Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps

What do you do with your shoes in wet/cold weather?

I thought about leaving them under my hammock but if the rain/snow blows under the tarp, they get wet (did that). Plus, I don't want to put my wet muddy shoes in my hammock. But, if you don't, they are like frozen bricks in the morning (did that).

The only thing I could think of was to put them in a plastic bag and stow them in one of my hammock saddle bags. That can result in frozen bricks too, though.

What do you more experienced people do?
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    As of now...Eno DoubleNest (stc)
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I personally haven't found a way to keep them from freezing but what I've done in the past is to carry a couple of grocery bags and keep boots in those. They'll still freeze but they won't get wet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    Your feet add moisture to the boot. Drive sticks in near the fire, then put your boots Upside down on them.

If no fire that bag them and put under your quilt or in your bag. If in a sock, hang from the ridge line.

In summer I hang them from the end of the hammock to keep them dry and the critters out.
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    For wet conditions just hang them from your hammock suspension under your tarp. For cold conditions I loosen the laces and open the shoe up as much as possible. Then I step down the heel (I use trail runners), that way in the morning I can just slip my feet in them like slippers and they are thawed out in no time.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

If you have leather boots you don't want to have them by the fire it'll just lead to them drying out (not the kind of drying out you want though) and cracking, glues delaminating, and shrinkage. You could put one of those hand warmer things in each overnight and see how that works though

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Frozen shoes suck in the winter. If you have an extra that you can slip on and dry out the wet ones by the fires that's great, other wise......put them in a bag and bury them in the snow. Obviously they won't get dry, but handling like you would bury your extra water, perhaps they won't freeze. That was about as crazy of an attempt to answer I could get.

Purchase some of that special spray that keeps any and all water off of them, then they won't get wet to begin with. You know, the stuff that even causes wet mud to just fly off, yet supposedly remains breathable???

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Based on my experience the best solution is to never have wet boots. Seriously though, having dealt with frozen leather boots on a multi-day trip, if I expect wet conditions I use water proof boots. With the water proof boots I also use a VB sock, so I am not soaking the boots from the inside out.

At the end of the day, the boots are dry and can be placed under the hammock and/or covered if needed to protect them from the elements. I change out of the VB socks and put on some nice wool and/or loose fleece socks for in the hammock.

Michael

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    In my younger days, I had 2 tricks:
    1) put my hot water bottle (used in hammock during real cold weather) in one shoe for 15 min. while I fired up the stove and heated more water; put that shoe on and used water bottle to heat up the other. This was only done a couple times when boots were frozen solid, but it worked.
    2) Most of the time I put a plastic bag (bread wrapper) over my socks and just put the boots on to wear while they warm up.
    Now days I stay home until it is nice out :>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

I put them under my rain jacket, pack, or groundsheet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    When I winter camp on the ground, I put my boots in a waterproof garbage bag and bring it inside my sleeping bag -- between my legs. While initially making me a bit cool, it ensures that the boots don't freeze at night.

I suppose this would also work in a hammock inside a TQ, but haven't tried it yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast