Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    Thanks. That makes sense.
    No problem.

Note that I'm an ultralight hiker due to my time limitations more'n anything else, though; I'm rarely out for more than two or three nights and always want to see as much as possible in those days. That leads to a fairly strenuous winnowing of weight in support of that goal. Long-duration hikers or campers may want a bit more comfort than I do.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

My schedule is the similar. Out on Saturday after work. Go as far as I can. Back on Sunday afternoon. The only exceptions are holidays that give me an extra day on the weekend. It is wearing on me. I would kill for a 10 day hike.

Images
    If you can afford it the more modular your hammock kit the better.
    Only take what you need.
    I always pack one of those small fishermans headbug net incase the little buggers show and I left my net at home.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you can afford it the more modular your hammock kit the better.
    Only take what you need.
    I always pack one of those small fishermans headbug net incase the little buggers show and I left my net at home.
    I thought I was the only one running around with one of those in the woods. Lol

Thanks for the reply.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    While I've enjoyed my HH Explorer UL, it is not a purchase I would make again, I agree on the modular approach and that's what I'm working on in my kit.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    While I've enjoyed my HH Explorer UL, it is not a purchase I would make again, I agree on the modular approach and that's what I'm working on in my kit.
    Which specific one are you leaning towards?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Having a modular design is nice but it comes with a penalty sometimes. For instance, a tarp with separate doors allows for you to choose whether or not to take/use it but it adds to setup-time. While this may not be an issue during fair weather, in bad weather this could prove to be a real pain. Modular hammock designs are pretty nice but again, your adding things that you will have to work around while on your trip. Integrated zippers bugnets cant be left behind in colder temps to reduce weight like modular designs allow but can be slightly lighter(depending on design), when compared in warmer temps, and less fiddle factor, IMO. I dont mind bugnets in colder temps because they act as a perfect wind reducer but still allow for plenty of ventilation. I have made a few zip off top-covers/bugnets but the only zippers available for these types are rather large and heavy and add several ounces to the hammock weight.
    DSC01067b.jpgDSC01071b.jpgDSC01076.jpgDSC01075b.jpg

I think the best setup that I have found is to have several hammocks designed for different conditions if you want to maximize weight, performance, and ease of use/setup time. I would really just envision your use of the gear choice as best you can before deciding on one. If you ever plan to go out in cold weather then think of your hands freezing up and whether or not your shelter will still be easy to set up or will all the modular attachments end up causing you more frustration than enjoyment. There is no free lunch so it all comes down to preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    There are many more folks with much more experience than me. But, I've been a full timer for the better part of a year and slept over 1/2 the previous year in a hammock. For backpacking I am leaning to a DIY 10' x 5' netless to use with a dream hammock UL bugnet. I have an issue with calf ridge too often on my HH, and it's bulk penalty is not something that merit's keeping. My HH with whoopies, HH over cover, HH under cover, HH straps, Dutch clips & carabiners weighs 2 lbs. 13 oz. and packs in a 12" x 8" bag. (Tarp not included) I'm looking for smaller and lighter.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=63004

I have a simple gathered end tablecloth that is 9'7" x 4'10" that is NEVER had an issue with calf ridge and is ALWAYS comfortable.

If I were buying a hammock with bugnet it would most likely be a Roaming Gnome or Darien by Dream Hammock or a Byer Miskito, I have one and it's small and light, but some find it too small, but for $40 it's cheap. If I were buying a netless it would be either a GT Nano 7 (with size as the main consideration) or Wilderness logics which would trump the Nano's comfort.

Making a hammock being so simple is the reason why I am planning on the 10' x 5' DIY gathered end out of 1.1or 1.6 ripstop. That seems to be a happy medium between the longer Night Owl and the UL Nano 7. Since my sewing skills are weak I most likely purchase the bugnet.

It all depends on you're wants and needs. My trips are mostly overnight on the weekends to get out and get away, and smaller and lighter trump plush comfort for me. I'm a newbie when it comes to backpacking. I also have been camping some when traveling on business and have really enjoyed that. Saved a few dimes as well.

I found the following thread informative and it shaped my idea of what a good setup is.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=20614

Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    Which specific one are you leaning towards?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Thanks for all the help. The separate hammock for different conditions is ideal, but finances come into play at some point. There are always compromises when you try to force one piece of gear to function for multiple uses, but, at this point, that is what I will have to do.

I like less fiddle factor, but the ability to lighten the load is a big consideration, and I am not sure how to weight the two against each other at this point

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast