DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Clark Drip Rings used for part of suspension

http://junglehammock.com/youtube.php

I just saw this on the Clark site. The video shows how to use the Clark drip rings as part of a simple adjustable suspension.

I may have to try and find the ones I took off mine and try this.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A big BOO-HISS for using ropes without a webbing tree hugger. I know Clark is not responsible for that video but somewhere in there should be a statement about the use of something other than rope around the tree, The idea looks interesting tho.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    that is an interresting concept w/the drip rings!!
    not taking up for the lack of straps around that pole, but when I first got my clark, I wanted to use it a few times "just as is" before adding new/different ways to hang it. I picked either oak or pine trees, none of those delicate trees that the bark/skin is easily harmed. One of the first things I found out was if you only went around a tree once with the rope, that rope will slip down the tree as you move around in the hammock. So when I looked at that video, my thought was that they were just demo-ing the drip rings. You would most diffinately need straps around the tree to be able to use that drip ring system. Please note that these are only my personal observations.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    that is an interresting concept w/the drip rings!!
    not taking up for the lack of straps around that pole, but when I first got my clark, I wanted to use it a few times "just as is" before adding new/different ways to hang it. I picked either oak or pine trees, none of those delicate trees that the bark/skin is easily harmed. One of the first things I found out was if you only went around a tree once with the rope, that rope will slip down the tree as you move around in the hammock. So when I looked at that video, my thought was that they were just demo-ing the drip rings. You would most diffinately need straps around the tree to be able to use that drip ring system. Please note that these are only my personal observations.
    I hadn't thought about that. Good call. I also wondered about the way the rope went around the tree. I guess I just figure if someone is going to do a video demo of something they will video it the way it would actually be done in the field.

I may have to unplug my keyboard when I can't sleep at night. Seems to get me into trouble.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I had the same thought but since I have no idea what those are rated to handle in loading I was not too keen on doing that and relying on it not to bruise my back.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Do you really think you are going to bend those drip rings before the sewn channel on the Clark gives way? I found the drip rings I took off and will try the set up this weekend. This is not much different than the setup I use with carabiners. I just have to wrap the biner 3 times due to the smaller diameter.

Would it be terrible if Ring/Buckle thread was a little shorter due to being able use the stock suspension without making modifications?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I set up my hammock in the yard using the drip rings as described in the video in this thread.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best. These are very quick to adjust. I bounced around in the hammock and had no slippage. I put the rope thru the tree hugger but if you was not worried about a couple more ounces you could use a biner and clip into the hugger. This would allow you to leave the entire suspension intact and quickly rehang the hammock.

The drip rings weigh .4 ounces each about the same as one SMC ring used in the ring/buckle system. A Clark drip ring with spyderline would be hard to beat on weight and adjustability. I have 2 sets of these I have taken off Clark hammocks so I know at least 2 of my hammocks will use these.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Do you really think you are going to bend those drip rings before the sewn channel on the Clark gives way?
    Probably not, but as I said.... don't know. You guys go ahead and test it for awhile though!

The other thing I like with the SMC rings is that I can move them around since I just hitch them into the line so I can send them way out on the line and keep my drip rings under the tarp.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    now I don't know and I'm only guessing here... but with the original set up using the drip rings, wouldn't all the weight of hanging with you in the hammock, already been transfered through those drip rings?? and they didn't fail. So to me, it looks like now you've got two points of contact on the drip rings, same load but spread out a little bit more. Where's those math guys that did all the calulations on that one thread I boggled through??

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I think the rope or the hammock would fail before those drip rings. They are forged aluminum, no seam/joint and are pretty beefy. I'd bet that they are stronger than an SMC descending ring.
    Last edited by fin; 05-22-2009 at 11:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast