Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies

Help Planning - Vancouver, BC -> South Oregon, by car

Hi Everyone,

This may be a little long of an explanation, but I think knowing our situation may help the discussion...

I've starting looking into planning a trip for this summer down through Washington and Oregon, to visit the Oregon Caves, and enjoy the Oregon Coast.

We have had a very tough year, as my wife is only now getting back to work after a year off, without income, due to injury. As a result, I haven't had much of a break myself, trying to keep up on all the bills, so we are trying to get a solid vacation, but really need to watch the money aspect.

I'm still a noob on the hammocking aspects, and would only consider myself 'average' at camping, but I'm not afraid to do some 'dispersed' camping'.

We will primarily only be at any site for one or two nights, and will have the car with us.

My wife is even more of a noob than myself, so we may spend a night here or there in a motel, but having a flush toilet and shower once in a while may lower that requirement.

I haven't driven this route as an adult, so I don't know any of the areas south of Seattle. (I haven't been in Oregon for about 25 years)

From what I have been able to read on the Forest Services/BLM/Parks websites, it appears that there are lots of options for sites, but of the 'developed' sites, many appear to lack appropriate tree positioning.

I'm hoping the community has some suggestions for places to Visit (Besides the caves), and Sites/areas to camp at.

Thanks in Advance!

Cheers,
    Sunk

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i can't speak much to washington, but Sullivan's guide to the Oregon coast book is about all you'll need IMHO.

i've had luck finding camp sites in FS/SP campground for hanging the hammock. its been my experience that dispersed sites are harder to come by, as the coast has been developed with the RV'er in mind. *sullivan will point out the options though the yurts are nice, too

don't miss:

cape blanco,
    a hike along the rogue near paradise lodge,
    yachats and cape perpetua (eat at Luna Sea)
    hobbit trail

have fun! happy trails.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Thanks!

I've ordered his book, and a couple of similar ones, since they were cheap.

I'm not sure if we will be doing the coast in both directions, or possibly take a more inland route one way. May be able to get away from people afterall!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i can't speak much to washington, but Sullivan's guide to the Oregon coast book is about all you'll need IMHO.

i've had luck finding camp sites in FS/SP campground for hanging the hammock. its been my experience that dispersed sites are harder to come by, as the coast has been developed with the RV'er in mind. *sullivan will point out the options though the yurts are nice, too

don't miss:

cape blanco,
    a hike along the rogue near paradise lodge,
    yachats and cape perpetua (eat at Luna Sea)
    hobbit trail

have fun! happy trails.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    There are places, I know people who have been on many trips along both the Oregon and Washington coasts and managed to use there hammocks. But I think they did some hiking.. I bet many of the car camping sites could hold a hammock pretty easily if there not filled.

It would take a bit of research to figure out a good plan but I think its doable.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    If you're doing car camping it would be very worthwhile to invest in building a couple of stands (either 1 end or double ended) that can be packed in the vehicle for the many, many times that you'll find yourself short at least 1 tree to hang from.

I recently did a 3 week trip, albeit not in BC/Oregon, where most all of the organized campsites had most of the trees removed to make way for the RV'r that is now the major user of campsites. This even in the state forest campgrounds...sigh.

Personally, I won't go car camping again without the equipment that will make me independent of the trees because of this.

Dispersed camping is entirely different, they don't expect anyone to be able to get a 40' motorhome back there so they leave the trees alone!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Thanks for the info guys!

I will be taking a tent , just in case.

(The one benefit for doing this as car-camping)

Cheers!

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Car camping along the coast. Get Forrest service maps and drive up one that accesses the coast you should be able to find places to make camp. As others have said on the coast is really hard to find dispersed camping spots.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You could always do a little of the OCT as a side trip