Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Are you going to be at elevation? When I check weather I can assume at least five degrees cooler where I'm actually hiking.

Like OutandBack said, you need a bail option, or you need to bulk up your gear a good bit. Two CCF pads from WM and a good bag are going to be the minimum, I think.
    That's good advice, I just don't know what's needed for the temperature. Elevation will be under 2k ft.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    As said, CCF pads are cheap ($7 at WM) so grab two... I use one as is, and use a second I cut into a number of pieces (torso size, and three seat pad size) I can use as needed. You'll want the torso sized one forming a 'T' shape with the full length one so your shoulders are totally wrapped.
    This is $14 at WM and will get you to those temps easily, for under insulation anyway. On top you will need either a bag rated for the temps, or just a huge pile of blankets. Since you're close to the car you could just bring three or four heavy blankets and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    That's good advice, I just don't know what's needed for the temperature. Elevation will be under 2k ft.
    I'm almost always under 2k as well, but that is still above any weather stations so forecasts are off... I'd plan for a good bit lower than the forecast just in case.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Agreed, thank you

I'm going to see what I can gather today and I'll check back here to see what everyone thinks. When I get back I'll start looking into an underquilt.

To add: I'm South African from the coast and moved to Houston... I have very little experience in cold weather camping. Nothing under 35F, and that was tent camping.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    If you get CCF you'll want to lay down and determine where to cut to give you shoulder coverage, in a T formation with the full length one. I cut mine so that it wraps a bit around each shoulder, since the hammock will as well. Then I cut the remainder into the three sit pads. Last week I ended up with one sit pad under my butt, one under my feet, and one under the tops of my shoulders (so a portion of my shoulders actually had three pads under it). Usually I just keep those on hand and add them as I feel cold spots.

With those pads, and confidence in your clothing, I think you can be confident. Of course you'll want good top insulation, but that's easier to accomplish than trying to fudge under insulation.

Worst comes to worse, those pads will work on the ground. If you really can't get warm, you could drop to the ground and likely be a little warmer. Of course if that doesn't work, head to the car. I highly doubt it will come to that though.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I might have missed someone else mentioning this, but I always carry a Stainless Steel water bottle to use as a hot water bottle (with a tight seal on the top, not the flip open to drink tops). Great simple safe way to boost your insulation for unexpected cold.
    Just prior to turning in for the night boil some water over the fire - fill/seal the bottle - put it in 2 layers of heavy sock or a towel wrap and put it in your sleeping bag.
    Best uses are to pre- warm sleeping bag, warm feet, and keep on the back of your thighs for all night heat. Remove sock/towel layers as needed during the night - save that last layer for the wee hours of morning. Once you try it you'll be sold:>)
    About $5 at Wal-Mart - make sure it has the big 'O-ring' seal. - You want to test at home for leaks and some folks put it in a plastic bag as a double leak protection.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You have to take wind into consideration in a hammock because the wind all around you will rob heat wherever it can. 23*F is dangerously cold with the wrong insulation but even worse when you add wind.

Make sure you hang out of the wind or have a large enough tarp to stop the wind under the tarp(pitch low to ground).

Also, you can use a large cotton sheet, queen or larger, to use as a winter sock. Wrap around your entire hammock rig and close off with safety pins or binder clips or whathaveyou. If you can, sew it at home in advance and leave an opening you can close in the field. It will increase your microclimate temps and cut down on the wind, if any.

Good luck and make sure your checking on your friends thruout the night and viceversa.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Here's my update on how it went (doing it again in 8 weeks).

I had the following.

Sleep system.
    - Cheap Wally World sleeping bag (the one recommended, maybe 30F?)
    - Fleece blanket (between CCF and sleeping bag, it bunched.)
    - CCF Pads, cut and rolled for my size.
    - ENO Double Nest.
    - ENO Rain Fly.

Clothes.
    - Smartwool heavy base layer (up and down.)
    - 2x Smartwool hiking socks.
    - Nike exercise (thick) pants.
    - Convertible pants (wind/sticker break).
    - Fleece top.
    - Down top.
    - Fleece balaclava.
    - Synthetic beanie.

Result? I survived.

- First night was the hardest as my feet were really cold and took about 2 hours to recover the next morning. Now I know that instead of lighting a fire and waiting for heat I just need to walk for 15 minutes instead and my feet will be back to normal. Problem? Insulation didn't really help my feet, clothes (with insulation beneath me) kept my body warm enough that I didn't shiver, but I was cold. Wind was a secondary problem.
    - Second and third nights: Wind kept me cold, making fire with cold hands is hard! Feet were not warm enough again. I did use a hot water bottle and "hot hands." The hot hands were too warm and burnt, the water bottle was a very good idea, but was plastic so I think didn't last too long.

In summary:
    - I need an underquilt.
    - I may need a larger rainfly for wind protection.
    - I need better mid layer thick pants that are comfortable to sleep in.

The weather we're expecting will be colder.

We did have the car (and others cars) pretty close by. I did have an extra sleeping bag in it that I didn't use and some flannel sheets. I didn't want to lug them around.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thankyou for the update - clearly you did the correct thing by asking here
    and you obviously made the choice between the multi trips to the car vs being cosy warm - i dunno the terrain you were on so i can comment on this.
    and you survived - and have lots of fun stuff to start saving for.
    GL happy hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast