WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks

AT Cold Weather Hammocking

Hello! I will be attempting the Appalachian trail this March and I've got most of my gear nailed down, but I've got a few questions regarding my hammock and the initial cold weather.

If this year follows the past years temperatures I should be looking at around 20 degree nights the first few weeks. Hopefully nothing lower, but it is a possibility.

I will be using the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe with an REI Radiant 20+ down sleeping bag and an REI inflatable pad with an r-value of 3.2. For layering I will have a merino wool base layer under shirt and pants and a wool puffy jacket. In addition to this I will probably be picking up a silk bag liner for a little extra warmth if needed.

I'm HOPING this will be enough, but I've decided to post here to see if I was being delusional as I have never spent a night in a hammock before in cold weather.

I would really like to avoid having to get an under quilt or any extra pads as weight will be an issue.

Someone please tell me I'm not being silly. How miserable would a night be in 15-20F weather with just the above gear and possibly the bottle with boiling water trick?

*Just noticed that there was a Long Distance forum. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I saw lows in the single digits on the AT back in March 2013. I'd recommend getting out now and test your gear in the cold weather and see how it performs.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you haven't camped at those temps. Get out in the yard or park and camp during wintertime. Two or three nights out before could save you some misery.

I think you will need more to be warm at those temps. Everyone is different.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    Unfortunately I live in Florida and we only have 1 or 2 days a year where it gets "cold" (20-30 degrees) and that was a few weeks ago (today it was 70). So I'll probably be rolling the dice from the start and modifying as I go. I'd just rather not die of hyperthermia my first night out

Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    I have used the pad and bag in the Rockies around Sept and again in Texas around Dec. I'm not 100% sure how cold it was, but I believe it got down to the high 20s with rain in the Rockies and about 25 in Texas and they performed well. I was never too cold and slept great. I'm not sure how much colder a hammock would make those situations.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you could find a 40 degree bottom quilt you may not have much of a weight penalty. I know you want to carry less. But my 20 degree BQ only weighs 16 oz. one extra pound and ship it home after the first month.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Better be sure you can repair the pad...if necessary.

Hammock
    sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinpn View Post
    I will be using the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe with an REI Radiant 20+ down sleeping bag and an REI inflatable pad with an r-value of 3.2. For layering I will have a merino wool base layer under shirt and pants and a wool puffy jacket. In addition to this I will probably be picking up a silk bag liner for a little extra warmth if needed.

I'm HOPING this will be enough, but I've decided to post here to see if I was being delusional as I have never spent a night in a hammock before in cold weather.
    as someone stated above, you may face the possibility of temps colder than 20's the first couple of weeks. I am not a hanger (yet) but I have hiked the AT. You have 3 options that you can do without adding any gear/weight to what you have: on the really cold nights (below 20's) set up in the shelter and use your pad, bag, liner and layers (have a hat and dry socks). this setup should add at least 8-10* to your bag rating (YMMV). Or, if you hate the shelters like I do, set up on the ground and use your tarp as a tent and use bag, liner, layers as above. if you find you are are still uncomfortable after trying these strategies (you shouldn't be unless you are a cold sleeper or it is a severe cold front), hike or hitch into a town, and wait it out the front in a hotel or hostel. If it's a hotel, split the cost with another hiker. Adds $ and time, but you are going to be out for 5-6 months so a few extra days won't matter. Will avoid the expense of buying/carrying gear you may not need. Good luck on your hike!

edit to add; fyi - with quality gear (which you have) I have been comfortable in my bag 15* degrees below it's rating without ever wearing anything more than a base layer, socks, and hat (+ liner). Never have I worn my down jacket in my bag - I would have roasted.
    Last edited by 4shot; 01-13-2014 at 07:03.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If your pad is just a regular inflatable and doesn't have some sort of insulating material inside it it may not be enough. You can take a pad lower on the ground than in a hammock. So being able get into the 20s on the ground doesn't mean you'll get into the 20s comfortably in a hammock. You could get a pad drom Gossamer Gear and make a torso pad to put under your inflatable. That would probably work fine and it could double as a sit pad. They're super light and you could use the leftovers to make a pot cozy.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Underquilt!

Try one!!!! How can you choose something you haven't tried?

Here's the thing about thru-hiking, you hike all day, you stop and eat dinner and then crawl into your hammock and you want to feel as good as you can feel until you get up in the morning and start all over again. Once you realize this, and that it's going to be an every day thing for months, the price of an underquilt won't even be a part of the decision. I venture to say the decision would be about like choosing between the right shoes and just okay shoes.

As someone said above, you have to get out and test your gear so you'll know what to expect.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast