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I've made a couple trips with my Chrome Dome, neither of which rained while I was hiking, and both of which I was happy I'd brought it b/c at least a third of the trip was road walk in the Texas summer sun. But I bought it b/c I'd always get just as wet from sweat when wearing my poncho as would have had I just walked in the rain.

I was dubious but then read the article and he makes some good points. I think I'll try it on the next trip.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I just bought a Swing-Trek silver (Chrome Dome without logo). I can see myself enjoying this piece of kit. I'll report back after a few uses.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast