Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
    "Bit of a wind break" indeed _always_ keeping in mind that mylar and flame don't mix😨.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nylon umbrella😱. Hopefully I know which way is upwind and don't need to use a self-adhesive tire patch. Unlike one of my hammocks. Brain fart moment. If there is a good thing about a burn hole in nylons or polyester it's the self seam sealing nature of the damage. Good thing. Depending on type of camping packing either the BushBuddy, 1st gen BackCountry Boiler or alcohol stove. All these stoves burn relatively clean and usually free of exploding cinder. No burn holes in the fleece or outerwear since using these stoves😀.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent
    Tarp
    Rainfree ;)
    Insulation
    I stay warm
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Super interesting article, I definietly wouldn't take an umbrella. A rain jacket always servers me well but this does look like a good solution for those who don't mind caring extra gear.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    FYI when I looked, couple months ago, the European Web page listed a chest harness for the umbrella.
    Two thoughts - this harness would be more useful when your not wearing a backpack, and, it might be just the trick if I'm running around (as I did this last weekend) with 2 DSLRs and switching back and forth. I'll have to revisit the Web page and see if I can glean more info.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I have sent an email to the importer, now in Atlanta, asking for details. Looks like they've added an umbrella with a 2-piece extension handle. The butt can be strapped to a waistbelt and the top section of the handle straps to a shoulder pad for hands-free use. Kinda pricy at $65.00. And an additional $4.50 for silvered mylar but **** sure could have used that Saturday went it was bucket in down where we were.
    Hope they reply in the afirmative.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Ordered harness and umbrella with telescoping handle.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I hike with a Go-Lite umbrella and a rain skirt and I am too old to give a rat's a@$ about what anyone might think about it.

I get made fun of all the time, until it starts raining. Then they try to buy it off me.

The umbrella handle fits under my sternum strap and I tie it to my pack for no hands usage.

Not having to wear rain gear keeps me from sweating when hiking and the umbrella is very useful when around camp.

For example, on my last outing. We had just got the fire rolling when a rain storm blew in. Everyone had to run back to their tents or hammocks for cover, but not me.

I hung out by the fire sitting in my chair under my umbrella. It is also very useful in breaking down camp in the morning if it is raining.

Bottom line, my umbrella is one of my "must have" items on the trail. And it only weighs 8 ounces.

Carl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Dyneema, Silpoly
    Insulation
    HGear, Zpck,WB, EE
    Suspension
    Straps
    I always take an umbrella. Comes in handy when mother nature calls during the night and it's raining.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just hiked the NCT-MRT loop this past weekend in Michigan using an umbrella for the first time. We dealt with rain, snow and wind all weekend. I may never pack rain gear again. Umbrellas rocked.

I saw one in action for the first time back in April in the Smokies. My buddy used one in lieu of rain gear, while I had traditional rain gear. I was dubious, but I must admit it worked very well for him and made me envious. Our hike started in a light rain and I had just my rain jacket on, but as the rain picked up my pants started to get soaked so I had to get my rain pants out. My buddy's umbrella seemed to be keeping him 90% dry including most of his pack. Point: umbrella.

The second night, we were on top of Mt. Sterling and the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. I use my rain gear as an additional layer/wind break to go with my fleece and I was glad to have it, especially my pants. Point: rain gear.

I'm strongly leaning towards getting an umbrella, especially for 3-season hiking. I'm not sure I'll get away from my rain gear when I think I might need it as an insulative layer.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Umbrella or rain gear. Not an all one or the other for me. Personally I lug along a umbrella. Climate conditions determine if I bring full rain gear, just a top or no rain gear. Usually pack a top. More for wind when stopping for a break or at camp. Run hot when moving. Have yet to find a top for above 0*C that I don't run hot in. The top packed is very light, compact old ?Quark. Torso/pit zip, relatively breathable. Still cook in it at "normal" pace. Run cold when not moving unless it's muggy warm.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast