Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I'm a little skeptical of the 3/4 underquilts. Don't your legs get cold? Mine is full sized and I love it.
    Yes, your legs will get cold if you don't put a pad under them. Most folks carry a short pad for a sit pad anyway, so it is no extra weight. I would NEVER go into the winter woods without a short pad in case I had to go to ground. Cannibal reminded us all the other day that many packs, like ULA packs, have a thick chunk of closed cell foam as part of the suspension and can be functional insulation. I've just started using the Warbonnet synthetic torso UQ, the more I use it, the more I like it. That's not to say I don't want a JRB Mt Washington though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Take-a-knee that is exactly the point, it is either a headhole or adjustable layers and i'm planning to put a headhole in the UQ and make my TQ adjustable.
    I cant imagine a headhole with overlapping insulation and a good closure is a problem with an UQ, you think it is?

So your Torso UQ with both layers (?) was still comfortable at 50F? , with or without venting? What is its average lowest comfortable temperature?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    ....... I've just started using the Warbonnet synthetic torso UQ, the more I use it, the more I like it. That's not to say I don't want a JRB Mt Washington though.
    I have both. Both are superb. But the MWUQ works much better on the bridge hammocks. Other than that, there are some pros and cons. The obvious pro with the torso quilt is weight. But, it is very luxurious to never have to worry about a cold spot from above my head to below my feet with the MWUQ, no matter how I toss or turn. Also, I feel that there is a tendency for my torso quilt to become mal-positioned, venting. So I have to reach out and pull it down a bit from time to time. This has never been a big deal at all, but a slight inconvenience that does not happen with the MWUQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    The MtWashington is a rectangular quilt qith differential shells and a rubberband with cordlocks on the short sides right?

What do you think has the bigger impact on the ability to vent?
    bein rectangular, full size, ... ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    The MtWashington is a rectangular quilt qith differential shells and a rubberband with cordlocks on the short sides right?

What do you think has the bigger impact on the ability to vent?
    bein rectangular, full size, ... ?
    I'm not sure, but the WB torso length UQ is ridiculously easy to vent, to the point that it may vent by accident. IOW, if you just reach out with one hand and pull the quilt above your shoulders a few inches, you get instant venting. This can actually happen by accident so that you have to reach out occasionally and pull it down more towards your feet, for a good seal and no vent. I assume all of this works the same with the Yeti torso UQs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Ok i think i misunderstood you !
    Thanks for the clarification =)

Do you think there is a limit , like a quilt warmer than an x°F Quilt could not be vented enough so it's not too warm before loosing any insulating properties?

I have no Underquilt Experience so i really dont know how good venting one works and how hard it is to regulate the temperature this way ..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    Ok i think i misunderstood you !
    Thanks for the clarification =)

Do you think there is a limit , like a quilt warmer than an x°F Quilt could not be vented enough so it's not too warm before loosing any insulating properties?

I have no Underquilt Experience so i really don't know how good venting one works and how hard it is to regulate the temperature this way ..
    I really don't have much warm weather experience using warm UQs. I did wake up sweating recently at Hot Springs with the MWUQ under me- and without any attempt at venting. But I feel that was more a function of too much top insulation in warm temps than too much under insulation. But who knows, I don't!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Venting UQ

Only have one underquilt (MWUQ). When it's overkill which is most cool (less than 50*F) evenings venting the foot/head is still something I'm try to figure out. Depending on temp and wind conditions venting can be hit and miss for temperature control. I've gone from feeling fine then a breeze comes and you get chilled. You wake up with a cool back side, have to get up and tension up the quilt. Chosen to just suspend the MWUQ properly and lay the top quilt (JRB Nest) to the side of me. BB has lots of space. Easy to pull the Nest over me if I cool down. The MWUQ wraps around the body as you lay in the hammock. Initially as you lay in the hammock it's pretty warm even in the low 30*F without a top quilt. If temps are to stay above 50*F I leave the MWUQ at home and use the HH ocf/sb/JRB WS2 combo.

Thought my kit was complete. But then the Jacks introduced the MWUQ3 and enticed me with a Trail Days sale price. If this UQ can take me in comfort down to low 20*F may end up selling the MWUQ4. Will find out this summer if the 3 is a more versatile uq and what the upper temp limit will be before having to remove it.
    Noel V.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you were too warm at 50*F with 2 layers of CS? CS XP?
    No, I was comfortable mostly. I was using a standard No Sniveler with 2" baffles up top. I would have been perfect with a one-inch baffled top quilt. The Warbonnet UQ worked great. With two layers it stuffs as small as my JRB Nest. I'm curious to see how low I can go with it. I don't see venting it as a problem.

Images
    billybob,
    you have a much older model, since then i've shortened/tightened the shockcord quite a bit, and it tends to stay put alot better both side to side and lengthwise. try this, i think it will do the trick. it should also make it easier to get a tight seal at the ends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast