Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My Differential Karo Step Underquilt

So recently I bought two pounds of 800 FP down to use in a couple of quilt projects. Actually it wasn’t recently; it was last year. I had intended to get started on making an underquilt to match the top quilt I made https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=65593. Needless to say, things got in the way and I kept putting off the project.

Until now!

For Christmas, my wife gave me several fantastic presents.
    Present number one - a Sonicare toothbrush. When used with Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, you get that fresh from the dentist clean feeling.

Present number two - the last two books from The Wheel of Time. I don’t get much time to read but I really enjoy it. The Wheel of Time is a GREAT series and I was really looking forward to finishing it up.

Present number three - time. I have been sitting on all this down (courtesy of Paul at Arrowhead Equipment) and fabric from DIY Gear Supply for about a year or so. She knew I had really been wanting to work on some hammock gear; so while I was on vacation, my wife let me take the time to work on the quilt.

The quilt was initially supposed to be a full length quilt but I was limited to the fabric remaining from my top quilt. I didn’t realize how much I would need when I placed my order, but I made the best of what I had. Here are the specifics of the quilt.

The inner shell is 60 inches long with 1/2 inch seam allowance and 46 inches wide plus 1/2 inch seam allowance. Starting 7 inches from the center out it tapers down to 35.5 inches at both the head and the foot end.The outer shell is 56 ½ inches plus ½ inch seam allowance. The outer shell also tapers down by 10 ½ inches but it starts tapering 8 inches out from the center. I based the dimensions for the quilt on a circle with a 29 inch diameter. I wanted the quilt to have about a 3 inch loft so the outer shell is based on a circle with a 32 inch diameter.

The baffle walls are constructed from nano-see-um and measure 3 inches by 8 inches. This gives a full baffle height of 2 ½ inches.The baffle walls are attached to the outer shell 14 inches on center giving me 8 inch walls in line 6 inches apart. The baffle walls are then attached to the inner shell at the same interval from head to toe, but the side to side interval is at 12 ¾ inches with the side to side walls darted down to 7 ¼ inches to help keep the side to side curve of the quilt. If you are looking at a crosscut of the quilt, the head to toe baffle walls look like the spokes on a bicycle.

I wasn’t able to get any video while I was making the quilt but I did get some video while I was stuffing the underquilt. The first method shown utilizes a shop vac. This method is fairly clean (comparatively) but is relatively slow. The second method involves diving in and grabbing as much down as possible and stuffing it into the quilt. This requires a large enough opening for a fistful of down.

I was also able to get some video of sewing the quilt shut. The hardest part about sewing the quilt shut was to put all the pins in place without letting the down escape.

Here are some images of the process (click on the images to see some higher res and larger images).

Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice work....baffles like that seem intimidating...
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    CW,

I really appreciate your videos! The time you put into them helps folks.

Can't wait to look into this one further later this weekend.

Everything I've ever been taught about sewing is that sewing with pins in place is a no-no. Doesn't seem like it was much of a problem for you, but Im constantly beat over the head that this will break the machine.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Nice work....baffles like that seem intimidating...
    Thanks. I felt the same way about the short baffles when I did my karo step top quilt. I really like this style because I don't have to worry about weighing out for individual baffles. My biggest worry was about shaping the quilt with darts and differential cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    CW,

I really appreciate your videos! The time you put into them helps folks.

Can't wait to look into this one further later this weekend.
    Thanks so much. I always feel like I'm missing something or over thinking things when I am making the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Everything I've ever been taught about sewing is that sewing with pins in place is a no-no. Doesn't seem like it was much of a problem for you, but Im constantly beat over the head that this will break the machine.
    Hammonkey, I taught myself how to sew so I didn't have anyone telling me not to sew over my pins. I have broken a needle by hitting a pin so now I try not to use pins at all. When using pins, I try to watch and see where the the needle is going to hit and make sure it won't hit a pin.

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

Images
    Hope to try doing this soon.

Oh and +1 on The Wheel of Time. I had been reading and re-reading it for 19 years when the final book came out. Sanderson did a great job of finishing for Jordan.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Hope to try doing this soon.

Oh and +1 on The Wheel of Time. I had been reading and re-reading it for 19 years when the final book came out. Sanderson did a great job of finishing for Jordan.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with when you do your quilt. I love seeing other people's work.

I agree. Loving The Wheel of Time. I can't wait to finish it up.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Man that's really cool! Nice work man.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Man that's really cool! Nice work man.
    Thanks Redoleary! I was really good to get back to making some gear. I really missed it.

I appreciate the kind words . Especially from someone with your skill at gear making.

Thanks for sharing your creations, they are fantastic looking quilts, you have a great talent.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast