WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

BG Hammock

Earlier in the week (before it was removed due to excessive bashing) we had a thread about the Bear Grylls Hammock sold online at Walmart for $34.27. Several of us were curious, so I ordered one.

If you have come to this thread to bash BG, now would be a good time to leave. This thread is a review of the hammock and not the man. Bashing posts will be removed.

As anticipated, the ad copy at Walmart had much incorrect info. The hammock I received was the standard grey no net hammock as shown and spec'd on the BG website.

It is grey, not orange. On my scales it weighs 29.6 oz vs the 26oz advertised. It seems to be a typical reasonable quality hammock made in China. The hardware is all steel and my best guess is that the straps are tubular nylon.

I did a quicky set up, got in and sank to within a few inches of the ground, got back out and tightened the straps. At 185 lbs, I am not use to that much stretch with my DIY hammocks and polyester straps. I think a fair amount of the stretch was in the straps so set it up higher than you think it might need.

First impression...the comfort and lay matches what I've come to expect from a 10' x 60" hammock. Not bad. I would have gladly laid there if I had had an UQ and time.

Again, I only have a few minutes time spent in the hammock, but it appears to be a fair deal for a $35 dollar setup "ready" to hang.

I do recommend retying the continuous loops attached to the ends as they only have the typical single overhand knot.

IMG_0311 (Medium).JPG IMG_0312 cropped (Medium).jpg IMG_0314 (Medium).JPG IMG_0318 (Medium).JPG IMG_0315 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Nice first impression review. If someone is looking to get going, can't DIY their own out of a tablecloth or other available materials on the cheap, this would be a great way to get off the cold, hard, wet, uneven and low ground. Thanks for sharing your "take one for the team" approach review.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Thank you for the review. I placed my order. Hopefully I will get the gray one as well. Going to keep it in the jeep. :-) the buckles are pretty nice and it will make a good loaner.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Interesting.

If you look at the second pic, it tells you to go to bearriver.net for product care instructions:

http://bearriver.net/beargrylls.html

The hammock is shown there, but there aren't any care instructions for a hammock, and no pricing or other information.

If you go to his other product page, its listed under "Products inspired by Get Out Alive", his now defunct TV Reality show, and is listed for $49.99:

http://www.beargryllsstore.com/usa/new-products.html

Given the 30% reduction in price for the Walmart offering, that the hammocks are not listed with his other products, and the fact that BG Logoed products are not reappearing on shelves, I'd say that these won't be available in the future, or may show up as a lower priced item without the logo.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    I actually really like the buckles.
    Are they 1" webbing compatibile? What is the weight?
    Thank you for an open mind

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBigmonster View Post
    I actually really like the buckles.
    Are they 1" webbing compatibile? What is the weight?
    Thank you for an open mind
    HEAVY Each cinch buckle is 1.8 oz and each biner is 2.1 oz. That means almost 1/2 lb of hardware.

Yes, they are 1" cinch buckles and a style several of us have looked for in aluminum but have not found in 1". They had a part # on them, but is was ground off prior to plating.

Dutch has been attempting to develop this shape of cinch buckle in titanium. We hope to see them soon.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Thank you for that. Shiny

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The cinch buckles available at Readystrap and Dutch are similar and weigh 1.0 oz even. IIRC, Jacks R Better or one of the other cottage vendors sells some that are almost identical to the ones used in this hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The cinch buckles available at Readystrap and Dutch are similar and weigh 1.0 oz even. IIRC, Jacks R Better or one of the other cottage vendors sells some that are almost identical to the ones used in this hammock.
    Some of us want the style RS and Dutch have with the V end added to keep an attaching rope loop centered. JRB has the V but it is a double ring style.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I was very curious about this hammock and thank the op for the information.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast