Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dd or hennessy

I've had my HH Expedition Asym Classic for 2 months. I've hung in it a fair bit, slept out in it in some very humid weather.

As far as quality goes, the HH is great. It's well made and has plenty of space (I'm 172 cm / 95 kg). The bug net is great in this part of Australia, but it does cut the breeze substantially and limits the ability to reach down to cook. While it's possible to use the hammock as a seat or lie on one half outside the bugnet, the ridgeline doesn't allow you to flip the hammock and sleep without the bugnet like the DD does.

The bottom entry took some getting used to, but I like it now. The tree straps and suspension are very simple and light. Once you get used to the lashing technique it's quite fast, but not as fast or user friendly as whoopies or webbing. The Asym design seems to work quite well, allowing you to get a good lay, although where trees are closer or further that 12-15 feet, hanging the tarp and achieving a good lay without under/overloading the ridgeline can be a little tricky. Also, the Asym tarp attaches to the suspension via prussic knots and tends to sag when you weight is taken by the hammock. I'm now using a separate continuous ridgeline.

The Asym tarp is fairly minimalist. Wind blown rain can infiltrate if the tarp isn't pitched close to the bugnetting. So care is needed when pitching. I would probably invest in a larger hex tarp or perhaps DDs 3x3 tarp (a very versatile tarp for hammocking and ground camping).

What do I like about the HH?

- complete setup out of the box
    - good quality
    - simple suspension and tarp design
    - comfortable, spacious Asym design

What do I not like?

- bug net is not removable/ cannot flip and sleep without out netting
    - lashing can be a pain to adjust
    - Asym tarp coverage not great in windy rain
    - single layer not great with pads

I have never tried a DD, but they look pretty interesting. If I was to purchase or DIY a hammock again it would be similar in design and construction to the HH, but with a removable bug net, extra layer to accommodate a pad/insulation and possibly webbing suspension. I'd continue to run a separate line for the tarp.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you go!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I have the DD Jungle Hammock (modular system) and it is very nice. I love the poles to open it up. It also has a waterproof layer you can put on the bottom or over the top which I use in both configurations.

I also have the Hennessey DJ XL and it is very nice. It has the DL and I was fortunate to get it from another forum member with the hex tarp and the regular smaller tarp. It is very nice, and I love the hammock material.

Neither of these is what you are looking at, but I just wanted to give you my thoughts on the DD and Hennessey. I personally wouldn't get the Scout, because I like a bigger hammock and more room. I will add, I don't backpack with either of these. They are both a tad heavy. HYOH I am 5'9" and find a longer hammock much more comfortable. I had the Hyperlite and found it a bit confining for me. As I said this is my preference and you may find it different for you.

Spend your money wisely once vs getting something cheaper and end up selling it and getting something better later. I speak from experience on this.
    I completely agree about the modular jungle hammock. It's a nice and very versatile system and well with the little extra $$ when compared to the front line. The quality is up there with the best and their customer service rocks!!! I don't have any experience sleeping wise with the Hennessey, but my 11 year old nephew has one I've help him setup and I personally think their quality just isn't there. Even the way they make them, which seems like gathering the ends together at the factory and melting them, just doesn't seem like a product I'd like to own.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I also purchased my DD Hammock without suspension, and then added my own. Saved me a few $$. I emailed them to see if they would do this. No problem.
    "No whining in the woods"

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I have a Hennessy and like the built in bug net however i want to get a modular setup.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    I would recommend the HH. But thats my personal pref, but you'll want to hang the HH tarp on a separate ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12