BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

AT Thru with a BRBH?

Any one ever completed a thru with one of Jacks hammocks? Even through the Whites?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Any one ever completed a thru with one of Jacks hammocks? Even through the Whites?
    Not with a Jack's Hammock but a grand trunk check out trial journals from Loner he Thru-Hiked last year and made lot's of videos there on you tube just type in appalachian trail thru hike loner.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Would that be a Bear RIDGE Bridge Hammock? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm sure that it has been done, or I'm at least very sure that there is no reason it could not be done, especially when its been done by so many other hammocks.

Keep in mind that the the double layer bridges are especially good with a pad - lot easier to use since you're not trying to lay on a diagonal. AND, they make a fine bivy on the ground (when you learn how to use your tarp for ground shelter).

But, really, I know too many folks who've had no problem with a hammock in the whites, or the rest of the AT.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    whites are no problem with hammock. just have to plan a little. i stopped at one hut but don't like WORK for stay while on vacation
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I meant BMBH.....

The Jacks used to have some pictures on their website with the BMBH set up on the ground, but cannot locate them presently. Never been to the Whites, so all I have for a reference are all the pics of being abve tree line. No trees means no hanging. Is it possible to get below tree line on a regular basis, or should I plan on setting up on the ground a time or two. Pictures of a ground set up would be great.

The other question about completing a thru with the BMBH has not been answered. Spending six months in a hammock is a lot of wear and tear. My curiosity was that of the integrity of the seams on such a long trip. Anyone noticed any rips or tears on a prolonged hike. I am absolutely sure if I experience any issues, the Jacks will make them right. Just trying to prepared by knowing what to look for on my 2014 thru hike.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Yeah, I meant BMBH.....

The Jacks used to have some pictures on their website with the BMBH set up on the ground, but cannot locate them presently. Never been to the Whites, so all I have for a reference are all the pics of being abve tree line. No trees means no hanging. Is it possible to get below tree line on a regular basis, or should I plan on setting up on the ground a time or two. Pictures of a ground set up would be great.

The other question about completing a thru with the BMBH has not been answered. Spending six months in a hammock is a lot of wear and tear. My curiosity was that of the integrity of the seams on such a long trip. Anyone noticed any rips or tears on a prolonged hike. I am absolutely sure if I experience any issues, the Jacks will make them right. Just trying to prepared by knowing what to look for on my 2014 thru hike.
    Now that's the burning question I've always had. I had done long distance hikes with an old rope hammock (you can check my profile) and at times I've found it necessary to do a few repairs. The same for a tent. Yes, the wear and tear is greater for long term use. You certainly don't want to get dumped in the middle of the night. Just to be on the safe side, I would have the number of a store that can send something express OR have Ground Control at home send one fast by express mail.. Just make sure that you have nothing like buttons, Velcro, or knives laying on the hammy.

Yes, you can go below tree line. I don't know if this is still going on, but the trails in the White's are patrolled at night by people wearing headlamps. If you get caught you will supposedly get a fine (a big one). DO NOT SLEEP ON OPEN OR BARE ROCK ABOVE TREELINE! Make sure that you are at a designated site. That way they can find your bones. I got caught in a sudden electrical storm, and it is a HARROWING experience. As for ground set-up, I'll leave that to the other experts.

Shug, are you lurking? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by nyhiker50; 01-10-2014 at 12:32.

• + New Posts