Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compression sac

compression sac

Is there much volume to be gained if one is used to compress the hammock over a stuff sack? Is there a reason not to do this?.

Looking for space savings in a small pack.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    Is there much volume to be gained if one is used to compress the hammock over a stuff sack? Is there a reason not to do this?.

Looking for space savings in a small pack.

Thanks.
    You will certainly get some volume reduction; it depends on how 'hard' you are stuffing your hammock into the stuffsac now.
    One advantage of compression sacs is that you can start with a larger sac than you need (easier to pack) then pull the volume down. Nice if you need to pack in a hurry (bad weather, emergency).
    Compression sacs really shine when packing clothing and insulation (like down).
    The downside of compression sacs (for me) is that they create a very 'hard lump' vs a softer item to pack in a backpack. If you have all your gear in compression sacs it is like trying to pack a bunch of water bottles into your pack, IME.
    So you may not gain a great deal.
    Also, gram-counters will tell you that a compression sac is heavier than a standard lightweight stuffsac.
    I'm a 'bigger pack-easier to stuff in an extra jacket' kinda guy, so can't really answer your question properly.
    I do like the OutdoorResearch (OR) compression sacs- I use a bunch to get gear packed for my kayak.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    +1
    I prefer my hammock and tarp kind of loose. It creates a more flexible lump in the pack vs a hard ball. My other soft stuff-ables are the same. They stuff into a sack, but not overly tight and definitely not in a compression sack.
    KCCO

Images
    i like JRB compression sacks they compress the quilt, but not so much it feels like a grapefruit in pack. also 1.2 ounces is great
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    +1 on compressing to a limit. I use a waterproof compression sack where I shove in my UQ and sleeping bag and cinch it down enough to fit in the bottom of my backpack.

The quilts certainly offer a great space savings in the pack by compressing, but will tarps or hammocks? I seem to get some gain with my tent.

I am just curious because all the videos I see of the various hammocks in the stuff sacks show what look like really loose, potentially compressible items that could offer lots of space savings.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    I think that when it comes to tarps/hammocks one could use a compression bag, but the small amount of volume change compared to just cramming a normal stuff sack into a back pack and then stuffing other items around it, thus further compressing it, isnīt worth the loss you get by having a stiff item that doesnīt form into place. The compression bag comes into its own when you fill it with items that have a large amount of loft, which tarps and hammocks donīt have compared to down filled items. Iīd say itīs better to have a "loose" stuff sack which allows it to adjust its form to its surroundings, if you know what I mean.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is one other unforeseen effect of compression sacks - a shift in the center of gravity of your pack. We pack to try and keep the heavy gear up top so that most of the load appears as close to the spine as possible. The lighter bulky stuff keeps it up there. Now you add in a couple of compression sacks and that weight shifts down a couple of inches which is worse for your back. Or you fill the new-found space with extra gear, which has the same effect. It's subtle, but no less real for being subtle.

There is a use for compression sacks though. If you have been through your gear list, pared it down and are still having space issues with your pack, then a compression sack might buy you the difference. If you find yourself needing to carry a little more gear than your usual load (maybe you have some group gear to carry, or a new significant other will to try backpacking if she can bring her slippers and a favorite blanket, maybe you're testing new gear that you don't quite trust yet and need the backup, etc), then a compression sack can make the difference. For me, the biggest reason to use a compression sack is because a synthetic bag/quilt needs to be packed. Down gear packs easily and if a little extra compression is needed then I sit on the stuff sack before putting it in the pack. Synthetic doesn't pack as well to begin with and springs back almost immediately, so is virtually impossbile to compress without a compression sack.

Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    There is a use for compression sacks though. If you have been through your gear list, pared it down and are still having space issues with your pack, then a compression sack might buy you the difference. If you find yourself needing to carry a little more gear than your usual load (maybe you have some group gear to carry, or a new significant other will to try backpacking if she can bring her slippers and a favorite blanket, maybe you're testing new gear that you don't quite trust yet and need the backup, etc), then a compression sack can make the difference. For me, the biggest reason to use a compression sack is because a synthetic bag/quilt needs to be packed. Down gear packs easily and if a little extra compression is needed then I sit on the stuff sack before putting it in the pack. Synthetic doesn't pack as well to begin with and springs back almost immediately, so is virtually impossbile to compress without a compression sack.
    I have a couple of issues that are making me rethink my packing. First, I have big packs. Bad plan. I fill them. So I am trying to get everything down to a reasonable size so I can find a nice 3 day pack for weekends and force myself to cut the load.

Secondly, I have old gear, so as I get new stuff and try to lighten up, I am trying to guesstimate what I need for volume. This is hard to do, as the gear is only being replaced as something wears out.

Lastly is the new wife and step daughter. They are interested in backpacking, and I am trying to make room for some of their stuff and increased community gear until we get them settled in the gear and pack arena.

One great side benefit of this is that I get a hammock set up out of this. Rather than buying a new tent to fit all of us, I am going to go to hanging. The ladies will have the tent, the dog and I will have the hammock and fly.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I have done both compression and just stuffing. The other posters are correct about the hard ball effect. I don't like the feel of it after a few miles.

I don't have to carry anyone else's gear, so I have evolved into 50 and 60 liter packs depending on season. I have decided that the compression sack is unneeded for most of my hikes. I do plan to use the eVent compression sacks next summer on a canoe trip, more because they are dry sacks and less to save space.

Given that you might find yourself carrying a few of the girls' items, you might want to think in terms of 70 liters. The ULA Circuit comes to mind. There are many other fine packs in that category
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast