DIY ultralight hammock by Junebug
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Tarp advice needed

Okay so I need a new tarp. Up until now I have been using a cheep PU coated nylon diamond tarp. I want my next tarp to last me over the next couple years until my thru hike of the AT and through that hike. I am so torn as to what to do. I think I want a winter tarp with doors so that when I do my thru I will have complete coverage. Then it leaves the choice of sil vs cubin. Sil in a winter tarp would be heavy but I hear it is more durable and lasting than cubin. Also I could buy TWO sil winter tarps for less than the price if one cubin. I don't know someone push me in one direction or the other please!
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Images
    Since no one thru's the AT in the dead of winter (most chance of heavy snow and the need for a more robust winter tarp) I'd go with Cuben.

Define heavy? I think the last winter tarp I made and sent out weighed 18 oz. I don't know that I would carry a winter tarp on a thru-hike. Hex tarp or an asym and good site selection might be a better option.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Heavy to carry 2100 miles. The cubin from hammock gear is only 6.5 oz, that is so light but I am starting to think maybe the more weight is worth saving myself the money and not having to worry about durability
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'd go with a sil winter tarp for now. Can't go wrong with a superfly - there are others but most of them are heavier.

The cuben would be great for the thru, but perhaps by then you'd just want something minimalistic and get a small cuben.

I think there's a good chance the winter cuben would last as long as you need it to, but why lay out all that dough right now?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'd go with a sil winter tarp for now. Can't go wrong with a superfly - there are others but most of them are heavier.

The cuben would be great for the thru, but perhaps by then you'd just want something minimalistic and get a small cuben.

I think there's a good chance the winter cuben would last as long as you need it to, but why lay out all that dough right now?

Quite true. Thank you.
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Snow isn't going to be an issue while on the AT. I prefer doors on one side as I never used the 2nd set of doors because I needed a place to walk out of the tarp when I use the bathroom at night. It is lighter to carry cuben and I do prefer it myself, however if you want to save some moolah then carrying silnylon is just fine. Campsite selection will help a lot for weather protection as well.

Fronkey

Images
    CUBEN!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    I don't think you will need a winter tarp for the AT. If you decide to go this way, maybe for the early part when it might be colder, just make sure to have a nice light option ready to get sent to you along the way. certainly you will not need full coverage throughout the summer. you'd be better served to drop some tarp weight and have some sort of bug net. good luck, whatever you decide! nice to know that if you change your mind you will always find some hangers here ready to take a tarp off your hands
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Whichever route you go you could just get a door kit to have winter coverage for the first part of the hike then send the doors home when the threat of snow is gone. And for the record cuben is more durable than people tend to think. Not to mention field repairs are easy and durable if you carry some cuben tape.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast