Waterproof or not?

I'm sure this subject has been posted many time in the past here but I don't want to sort through all the threads just yet. Just became a member a few days ago.
    I have probably 200+ yds of ripstop material in different weights from 3/4 oz to 2 oz and most of this is all waterproof or non-breathable material. (I manufacture kite's or at least did!) Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using one over the other. I would think the waterproof material would sweat and wick into the sleeping bag.
    Ripstop nylon also stretches quite a bit. Has anyone used 1.5 oz to 2 oz Dacron from sails? I would think this material would be great for hammocks?

Sorry if I'm re-hashing old posts?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, this has been covered a lot of times. The general consensus is that you do not want a non-breathable hammock body. In really cold weather (sub-freezing), you might get away with it, though.

BTW - welcome to the forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I do use my ATHH in the winter and it is water proof. If your going to sleep on a pad I don't see the harm or advantage. In any case the trick is not to sweat.

I am interested in this dacron material. Where do you get it and how wide is it? If it is for sails, you would think it is pretty wide. Do you have a link?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Dutch
    I don't have a source other than any sail maker would carry it. I would try Googling it and see what comes up. It would come in either 48" or 60" standard widths.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    According to this web site, Dacron is polyester.

Dacron has been used for a long time now for covering aircraft. As used there, the fabric is stretched over the frame and then glued or stitched in place. Then heat is applied to shrink the fabric drum tight on the frame.

Don't know if the Dacron as used for sails is heat shrinkable, but as used for aircraft you apply about 400*F to shrink.

I've used some of the heat shrink fabric used for aircraft. Don't know if what I used was Dacron, but the stuff I used was extremely sensitive to UV and had to be painted with an AL paint or it would literally shred in sunlight within a week or less. So probably not Dacron - sails are exposed all the time.

Anyway if you buy the sailmakers Dacron or the Aircraft Dacron, you will be paying a premium for the quality necessary. And for the certification needed for aircraft use.

• + New Posts