DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I didn't want to name names but glad you decided to out yourself Yoda. We both got a little wet that night. There was a tornado watch in effect and when the rain came it came sideways with you and me both inline and facing the worst way.

Yes, that was a wonderful hike with wonderful people.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Sorry to hijack, but....

Okay, so .... is cuben worth the extra $$ to save the 6-7 oz. and have to carry repair tape? That is the question for me. I am about to pull the trigger on a Hammock Gear tarp that'll undercut my Superfly clone by almost a 3/4 pound and a smaller (8X10) by probably 7 oz., which is valuable to me on my long hikes, but there's no point if it's gonna spontaneously self-destruct.....

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Brancher; 01-25-2014 at 13:03.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but....

Okay, so .... is cuben worth the extra $$ to save the 6-7 oz. and have to carry repair tape? That is the question for me. I am about to pull the trigger on a Hammock Gear tarp that'll undercut my Superfly clone by almost a pound and a smaller (8X10) by probably 7-98 oz., which is valuable to me on my long hikes, but there's no point if it's gonna spontaneously self-destruct.....

Thoughts?
    Well to put it short....whats "Your answer"...you posed a question to yourself, within which we cannot rightfully answer for you.

First can you afford it?

Second is the expense justified?

Third is what is the purpose of the purchase?

Fourth can this be done with another material to accomplish the goal?

The answers to these may help you in the decision, well should help you. There are other questions I'm sure, but most will be personal. Like hiking vs car camping, long distance vs short distance, you have a medical issue needing the lightest gear to aide in your enjoyment of the outdoors, and much more.

My opinion for me it was totally worth it...the weight saved was tremendous not only in the tarp material itself, but also the lines and packing method I implemented (cuben tarp skins). My enjoyment of my hiking and outdoors trips improved tremendously as the pack weight dropped I was able to walk more upright and instead of watching every little step I was able to actually look up much more and see what I was missing because of that super heavy pack. The tarp was just a piece of the puzzle, but it turned out to be a important weight cutting piece for me.

With regard to carrying repair tape, IMHO one should always have a method of repairing their gear while out, and TBH the cuben repair tape is so lightweight I can carry a bunch of it and not affect my total weight by too much. While duct tape does work, and work extremely well I prefer not to use it (been there done that) and use cuben repair tape for my needed repairs, JMO and I'm sure others will have their own and differ from mine.

These are just my views and statements and reflect my own thoughts on the subject and no one else's.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I think its worth it,,and as long as your hanging in the shade, and not direct sunlight,,you should be ok. And...learn not to hang cuben tarps as tightly as you hang silnylon as there is no need to the clapped down tightness when hanging a cuben tarp like you normally do on silnylon. The weight savings is worth it overall and the aspects of cuben being totally dry in rain on the underneath side is worth it also. Only time your going to feel moisture on your head or back rubbing cuben tarps is if you had any condensation from your body and breathing heat, or heavy fog of which everything gets damp no matter what you do to prevent moisture. One other thing I really like about cuben,,if you dismantling camp in a wet condition,,you just wipe or shake cuben tarps off and stuff in your pack as most moisture will come right off them with no increase in weight vs silnylon being totally wet till it drys completely out. Good luck in your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I didn't want to name names but glad you decided to out yourself Yoda. We both got a little wet that night. There was a tornado watch in effect and when the rain came it came sideways with you and me both inline and facing the worst way.

Yes, that was a wonderful hike with wonderful people.
    No worries Knotty, yea I'm good at outing myself. It was a nasty storm, but I feel it was a super learning experience and further enhanced my skills and knowledge.

TBH I wish we could do hikes like that more often.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Images
    When I read the D ring broke on the OP's tarp it reminded me of a group winter hang with howling night winds in the tree tops. 40-50 mph the suddenly stop and start again.
    The 14-18" diameter trees would bow and then the wind would suddenly quit.
    The trees would quickly swing back and it would pop or shake the hammock.
    Kept us awake all night.
    With different diameter trees moving at different rates our tarp RL needed 3-4" of flex or something would break. No one was using cuben.

Superfly's rule Colorado Winter Hangs.
    I only use my cuben in summer and only on long hikes where weigh matters most.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Well to put it short....whats "Your answer"...you posed a question to yourself, within which we cannot rightfully answer for you.

First can you afford it?

Second is the expense justified?

Third is what is the purpose of the purchase?

Fourth can this be done with another material to accomplish the goal?

The answers to these may help you in the decision, well should help you. There are other questions I'm sure, but most will be personal. Like hiking vs car camping, long distance vs short distance, you have a medical issue needing the lightest gear to aide in your enjoyment of the outdoors, and much more.

My opinion for me it was totally worth it...the weight saved was tremendous not only in the tarp material itself, but also the lines and packing method I implemented (cuben tarp skins). My enjoyment of my hiking and outdoors trips improved tremendously as the pack weight dropped I was able to walk more upright and instead of watching every little step I was able to actually look up much more and see what I was missing because of that super heavy pack. The tarp was just a piece of the puzzle, but it turned out to be a important weight cutting piece for me.

With regard to carrying repair tape, IMHO one should always have a method of repairing their gear while out, and TBH the cuben repair tape is so lightweight I can carry a bunch of it and not affect my total weight by too much. While duct tape does work, and work extremely well I prefer not to use it (been there done that) and use cuben repair tape for my needed repairs, JMO and I'm sure others will have their own and differ from mine.

These are just my views and statements and reflect my own thoughts on the subject and no one else's.
    Thanks, Yoda, and thanks all of you for chiming in...

I'll try to answer..

1. Yes. I've been unloading older gear and paring down to try and make this upcoming thru a 'zero-net-cost-for-gear' affair. (It's really not zer-net, but I like to fool myself into thinking it is....plus, my wife likes that part). This cuben (if I get it) is the last 'big' thing. Otherwise, I'll just sew up an 8X11 silnylon one and keep on truckin'..

2. Expense - well, I'll be living in it or a long time. I think it is, but ONLY if it holds up.

3. Purpose is an AT thru. That's where the rub is. Don't know if it's up for a 6-month partnership. While I baby my gear (even my cookware gets a bath!), I hate to invite trouble. I've never had a silny tarp rip or break except for a tie-out or two.

4. Good question. For me it is a question of ounces and peace of mind. I can lose 7 oz with this over a silnylon of the same size. And I walk - a lot - so a 7-oz bonus is pretty valuable (especially since I'm old now...) but the peace-of-mind part is not quite there yet.

I looked at Vanguard's down at the Ocala hang last weekend, it seemed plenty sturdy enough, and the camo finish was way cool looking, but I don't know his outdoor lifestyle and he told me it was brand new. It's really about peace of mind. That's what I'm looking for.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

OB I would think in situations like those some consideration to the manner of attachment or securing of one's tarp should be done. If one were to chose to use cuben I think a 1/8" shockcord loop should be added to each side of the ridgeline tie out to allow for that tree flex/sway. Also IMHO I think it should be added anyways for all use, as the material doesn't flex and stretch like Silnylon does, which is one of it's characteristics.

Condemning the material unsuitable (not saying you have) for a certain seasons I think is slightly misguided. It can handle it all, just certain allowances or implementations should be added in to allow for the conditions it will face. Also consideration to the type of use that the material will be subjected too should be looked into before subjecting it to it, like long term deployment (low UV resistance) as has been learned by others long term use and material degradation.

I'm not attacking anyone, or saying anyone is wrong, or right...just offering my (sometimes misguided) opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Thanks, Yoda, and thanks all of you for chiming in...

I'll try to answer..

1. Yes. I've been unloading older gear and paring down to try and make this upcoming thru a 'zero-net-cost-for-gear' affair. (It's really not zer-net, but I like to fool myself into thinking it is....plus, my wife likes that part). This cuben (if I get it) is the last 'big' thing. Otherwise, I'll just sew up an 8X11 silnylon one and keep on truckin'..

2. Expense - well, I'll be living in it or a long time. I think it is, but ONLY if it holds up.

3. Purpose is an AT thru. That's where the rub is. Don't know if it's up for a 6-month partnership. While I baby my gear (even my cookware gets a bath!), I hate to invite trouble. I've never had a silny tarp rip or break except for a tie-out or two.

4. Good question. For me it is a question of ounces and peace of mind. I can lose 7 oz with this over a silnylon of the same size. And I walk - a lot - so a 7-oz bonus is pretty valuable (especially since I'm old now...) but the peace-of-mind part is not quite there yet.

I looked at Vanguard's down at the Ocala hang last weekend, it seemed plenty sturdy enough, and the camo finish was way cool looking, but I don't know his outdoor lifestyle and he told me it was brand new. It's really about peace of mind. That's what I'm looking for.

I think you are nearing the answer you are seeking.

But I will say that in the situation of long distance hiking it has been proven time and again that it is well suited for such event's. Many have done extremely long hikes (Nimblewill Nomad is one of them) with cuben fiber pieces (NM used a cuben tent), as well as Samurai Joe (owner of Z-Packs) has used cuben for all his thru's, and many many many more venture out all the time on long treks with more cuben gear every year.

The material can handle it, many times over if treated with the respect it deserves. Also with an understanding of it's limitations and possibilities.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    OB I would think in situations like those some consideration to the manner of attachment or securing of one's tarp should be done. If one were to chose to use cuben I think a 1/8" shockcord loop should be added to each side of the ridgeline tie out to allow for that tree flex/sway. Also IMHO I think it should be added anyways for all use, as the material doesn't flex and stretch like Silnylon does, which is one of it's characteristics.

Condemning the material unsuitable (not saying you have) for a certain seasons I think is slightly misguided. It can handle it all, just certain allowances or implementations should be added in to allow for the conditions it will face. Also consideration to the type of use that the material will be subjected too should be looked into before subjecting it to it, like long term deployment (low UV resistance) as has been learned by others long term use and material degradation.

I'm not attacking anyone, or saying anyone is wrong, or right...just offering my (sometimes misguided) opinions.
    No offense taken you are making perfect sense.
    I've just choosen to not use it out here in the high country.
    It's part of my protect your down gear at all costs.

The wind did not come up until well after midnight all were in bed.
    There was no prewarning one minute you are warm and comfy the next you are riding a bucking bronco.
    I like your idea of shockcord loops for a little give on the cuben RL.
    Also an under the tarp RL with prussics may have saved those D rings since the prussics should slip before the ring breaks.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-25-2014 at 14:13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast