Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops

Suspension: 1 1/2 or 2 inch cinch buckles??

Currently use I use whoopies with a carbiner marlin spiked to the tree strap. I've been wanting to try cinch buckles as it just seems a little more adjustable and simplistic. With the growing push by Parks and Rangers to go to larger straps, does anyone know where you can get 1 1/2 or 2 inch cinch buckles?
    Is the only viable option for wider straps a set of rings??
    Bill

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you will be hard pressed to get rings or buckles for 2 inch, maybe for 1-1/2 inch. I would be more inclined to see if Gary at readystrap wouild sew up a set of straps with 2 in for a couple of feet and whatever 1 inch for the rest. 1 inch is ample or the hammock to tree and has hardware available. The problem will be guessing how long to make the 2 inch section. Depends on local conditions though you can do multiple wraps on a smaller tree.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    ... With the growing push by Parks and Rangers to go to larger strap...
    Is there actually a push for larger straps, or did we simply have a thread discussing the possibility?

1.75" cinch buckles are available in several styles, but the availabilty of 1.75" polyester webbing seems to be limited.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 01-10-2014 at 20:11.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    a lot of tactical places sell "Riggers belts" that have the same buckles you're looking for in 1 1/2, you could try Ebay or DIY-Tactical.... or you could buy those riggers belts and take a knife to them...or use them as small suspension loops between your whoopies and the tree straps....

here is what a steel buckled Rigger's Belt looks like; rated for lots of weight and is meant to supplement a rappelling harness; the triangle part is for clipping something to a rope, or for rope itself, on others, the triangle is a separate piece sewn into the webbing 2-3 inches away from the buckle itself. you could in theory use that point to mount your ridgeline, which would in effect fix your length....

and here is what "Riggers Belt" sold in most places look like, not rated for climbing, BUT can hold a lot of weight; it's properly known as a BDU Tactical belt.... aluminum cinch buckle, much like what you are looking for, if not the same. to make it easier to thread, cut off the velcro strip on the webbing..I did the same on my personal belt and it made it so much easier to put on.

Last edited by CamoDeafie82; 01-10-2014 at 20:10.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You could just use a slippery half hitch.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Is there actually a push for larger straps, or did we simply have a thread discussing the possibility?

1.75" cinch buckles are available in several styles, but the availabilty of 1.75" polyester webbing seems to be limited.

I have a roughly 16ft length of heavy duty cargo strap that is 1.75", but I think it may be too much for the cinch buckles I think its polyester, maybe nylon but there is absolutely NO STRETCH.... that I could feel with my human strength...not sure if I'd want to test it with a car
    like THIS.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think you will be hard pressed to get rings or buckles for 2 inch, maybe for 1-1/2 inch. I would be more inclined to see if Gary at readystrap would sew up a set of straps with 2 in for a couple of feet and whatever 1 inch for the rest. 1 inch is ample or the hammock to tree and has hardware available. The problem will be guessing how long to make the 2 inch section. Depends on local conditions though you can do multiple wraps on a smaller tree.
    I've been working with Gary on this. The first set I asked him to make were 7 feet of 1" camo 1,500 lb poly strapping sewn to 6 feet of 10,000 lb black 2" webbing with a sewn loop on the end. Bought a couple of his Quickdraws which I attached to my hammock with short continuous loops of 1/8" amsteel.

This setup works great but each strap weighs better part of a pound!

He is now working on some more for me with the same 7 ft 1" camo straps sewn to 5 feet of 2" seat belt material with a loop on the end. He doesn't stock the seat belt material so he has to order some. I'll report back on those when I get them in a week or so.

I have hopes that this will provide a reasonable solution for those of us who use straps and buckles. For the whoopie sling folks, 3 feet of seat belt material ending in a loop on one end and sewn to a 3 or 4 foot length of 1" webbing should provide LNT protection of the tree.

Heavier than 1" straps alone? Of course but . .

Anyone else have any ideas?

Pappy

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I've been working with Gary on this. The first set I asked him to make were 7 feet of 1" camo 1,500 lb poly strapping sewn to 6 feet of 10,000 lb black 2" webbing with a sewn loop on the end. Bought a couple of his Quickdraws which I attached to my hammock with short continuous loops of 1/8" amsteel.

This setup works great but each strap weighs better part of a pound!

He is now working on some more for me with the same 7 ft 1" camo straps sewn to 5 feet of 2" seat belt material with a loop on the end. He doesn't stock the seat belt material so he has to order some. I'll report back on those when I get them in a week or so.

I have hopes that this will provide a reasonable solution for those of us who use straps and buckles. For the whoopie sling folks, 3 feet of seat belt material ending in a loop on one end and sewn to a 3 or 4 foot length of 1" webbing should provide LNT protection of the tree.

Heavier than 1" straps alone? Of course but . .

Anyone else have any ideas?

Pappy
    Yes, let us know how that works out. I was thinking about sewing 16 inch or so sleeves out of 1 1/2 or 2 inch and then running my 1 inch straps through that. I think Grand Trunk does something similar with their rope type tree straps. Your idea uses a single layer and is likely to be lighter than my idea, although sleeves would give you several options.

Sounds like cinch buckles in that size would be difficult to find and likely heavy unless Dutch makes them out of titanium in the future.
    Bill

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have a pair of 2 inch seat belt straps about 3 ft long that came with my Hennessy. Sewn loops on both ends. I do not recall them being heavy but they are not handy right now so I cannot weigh them. It seems they could work well with 1 inch straps by interlocking the loops and going to 1 inch hardware at the hammock. If one is introducing hardware into the mix I would not bother with whoopee slings as they do not save much weight compared to 1 in strap for a few feet.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    ...heavier than 1" straps alone? Of course but . .

Anyone else have any ideas?...
    Use 2" polypropylene webbing (instead of polyester) for the 2" section of a composite tree strap. It is considerably lighter and has an 1800 lb rating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast