Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cold weather noobie

Hey all,

I've been on hammock camping trips a total of one time. It was about 105F in the Texas hillcountry and I was well prepared. My water did get warm, but that was about my only problem. The ventilation in the hammock kept me pretty comfortable.

Now, in a week I'm heading to the Ozarks, the lows look to be between 28F and 36F. My clothing will be warm, but what about when I'm in the hammock?

I have an ENO hammock with rainfly and bug net. I do not have under/over quilts. I have a cheap $30 sleeping bag that doesn't really keep me warm in anything under 50F.

Suggestions?

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS!! wearing your clothes to bed will help. Eat before bed to help keep your metabolism up. Pee when you have to pee (as bad as it is getting out)

I wouldn't bother with the bug net, however, it could help keep things from falling out of the hammock

Bring the cheap sleeping bag, and maybe buy another cheap one. If you used them both, you could layer the bags to increase warmth. Quilts/blankets from home will work well too.

You will need some sort of bottom insulation too. Don't be fooled into getting 'into' the bag and then into the hammock with nothing else below you. wool blankets work well too below you, but a blue CCF pad from wally world will be the best bang for you buck.

Just as you would layer your body, layer the hammock, above and below for best results. Good luck! Have fun! post back with your results
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You can't fool mother nature. You're gonna be miserable if you don't get some more insulation. As Shellhammock said, at a minimum you need to get a ccf pad for underneath. If you're car camping (or hiking with a really big pack), you can supplement the cheapo sleeping bag with wool and fleece blankets.

Before I got an underquilt, I had some luck taping a wool blanket to a ccf pad (if you don't tape it, it will just bunch up underneath you). The wool will absorb the inevitable condensation you're gonna get 'cause the pad doesn't breathe.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    As said, CCF pads are cheap ($7 at WM) so grab two... I use one as is, and use a second I cut into a number of pieces (torso size, and three seat pad size) I can use as needed. You'll want the torso sized one forming a 'T' shape with the full length one so your shoulders are totally wrapped. Again as said, you'll need more insulation on top as well. This can be extra clothes, blankets, whatever.

Trust me I'm into the whole budget gear for cold temp game, but you are gonna have the worst night of your life if you try what you have listed, possibly even risk hypothermia. Buy the pads and I'd say you won't risk hypothermia, but still might be miserable. Pads and an extra heavy blanket and I'd say you'll be warm.

If temps happen to go below what you list, which should be expected if you'll be at elevation, then it gets tougher. I recently hit 4 degrees comfortably with the two pads I mentioned... But I had a 15 degree sleeping bag, a down jacket, and a down vest all piled on top of me.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'll look into this.

I wasn't meaning to say that I need to spend as little as possible. I just do most of my camping when it's not cold. Suggestions beyond really low budget are also welcome

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you plan to do more cold weather camping and have the budget then invest in an underquilt. If not then pads will do just fine, just get a wide pad or add some wings to cover your shoulders otherwise you won't be happy. Layers won't be enough to extend your bag, get a better bag. Do some research on cold weather camping, camping in the cold unprepared could be the last mistake you ever make.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    A hammock sock will add a good bit of warmth as well.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Get the Walmart down bag and a CCF pad. Use both sleeping bags as a TQ and lay on the pad. That may be enough.

Should I put anything between me and the CCF? Won't sweat be a problem?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    At the 2nd Annual Florida Hang a few years back, I used a walmart 60*bag or whatever their least expensive bag is rated to. It is the rectangular one.

I put my hammock inside as a peapod setup. The suspension line came out the end where a small gap is at the end of the zipper for the footend and my jacket covered the open bag end to close it off.

Inside the hammock, I had a Walmart pad and using a light to midweight fleece travel blanket. That was the insulation and without a tarp. Luckily there was no wind.

For clothing, top, I had a beanie hat, thermal long sleeve underwear,cotton short sleeve t, long sleeve shirt, heavy hoodie with hood over my hat and wearing my glasses. For bottoms, long thermal underwear, shorts, sweatpants and pair of dress socks (as sock liners) and thick cotton socks.

The temp got down to 25*F and I was just warm enough with only my feet getting cold.

Adding a pad will help you underneath and your bag can work like a TQ or Peapod. Just make sure you have adequate layers for the weather your in and based on your insulation or get upgraded gear like a TQ/UQ and keep your layers simpler.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast