SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think you are nearing the answer you are seeking.

But I will say that in the situation of long distance hiking it has been proven time and again that it is well suited for such event's. Many have done extremely long hikes (Nimblewill Nomad is one of them) with cuben fiber pieces (NM used a cuben tent), as well as Samurai Joe (owner of Z-Packs) has used cuben for all his thru's, and many many many more venture out all the time on long treks with more cuben gear every year.

The material can handle it, many times over if treated with the respect it deserves. Also with an understanding of it's limitations and possibilities.
    I think you're right. Especially since I erect nothing without a shock-cord safety net on the tie-outs, and especially since I tend to duck behind hills and stay out of high winds. And it'll get my base down another half-lb. I think I'll have to give this new-fangled Cuben contraption a go.

Thanks All.

(p.s. anybody wanna buy a nice aluminum cookset or a slightly used Boy Scout canvas Yucca Pack?)
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have taken away a lesson from this thread. That is to put a shockcord loop on at least one end of the ridgeline.

I have always done this on my silnylon tarps due to stretch and sag. But now I will add it to my cuben (and spinnaker) tarps recognizing that trees sway in the breeze & there's no stretch in my cuben or spectra guy-lines.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    Cuben is a laminated fabric that was marketed for the yachting and sailing industry. .......
    Nope. It is a film, reinforced by dyneema like fiber.

There are those who can use and reuse the same sheet of aluminum foil, and those who can,t.

I tripped and skidded one knee on pavement, tearing up my human skin. Which was wearing a pant leg made of Riggs Workwear ripstop cotton. Almost no abrasion, and no tearing whatever. That,s appropriate engineering of the all-cotton fabric.

I don,t think minimum weight, whatever the fragility or risk, is correctly described as "appropriately engineered. I want to be able to exit from a thorny patch I,ve mistakenly gone into, paying a smaller penalty than Cuben (or some UL fabrics) subjects me at risk of.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Nope. It is a film, reinforced by dyneema like fiber.
    The CTF³ product line are flexible non-woven laminates that utilize DSM Dyneema® fibers.

This was taken directly from Cubic Tech's web site.

Here- http://www.cubictechnology.com/ctf3.htm
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have taken away a lesson from this thread. That is to put a shockcord loop on at least one end of the ridgeline.
    Just what I was thinking. When my CF tarp tore in a 40 mph wind it was surprising to me. It's sail material. But forces must be equalized/energy dissipated one way or another. Flexing is better than tearing, eh?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Would a single line tarp ridgeline be as effective? Seems it would take the tension, instead of the tarp.
    Last edited by awilder; 01-25-2014 at 22:29.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The CTF³ product line are flexible non-woven laminates that utilize DSM Dyneema® fibers.

This was taken directly from Cubic Tech's web site.

Here- http://www.cubictechnology.com/ctf3.htm

Yes,taken right from the maker and marketer. But, you didn't pay enough to the adjective, "non-woven". Technically, every two or more layer bonded sheet can be called a laminate. I don,t know whether the reinforcing dyneema is molded within one layer or pressed within two layers of substrate and superstrate. If it isn't a film, then it is two bonded layers of film. Which can suffer DE lamination.

If it works for you, great. For emergency "blanket", I,d rather a thin nearly impermeable nylon fabric to a mylar film, for the same reason I wouldn't depend on Cuben. True, it wouldn't be as light as the mylar. But could I get cred for it being made of Argon fabric, and costing 5-10 times as much as the flimsy space blanket?��
    Last edited by DemostiX; 01-26-2014 at 03:30.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Yes,taken right from the maker and marketer. But, you didn't pay enough to the adjective, "non-woven". Technically, every two or more layer bonded sheet can be called a laminate. I don,t know whether the reinforcing dyneema is molded within one layer or pressed within two layers of substrate and superstrate. If it isn't a film, then it is two bonded layers of film. Which can suffer DE lamination.

If it works for you, great. For emergency "blanket", I,d rather a thin nearly impermeable nylon fabric to a mylar film, for the same reason I wouldn't depend on Cuben. True, it wouldn't be as light as the mylar. But could I get cred for it being made of Argon fabric, and costing 5-10 times as much as the flimsy space blanket?��
    You may be right I may not have paid enough attention to the adjective, but, it appears as though you didn't even pay attention to the facts (yet again, what is this now 20-30 times). Cuben is "NOT" a film "PERIOD" no where on the manufacturers page does it say film...

Yes you are correct that DE lamination is a possible outcome with Cuben, it has been noted on here I believe it was Acer whom had this happen to his tarp. Also it has been recorded on other sites more than a hand-full of times, although I would have to say that this would be more of a miniscule happening just due too the amount of cuben that has been sold/used and has not had this happen. Although there could be some whom haven't reported their case of this happening?????

Your last paragraph I'm little confused on so I will leave that alone, how does Argon and a space blanket come into play on a thread "Is Cuben delicate"?????? Oh well...this is my end on this! May the force be with you, and go in peace
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Would a single line tarp ridgeline be as effective? Seems it would take the tension, instead of the tarp.
    Well thats a great question...For years I have been using a one piece ridgeline, and would switch it between over and under the tarp. Yet here for the last year or so I am now using two separate lines, all with a prussic attachment at the tarp ridgeline tie out (prussic is attached to the ridgeline tie out) and then the line attached to the prussic (if that makes sense??).

I have had some slippage in the past yet I added a extra wrap or two of the prussic and no more slippage. My thinking (which isn't much as it hurts) is if it doesn't slip anymore, then the there is a greater possibility of failure somewhere because of the tautness of the system. Now I've never had a failure of a tie out "yet", could very well happen and I think that if it were to happen while I am out I have the materials to do a "field" fix and get me by.

For me the added little extra of a loop of shockcord to provide a safety of sorts is my intended route. I would love to hear from others with their ideas.

FWIW I feel that "yes" cuben is delicate. And should be treated with a greater amount of respect and care than other choices. My feelings are treat it as it should be treated and it should serve you well, if one does not go that extra mile/step then disaster could be just around the corner.

Great thread though, I've learned a great deal from it....thanks

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    This is why i wont get cuben.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast