DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinheadlodge View Post
    True 2"? You could always fab shorter whoopies, but can't imagine much loss, even if you half the length. Use toggle over carabiner, or lighter carabiner like camp nano 23's.
    No I bought the hennessy straps. They are 1.5" wide, which is plenty wide for me, especially on smaller trees where I can go around twice. I tried making my own out of 1" poly webbing, and they looked great. Trouble is, they stretched, and no matter how tight I pulled the hammock, I always sagged lower than I want. I could buy the HH straps cheaper than I could make my own so I just bought theirs.
    I kind of go back and forth with toggles. I have these 4" aluminum tubes, but I'm just as likely to just use my trekking poles.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ40, HG Inc20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I asked someone to weigh their ropes after removal. As I recall it was 4 oz. So you will save less than 4 oz.

In return you will void the warranty and make it harder to sell should you decide to do so. Then you have to be so in love with whoopees that you will put up with the fiddle factor and add 2 ft or so to the minimum hang length.

You can avoid a lot of the warranty/resale issues by just shortening the hang rope and tying in a loop or descender ring just past the hood over the attachment point. That let's you replace roughly 3 oz of rope with strap or whoopee without messing up the hammock end and SRL attachment points.
    Do you have pictures or a link to how this would be done? I have some a steel blue and descender rings and am thinking about making some whoopie slings and trying them out but I just bought my Hennessy Explorer UL and am not ready to void the warranty and am not sure I'll even like the whoopie slings so would like to attach them temporarily to the existing lines and give it all a try before making any permanent mods to the existing suspension system. Any help for a noob is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Rholford; 03-29-2014 at 13:44.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    With the minimal weight saving, I think I'll just stick to the original suspension. It's never bothered me, I enjoy tying the lashings and such. Never used whoopies, I know they're cool and convenient, but I guess now is not my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rholford View Post
    Do you have pictures or a link to how this would be done?
    There's a thread in the Suspension forum talking about this. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-figure-8-knot

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ40, HG Inc20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mm53bar View Post
    There's a thread in the Suspension forum talking about this. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-figure-8-knot
    Thanks mm53bar!!! Much appreciated!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Just re visited this thread.

One of the earliest posts I remember after I started reading the forum was about somebody who had converted a Hennessy and ripped out the web between the two punched holes. Obviously the conversion was done incorrectly. The discussion around it was sensitizing though.

Do folks get warranty claims on Hennessy hammocks? Tom has a reputation for doing warranty replacements so someone did some claims for him to get the reputation.

The point is that once one opens the hood and removes the stock suspension damage can occur. Replacing two wraps of 1/4 inch line with two wraps of 7/64 line changes the load/unit area. It also messes with the ridge line attachment. The latter might be more significant. Modifications are grounds for voiding the warranty. Will Hennessy void a warranty claim or bad zipper stitching because the ropes were changed? Probably depends on somebody's mood for the day. Will they void for something related to suspension damage or a stretched bug net? They would be crazy not to. Why take a chance when one can leave things under the hood alone? All it takes is cutting back to just past the hood and putting in the water break needed anyway. Tie a loop or hitch in a ring. Use anything you want from that point.

Part of the weight savings is dependent on whether one has the stock 1/4 inch rope or the lighter spectra on the UL models. Either way it is not much. OTOH switching to whoopee slings add about a foot at each end for the bury. Going to straps with buckles or paired rings and a garda hitch is significantly shorter. Use a biner or dutch clip at the tree and one never needs to detach the suspension parts so folks like me do not leave their tree straps at the last camp site. YMMV.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Thanks nothermark. You must feel like a broken record because I've read you giving the same good advice in multiple posts. The lure of the whoopie is mighty.

I've taken your advice with my Hennessy and haven't changed the stock rope. That said, the warranty against "defects in material and workmanship" only lasts for one year. My warranty is up in August so I'll probably look at swapping to a continuous loop at that point.

In the meantime, I like your idea of simply hitching to a ring or tying a loop. It gives the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I changed my HH hyperlite's suspension to whoopies. It didn't reduce the weight by much...only about an ounce. It is easier to adjust, though.

On the other hand, I also changed the suspension on my Kammok Roo to whoopies (instead of their stock python straps & carabiners), and that saved over half a pound! The HH Hyperlite's suspension is already hyperlite, though.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mm53bar View Post
    Thanks nothermark. You must feel like a broken record because I've read you giving the same good advice in multiple posts. The lure of the whoopie is mighty.

I've taken your advice with my Hennessy and haven't changed the stock rope. That said, the warranty against "defects in material and workmanship" only lasts for one year. My warranty is up in August so I'll probably look at swapping to a continuous loop at that point.

In the meantime, I like your idea of simply hitching to a ring or tying a loop. It gives the best of both worlds.
    Sometimes I do feel like a broken record! ;-)) If you go to the continuous look wrap it enough times to duplicate the length of the Hennessy wraps to get approximately the same area coverage.

FWIW I still think adding the rings is the better option. Clove hitch and a half hitch keeper is the best knot as most of the force is trying to cut the aluminum ring instead of another piece of rope. Ring diameter is also a couple times the rope diameter in a place where it counts. Once the ring is there one has a water break and can add any suspension one wants to play with. I think folks should try as many different suspensions (or a lot of other things) as they want to. Just don't do things in a way that commits one to a particular direction.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    i dont have one
    Tarp
    none
    Insulation
    none
    Suspension
    none
    i have a hh explorer deluxe zip i changed to whoopies with 10" continuous loops with dutch biners and went to 6 ft. long 1" tree straps with dutch buckle for a 6 oz savings on weight and the ease of set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast