Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Blackbird Ridgline question

I'm a complete newbie to hammocking. Since recently joining HF and scouring the very informative posts here, I've pretty much decided to go straight to a Warbonnet Blackbird.

I do have a question however concerning the structural ridgeline. I understand the concept and like it as this takes some of the guesswork out of getting the tension exactly right each and every time it's hung.

My question: Is the structural ridgeline adjustable by the end user or is it set at the "factory"? I am over 6' tall and I believe that the optimum ridgeline length for me would different than my 5'-2" wife. Assuming that the ridgeline is adjustable, how difficult is this task?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The Blackbird ridgeline isn't meant to be adjustable.

What you're going to find is that the 'default' setting of it allows the fabric to open completely flat when laying on the 'footbox diagonal'. As long as that diagonal length is longer than you are tall, it will fit you nicely.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'm in the process of getting my BB now. My only other hammock experience is my Claytor JH with no ridgeline. So with the BB I just cinch up the straps and she's good to go? Dumb question, I know....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I'm in the process of getting my BB now. My only other hammock experience is my Claytor JH with no ridgeline. So with the BB I just cinch up the straps and she's good to go? Dumb question, I know....
    Well yes, but do take a little more care than that.

- When you choose your trees, wrap the straps high on the trees. The longer then distance between the trees, the higher you want to hang them. This will prevent the hammock sagging too much when occupied, it will lower the tension on the ridgeline, and ultimately make for a more comfortable hang.

- After the straps are connected to the trees, pull the webbing taut through the tri-rings, but just enough that the sag is removed from the ridgeline. More tension isn't needed.

- Be sure to back the tri-rings up with a slippery half hitch in the webbing. Safety first.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    - Be sure to back the tri-rings up with a slippery half hitch in the webbing. Safety first.
    You will be tempted to disregard this nugget of wisdom, but do not forget the back-up knot! The tri-rings held with no back-up for a long time for me. Then one day, slide-boom; butt to ground. They seem to grip very well at first, but loosen over time. Do not be fooled by them, they are sneaky little devils.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's pretty easy to figure out what you need to do to get the ridgeline tension set right. The real key I have found is regardless of how far apart the trees are you want to have the webbing coming down at about a 30 degree angle. The farther apart the trees are the higher you need to hang the webbing on the tree to achieve that 30 degree angle otherwise the ridgeline will be tight like a guitar string. Last weekend my trees were pretty far apart particularly on the foot end so I had to set the straps pretty high to avoid a tight ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for the ridgeline information! Looks like there is a Blackbird in my future!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    For me, the issue seems to be wanting to get the ridgeline tighter than it should (same for my HH as for my BB). I tend to leave quite a bit of sag, enough so that when I'm in my BB, the ridge line is "relaxed taut" Hard to describe; no sag, but definitely way less than quitar-string taut. In my HH, the ridgeline will be tighter, close to washtub-bass taut. When set up a little on the loose side, I find things more comfortable. YMMV.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I guess I've not really experimented with laying in the hammock with the ridgeline tension set either real tight or real loose. I usually have mine set so that ridgeline doesn't have any sag or slack to it when laying in the hammock but at the same time it's not overly tight. For me that seems to be the best way to have it set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast