Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    Can you link to the thread with your quilts or post some pictures here so I and others can get a different perspective on how these quilts are made?
    Here are some pics of my first one. I consider it my 0-degree UQ. It's a bit longer and wider than my second one (my "20-degree" one) and has 3" baffles (second one has 2" baffles). I cannibalized an old, inherited Holubar sleeping bag for the down in this one.

The first pic is the dimensions for the inside fabric (if I recall correctly).

You see blue painters tape in these second purple pic. I taped the baffles (removed later). That's how I kept some structure to work with the mesh baffle material. I also added a pic of the "Wonder Tape" that I like so much.

The black fabric is the outside. It is marked for all the darts I sewed into it. Same for inside (purple) fabric, though I don't have a photo of it. Of course, I had to offset the outside fabric darts from the inside fabric darts, as it is differential cut.

The first purple pic is with the baffles, but this is the side that touches the hammock, so the baffles are underneath.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 01-27-2014 at 21:20.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great looking work rainman. Your mains look great. How do yo get the marks to be so sharp and crisp and straight? My fabric had a tendency to shift or wrinkle when marking.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

The inner shell is 60 inches long with 1/2 inch seam allowance and 46 inches wide plus 1/2 inch seam allowance. Starting 7 inches from the center out it tapers down to 35.5 inches at both the head and the foot end.The outer shell is 56 ½ inches plus ½ inch seam allowance. The outer shell also tapers down by 10 ½ inches but it starts tapering 8 inches out from the center. I based the dimensions for the quilt on a circle with a 29 inch diameter. I wanted the quilt to have about a 3 inch loft so the outer shell is based on a circle with a 32 inch diameter.
    Why is the inner shell bigger? Isnt the outer shell supposed to be bigger?

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
    Why is the inner shell bigger? Isnt the outer shell supposed to be bigger?
    Probably because I had a transcription error. All longer/wider measurements are for the outer shell. Thanks for catching this. I've always said I need a proof reader.

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Here are some pics of my first one. I consider it my 0-degree UQ. It's a bit longer and wider than my second one (my "20-degree" one) and has 3" baffles (second one has 2" baffles). I cannibalized an old, inherited Holubar sleeping bag for the down in this one.

The first pic is the dimensions for the inside fabric (if I recall correctly).

You see blue painters tape in these second purple pic. I taped the baffles (removed later). That's how I kept some structure to work with the mesh baffle material. I also added a pic of the "Wonder Tape" that I like so much.

The black fabric is the outside. It is marked for all the darts I sewed into it. Same for inside (purple) fabric, though I don't have a photo of it. Of course, I had to offset the outside fabric darts from the inside fabric darts, as it is differential cut.

The first purple pic is with the baffles, but this is the side that touches the hammock, so the baffles are underneath.

Rain Man

Rainman,

I learned two things from your diy underquilt.

Ingenious to have the down pre weighed, wet it and stuff. I bet that worked awesome!!!!!

Then the wonder tape!!!!! Oh how I loath pinning material!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing those details!!

CW,

Thanks so much for all the videos....they are very informative and I learn each time I watch from people on HF!!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I noticed in rainman pics that you darted your fabric similar to the way I did my IX underquilt based on DIYgearsupply guide. But CW just cut the fabric to the shape. Was just wondering if that makes a big difference?

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
    I noticed in rainman pics that you darted your fabric similar to the way I did my IX underquilt based on DIYgearsupply guide. But CW just cut the fabric to the shape. Was just wondering if that makes a big difference?
    Actually I darted mine as well. I came in with several (can't remember exact number 3 -5 total). I think each dart was 2.5 inches by 18 inches or so. I did not use the side darts though and I just realized that is probably what you are referring to. Doh!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Actually I darted mine as well. I came in with several (can't remember exact number 3 -5 total). I think each dart was 2.5 inches by 18 inches or so. I did not use the side darts though and I just realized that is probably what you are referring to. Doh!
    Haha yes I was. So you darted the head and foot end but the sides you just cut a curve?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Oh wait nvm its the darts at the head and foot end that make the sides curve correct?

Hammock
    HamelinHammock
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!
    DCKS UQ - Inner w baffles.jpg

DCKS UQ Outer w baffles.jpg

DCKS UQ Inner darts.jpg

Hello everybody!

About to embark on a replica of this quilt. Exactly what I have been looking for. I will be doing it as a 2" high quilt, though, with 250g 860 down. I recently completed a traditional down UQ with longitudinal baffles, but like the concept of putting all my down in at once.

I appreciate all the tips mentioned, CW, especially the darting of the side to side baffles. I will be trying to sketch out the placement of the baffle walls, but I don't exactly understand how you came up with the placement. Any chance you can sketch it out for us?

This is my attempt, the UQ is a bit longer than yours, so I had to make 12 boxes instead of 9, and adjusted the measurements slightly.

First pic is the inner shell with baffles, after the darts. The second is the outer shell, baffles and darted. Third pic is the measurements for the darts on the inner shell.
    Last edited by Swede2378; 06-10-2014 at 17:09.
    My Swedish/English YouTube channel:

HamelinHammocks

Our Facebook page:
    @hamelinhammocks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123