WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug

Thoughts on the Vertex

So luckily a very nice member here was gracious enough to sell me his brand new Clark Vertex hammock that he purchased during the sale for $449 (same price he paid)!!!

My initial thoughts are pretty good! Setup wasn't bad and it's pretty comfy.

If it helps for reference, I'm 5'11" and 200 pounds.

The part that I'm most pleased about isn't how comfy it is for me, but more my wife. She's 5'5" and 115 pounds and was giddy as soon as she got in . I would have been happy if she said the comfort level was just ok, but happy we could be together.

I set the hammock up outside at 6PM and the temp was around 40F. It was a little chilly considering i didn't have any quilts or bags on hand. Needless to say it was difficult to get her out of the thing so i could take it down. She immediately asked what would happen if she jumped over to my side and i said nothing, it should be fine. In disbelief she said "it's going to break"!!! After a little convincing she jumped over and everything was ok.

I'm going to post some pics up this weekend since it was so dark outside, so stay tooned.

One more thing to mention, I immediately replaced the crappy suspension with 4 6' whoopies and 3 tree straps. It's funny to me that a company that considers themselves to be one of the premier hammock manufacturers can't install something on their hammocks other then that cheesy plastic rope. They don't even offer an option at time of purchase for something nicer.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc, rr, wwm
    Tarp
    HG cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    WL, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We like ours a lot, it is quite huge inside but rather cramped as a hammmock goes. I don't understand why they didn't make the hammock portions wider and the gear storage area so huge. The rope suspension on clarks is really just shameful.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    My husband and I enjoy our Vertex, but I agree the bed portion should be a bit bigger and the storage area in the center a little smaller. It sure is nice to share the same space with my hubby.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst View Post
    We like ours a lot, it is quite huge inside but rather cramped as a hammmock goes. I don't understand why they didn't make the hammock portions wider and the gear storage area so huge. The rope suspension on clarks is really just shameful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    My husband and I enjoy our Vertex, but I agree the bed portion should be a bit bigger and the storage area in the center a little smaller. It sure is nice to share the same space with my hubby.
    I agree on the storage to bed ratio, but it is nice to have someone close by. We're both side sleepers when it comes to hanging and we both found it roomy enough

Shameful is the right word for those ropes

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just got one. I haven't set it up yet as the wife is a fair weather camper. But I can't wait.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Something i'm wondering is what underquilts are people using with these? Also if you have the 2 quilts installed are there any issues when you have a lot of gear in the center section? I would think there may be some interference with the quilts from the gear.

This thing is so heavy that i'm thinking it'll be dedicated for car camping (which i'm totally ok with) and i'm thinking about getting some 3/4 length Arrowhead quilts for it.

Any thoughts???

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Do you guys think a small (50lbs and under) child could sleep in the middle?
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Do you guys think a small (50lbs and under) child could sleep in the middle?
    I would say definitely yes. The instruction manual says that each bed is rated at 300 pounds and the center storage area is rated at 200.

One thing to mention is that it specifically states that it is unsafe and not intended for a human (center storage area).

My wife and i are going to start trying for children in the next few months and i already plan on using that part of this hammock for exactly that purpose. One nice thing about this hammock is that once he/she is old enough for their own place i'll probably move back to my single and mom and he/she can share the vertex

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Something i'm wondering is what underquilts are people using with these? Also if you have the 2 quilts installed are there any issues when you have a lot of gear in the center section? I would think there may be some interference with the quilts from the gear.

This thing is so heavy that i'm thinking it'll be dedicated for car camping (which i'm totally ok with) and i'm thinking about getting some 3/4 length Arrowhead quilts for it.

Any thoughts???

I have used my HG Incubator on it with no problems and also the phoenix. My husband accidently laid on the center portion after a late night visit to the bathroom. He weights over 200 lbs. no problem at all, no rips tears or strains on the material.
    Last edited by Cali; 01-14-2014 at 09:43.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    wbbb xlc, rr, wwm
    Tarp
    HG cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    WL, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My mrs uses a WL ssuq that I think I got from dangerous, I use a Phoenix. Both fit just fine. The gear area is more like a sagging shelf than A hammock so you can't really fit an uq on it. My 4 year old girl fits very well on the gear shelf. My 7 year old boy fits but it's a little short to be able to sleep all night I think. I'd say 6-7 years old is the max for the gear area due to length. The hammock without tarp takes up about a 1/3 of my ula circuit. I think it weighed about 4.5 lbs for the hammock and poles in stuff sacks. So it is backpackable but not really, only in the summer I'd say unless you like to carry 80L packs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast