Hammock
    HH Exp.
    Suspension
    rap. rings

Question rugged HH Exp tarp?

Greetings all,

So i'm currently looking for the most rugged, dependable tarp I can get for my HH expedition. Last summer, while guiding a 90 mile canoe trip through the ADK's, we got hit one night by a freak thunderstorm, climaxing in a microburst that to this day sparks anxiety in windy conditions for me, almost a year later. Long story short, my Asym tarp was torn off my hammock and ended up wrapped in a tree a few hundred yards away, and my sleeping bag, and gear was soaked, and I spent the next 4 days in a damp down sleeping bag, and trying to dry my gear in the sun while paddling. NOT A GOOD SITUATION TO BE IN.

This season I am looking to improve my system so I can sleep a littler easier. I am currently looking as the HH typhoon/monsoon or the wilderness logic bullfrog. I like the idea of doors, and numerous tie off points. Price and weight aren't a huge concern, but I am looking for something that is easy to set up and take down in a timely manner.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, even if they are not tarp related, if you have any tips or tricks that you feel would help me.

Thanks a lot, and happy hangin'

- (Rambo) rich

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Sounds like you need a bunker in that type of storm.

I guess you need to think about where the tarp was ripped. Did the line break? How did it come off? I have been in some HEAVY weather and have never had a problem. If there were problems with the lines then you could consider replacing them.

For me, the big factors for choosing a tarp are weight and coverage. I like the Hennessy Hex.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmer444 View Post
    Greetings all,

So i'm currently looking for the most rugged, dependable tarp I can get for my HH expedition. Last summer, while guiding a 90 mile canoe trip through the ADK's, we got hit one night by a freak thunderstorm, climaxing in a microburst that to this day sparks anxiety in windy conditions for me, almost a year later. Long story short, my Asym tarp was torn off my hammock and ended up wrapped in a tree a few hundred yards away, and my sleeping bag, and gear was soaked, and I spent the next 4 days in a damp down sleeping bag, and trying to dry my gear in the sun while paddling. NOT A GOOD SITUATION TO BE IN.

- (Rambo) rich
    What? You mean you failed to keep your down dry? Shame, shame! You must be more careful!

Well, at least be glad that storm did not land a tree on your head!

Hammock
    HH Exp.
    Suspension
    rap. rings
    yea we are very lucky, numerous fell all around us, and snagged trees were falling periodically for the rest of the night and well into the morning. if you ever go to the southern end of upper Saranac lake, by the bay near chapel island, the damage is very noticeable.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I have the HH Monsoon( or is it the typhoon, i dunno, it's brown). I really like the panels on the end and the extra coverage. I don't worry about changes in wind direction blowing rain and snow in on me. I also found it warmer than my asym tarp as it provides better wind protection, both along the sides and at the ends. That can be either a blessing or a curse depending on the weather I suppose. If the weather is nice I usually fold the tarp out of the way and if it starts to rain during the night I already have my stakes pegged out so all I have to do is slip the tie outs onto them.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    The Hennessy Hex Poly tarp is a sturdy tarp, and we can sew on doors on both ends. Doors are there and ready to deploy without any fiddle factor. If interested, check out the doors on our website below.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    How did you have the asym tarp rigged? If you had it attached to your hammock suspension using the little mitten hooks this was your weak link. I think about any of the "hammock tarps" used around here would hold up just fine. To have a bombproof tarp you need a good strong ridgeline and your anchor points need to be secure. I have a superfly without the doors, a typhoon (could be monsoon) from hennessy with the blast doors and a guide gear 12'x12'. I have one set of beaks for my superfly. I had it up in 40+ mph winds with no problems, my son was using the typhoon and was warm and dry. I think you would be well served by either of these tarps or many of the other vendor tarps you can find around here.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    The Hennessy Hex Poly tarp is a sturdy tarp, and we can sew on doors on both ends. Doors are there and ready to deploy without any fiddle factor. If interested, check out the doors on our website below.
    Donna
    I have to throw a +1 to all of this.

I have the HH Hex poly tarp, with the added doors from 2QZQ. I had them do a custom add of velcro on the ends of those doors, and my shelter is about as bombproof as you can get using nylon.

They do AWESOME work, and the extra coverage of a hex tarp and doors is totally worth it. Given the ability to stake your tarp down low to the ground and closing the doors off (preventing wind from getting in under the tarp to rip it off), it makes a tarp that's pretty much as stable as any tent you're likely to find.

With all of that said...once winds get up there...there's limited protection you're going to get from any kind of fabric material in those kinds of conditions.

• + New Posts