Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I have a Superfly and love it, but if I were doing a thru I'd likely pick up an Edge or Tadpole... The SF is an aircraft hanger and I just can't see myself needing all of that under AT thru circumstances.

I bought the SF, since it was the better all around choice, but some day I'd like a minimalist tarp for fast paced summer trips. If you can afford for the minimalist one to be cuben then you're talking stupid light. That'd be ideal for the AT, I think.

One thing to keep in mind; most anything you buy from our lovely cottage vendors will be worth what you paid as long as you take care of it. You really only stand to lose shipping.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY ultralight hammock by Junebug
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Whichever route you go you could just get a door kit to have winter coverage for the first part of the hike then send the doors home when the threat of snow is gone. And for the record cuben is more durable than people tend to think. Not to mention field repairs are easy and durable if you carry some cuben tape.

Thanks all for your thoughts! I think I may go this route then just send the doors home for summer.
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's what an actual AT thru-hiker used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k
    And now you can get doors for it: http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-DOOR-KIT-TPDK.htm

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    HH- Don't forget to hunt in the used gear forum here, on Whiteblaze, etc...

Hunt...get it? Sometimes I just crack me up
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    you will either buy cuben now.....or you will buy it later in my opinion. The bug for going lighter will eventually bite you. plus you can see the moon at night...ahhhhh

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    HH- Don't forget to hunt in the used gear forum here, on Whiteblaze, etc...

Hunt...get it? Sometimes I just crack me up

Hahah! Hunters the name lol
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    you will either buy cuben now.....or you will buy it later in my opinion. The bug for going lighter will eventually bite you. plus you can see the moon at night...ahhhhh

How durable is cuben in your experience?
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockHunter View Post
    How durable is cuben in your experience?
    I am in Idaho. We get it all: cold, wind, rain. The HG cuben is designed to be an outdoor tarp, used in all conditions. But with all really light weight gear, you just have to be more carefull. I think it really comes down to wind. Doing your best to chose a sight that gives you some wind break sure helps. If not, pitch low and tight and hope for the best. Sil will tear also in crazy conditions. I have pitched mine so close to me that when I am in bed it actually is against my hammock. when the wind blows against it I am actually bracing the tarp with my body in the hammock. Keeps the tie outs from taking on all of the stress. I also put shock chord on the tie outs. this gives some bounce instead of a hard it in the gusts.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Keep in mind that cuben is originally made as sail material. So it is meant to handle wind.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    One thing I learned since I got into hammocking: it's highly unlikely that you will just buy one [enter equipment here] and use it until it wears out. There are simply too many exciting choices, and new equipment comes out every year.

It sounds like you won't be hiking the AT for some time - therefore I would pick a tarp that serves your needs *now*. By the time you're ready to thru-hike, you'll have a much better idea what works for you and what you really need.

I have never hiked longer than 5 days in a row, so I'm not really qualified to give advice. But with my current knowledge, if I were planning a thru-hike in the near future, I would probably go with a summer-sized Cuben tarp like Hammock Gear's hex tarp and a light hammock sock for the colder sections. When I started out hammocking, I thought I would need doors, but since I only use my hammock in the 3 warmer seasons, I never really had a need for it (apart maybe for the privacy - which you won't get with Cuben anyways).

If you do winter camping now, by all means, go with a tarp with integrated doors. The Warbonnet Superfly is a great choice - and it is probably more durable than a Cuben tarp. It's also pretty light for a tarp that size (although I would not take it on a thru-hike). If you do the majority of your hanging in the other 3 seasons, I would go with a tarp of the size of the Mamajamba, which is my personal favourite. It offers plenty of coverage for not much weight and money. And you also have the option of getting some doors for it. If you are a fair weather camper most of the time, an Edge-sized tarp (the Tadpole is in the same category, and is a good choice if you want customization) would be perfect. I used the Edge this summer and fall, and it worked great for me.

If you stick with silnylon for the moment, you could get a Superfly AND an Edge for less than the price of the smallest Cuben tarp - which would serve you well for 4 season camping. And who knows which material will be all the rage by the time you do your thru-hike? Only 2 years ago, Spin was the material of choice for the UL hiker. Now it's Cuben. There'll probably be something new in another 2 years...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast